• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Light weight chair

I don't think recliner, lightest and comfiest can be had in one chair. I looked at the Korum Aeronium, which was the lightest I could find, but found it wasn't comfortable, and it felt cold with the cover removed (which you can do to make it lighter). So I swapped it for a Fox Duralite, which is light enough, super-comfy, has big feet, which some of the Korum's don't, and is high enough in the back to slouch and fall asleep in... if that's what a recliner is for... although I can't see the point of a recliner, personally.
There are days when a recliner is just ideal. Lazy summer days on a venue where bites are hard to come by and a long walk isn't required!

Go outdoors had a Westlake chair 2.3 kg good leg system no padding would be good in the rain mesh fabric about £39

I have a Lorum Aeronium Superlite Reclining chair. It's small and compact but mine has been let down by the stitching on the material. It ripped and I had to re-stitch the seat area along one side. I'm not big or heavy so this was very disappointing for such an expensive chair. It's alright but I won't be buying another Korum chair.
Wish I had seen this before I bought a Korum lightweight chair. Simple.... they are rubbish. Had mine 3 months and it's all sagged and bloody uncomfortable

As soon as you go recliner your out of the 3kg mark and starting at over 4kg
Depends on where your priorities lay but some sacrifice needs to be made somewhere
Yep. It was the recline for me. I have a JRC relaxa Reclina and though the chair is comfortable I find that I rarely reclined it to any other than just the one position anyhow. I’ve kept the chair but I now how the Fox duralite and loosing the multi position recline is a small price to pay for the weight saving. It must be said though the legs are incredibly short and with little adjustment to them.

Going off topic slightly, these days I nearly always wear a wide brim Fedora hat when fishing. My cousin had to have the top half of his ear removed a few years ago due to a carcinoma and I’m mindful that I like to keep the sun off both the back of my neck and ears. A lot of the larger recliner chairs have very high backs which make wearing a wide brim hat uncomfortable as it hits the back of the chair, forcing your head forward. Another plus point for the duralight it that the back is relatively low and does not do this.

Yep. It was the recline for me. I have a JRC relaxa Reclina and though the chair is comfortable I find that I rarely reclined it to any other than just the one position anyhow. I’ve kept the chair but I now how the Fox duralite and loosing the multi position recline is a small price to pay for the weight saving. It must be said though the legs are incredibly short and with little adjustment to them.

Going off topic slightly, these days I nearly always wear a wide brim Fedora hat when fishing. My cousin had to have the top half of his ear removed a few years ago due to a carcinoma and I’m mindful that I like to keep the sun off both the back of my neck and ears. A lot of the larger recliner chairs have very high backs which make wearing a wide brim hat uncomfortable as it hits the back of the chair, forcing your head forward. Another plus point for the duralight it that the back is relatively low and does not do this.
I wear a cowboy hat for the same reason but is a tarp version so rain doesnt penetrate

The Trakker Levelite Transformer Chair is without doubt the most comfortable and light weight chair I've owned..
20240720_101833.jpg

Decent titfers and good fishing hats are Tarphats. I’ve got one of the vented ones 👍

Yes that's it. I find though the crown is a little low as I have a big head. Didn't know about the vented variety but will have a look

I also have a Tarphat, though not the ventilated one. My misses calls it my “knob hat” and refuses to be seen out with me if I’m wearing it. To be fair hats don’t suit me that well and the relatively wide brim on Tarphats especially so.
I recently bought a Dorfman Pacific hat of the bay and it’s a dream fit - tight hats give me a pounding headache - and it holds its shape well, and with a narrower brim. She still says I look a knob in it, just slightly less so.

The Trakker Levelite Transformer Chair is without doubt the most comfortable and light weight chair I've owned..

Each to his own, but I couldn't live with a bedchair, with their non-adjustable rear legs. And 4.5kg isn't exactly light, so the compromise over something like a Fox Duralite is weight (+1.3kg) and a lack of functionality.

Anyone after a lightweight, scrunchable sun hat, might want to check out Sunday Afternoons. Not one of the more macho outdoors brands, but guaranteed for life and designed for sun protection. I've had one of their bucket hats, for summer use, for three years and it's still good as new. ( I think they do winter/waterproof hats too.)

Last edited:
I also have a Tarphat, though not the ventilated one. My misses calls it my “knob hat” and refuses to be seen out with me if I’m wearing it. To be fair hats don’t suit me that well and the relatively wide brim on Tarphats especially so.
I recently bought a Dorfman Pacific hat of the bay and it’s a dream fit - tight hats give me a pounding headache - and it holds its shape well, and with a narrower brim. She still says I look a knob in it, just slightly less so.
I know the feeling Haydn, me and hats are very much touch and go, I’m not sure that the vented Tarphat suits me but does a job. It’s going to Barbados and St Lucia with me to watch West Indies v England in November…I hope it enjoys it! I will 👍🤣

Back