• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mainline for trotting

Paul Clotworthy

Going to have few sessions trotting never done it before so want to give it a go
What the best mainline everyone using for this am thinking something 6lb ish
Any other tips on getting me going would be good

Thanks

1. Bargain Basement
Daiwa Sensor, cheap as chips and tough as old boots. 6lb sensor breaks at 8lb ish so be careful.

2. New but good reviews
The Korum glide mono. @Richard Isaacs uses it and likes it. He may chip in with feedback.

3. Pricier but good
Dave Harrell Pro Match is good stuff. I use it on my centrepins for trotting. That and the Edge (not U2) Tackle float mono. Buy the 300m drums. Also worth noting that Preston Float Max is the same price but they only do 150m spools. I like that line a lot too.

Can’t comment on Silstar, but I’d only use Maxima for waggler on still water. Good stuff- some say not what it was. I don’t know because I’m not 107yrs old 🤣

Have used most of them lines

Use Preston on my feeder rods and like it
Silstar on my pole rigs in past
Not uses maxima for years now tho
Never heard of dave Harrell stuff will take a look at this
Just been looking at the korum line might give that a go

Thanks

1. Bargain Basement
Daiwa Sensor, cheap as chips and tough as old boots. 6lb sensor breaks at 8lb ish so be careful.

2. New but good reviews
The Korum glide mono. @Richard Isaacs uses it and likes it. He may chip in with feedback.

3. Pricier but good
Dave Harrell Pro Match is good stuff. I use it on my centrepins for trotting. That and the Edge (not U2) Tackle float mono. Buy the 300m drums. Also worth noting that Preston Float Max is the same price but they only do 150m spools. I like that line a lot too.

Can’t comment on Silstar, but I’d only use Maxima for waggler on still water. Good stuff- some say not what it was. I don’t know because I’m not 107yrs old 🤣
I’ve tried most of them at one point or another and to be fair you’d be hard pushed !to find a bad floating line. Most of them are good.

I switched to the glide line pretty much as it was first released and I’m very set on it
Super buoyant, very low memory and it’s very strong. I’ll continue to stick with this one a good while

If you can find in Sufix Duraflex. Best line I’ve ever used. 10lb.bs is 0.20mm. I use it straight through. If I need to step up then 12lb bs is only 0.22mm.

Went for line today went for the korum 5.5lb and got closed face abu 507 and korum glide float rod and few other bits and bobs gunner give them ago tomorrow

I've just spooled up with this.
IMG_0888.JPG

Seems nice enough. Took the whole lot on a 4012 TDR.

I use the Harrell but have recently bought the Korum glide, excellent buoyancy and comes off the reel beautifully. I used it recently as a leader fly dry fly fishing for river brownies in Scotland and it was better than anything else I've used and seemed far less prone to wind knots in really tricky conditions with very small flies. Great product for the money.

Back