• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Scales

Martin Osmond

Senior Member & Supporter
Looking to purchase a new set of scales ad my 60lb RH specimen hunters are just too big, any suggestions?

Cheers
Martin

There have been several recent ‘scales’ threads on here.

FWIW I carry a pair of £5 eBay digital luggage scales as they are tiny and accurate. I carry some old Avons (or small Reuben dials) as non digital back up.

The Tenchfisher guys are worth listening to as they do scales checking at some of their meetings…….

Second hand avons
Be wary! I’ve owned a set of Avons for fifty plus years and they have been VERY well looked after. I’ve always kept them in a case with a silica gel bag to sort out dampness/condensation. I haven’t used them for years but took them along to The Tenchfishers SGM where they were tested and they were 5oz out. My digitals, a set of Korum and my backup Rueben Heaton 9000 where within an ounce. These tests were carried out with UKAS Calibrated weights. My Avons are now back in the cupboard not coming out even for sentimental reasons.

RH9000s small, light, backlit, tare setting, accurate

There have been several recent ‘scales’ threads on here.

FWIW I carry a pair of £5 eBay digital luggage scales as they are tiny and accurate. I carry some old Avons (or small Reuben dials) as non digital back up.

The Tenchfisher guys are worth listening to as they do scales checking at some of their meetings…….

I did look Tim but only found one recent thread and it was just digital scales, which to be fair I should have said I have no interest in.

Be wary! I’ve owned a set of Avons for fifty plus years and they have been VERY well looked after. I’ve always kept them in a case with a silica gel bag to sort out dampness/condensation. I haven’t used them for years but took them along to The Tenchfishers SGM where they were tested and they were 5oz out. My digitals, a set of Korum and my backup Rueben Heaton 9000 where within an ounce. These tests were carried out with UKAS Calibrated weights. My Avons are now back in the cupboard not coming out even for sentimental reasons.
were they under or over reading Bill

I have 3 or 4 sets of Avons
Always clean them and test close season and they’re always accurate
Not saying I’d trust them on a record fish but been all around the houses on digital, weighmasters , spring balances and keep returning to them
Main issue is the dials getting cloudy and hard to read
T cut or toothpaste normally fettle this

were they under or over reading Bill
Over Richard. I was hoping they would be a bit more accurate but alas not. The one constant though was that they were out by the same amount across four, seven and eleven pounds which were the test weights. Interestingly my electronic Korums were one ounce light at four pounds, spot on at seven pounds and an ounce over at eleven. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m away at the moment but when I get home I’ll post pictures of the test result “report” of all three scales I had tested for anyone interested.

Last edited:
I have hoarded many scales over the years, god knows why because I rarely catch anything worth weighing. 😂

2 sets of avons.
4 sets waymaster/flywight.
RH specimen specimen hunter
Korum, Fox, Berkley, Angling Direct and many other no-name digital scales.

My go to scales are the flyweight scales, 1 is bang on but 3 are out.
The tiny digital korums are spot on as are the RH Specimen scales.

All these are regularly tested with a range of GPO weights

So I use the korums and flywights and leave the big RH in the car.

I would really like the older waymaster/flyweights to be accurate (they were once) so is there any way to service/overhaul these ?
Is there anyway to improve these scales with some replacement customised parts?
I guess that for a cost point of 20 odd pounds these are built with many plastic parts.

Come on Mr Drennan, bring out a mid priced, compact, accurate set of dial scales.

I took a set of Flyweights to RH and asked them to service them for me as they were out a bit. They contacted me a while later and said they couldn't do it and offered me a brand new set for £8 instead. I don't know if it was because it wasn't worth repairing them, but I took up their offer.

Over Richard. I was hoping they would be a bit more accurate but alas not. The one constant though was that they were out by the same amount across four, seven and eleven pounds which were the test weights. Interestingly my electronic Korums were one ounce light at four pounds, spot on at seven pounds and an ounce over at eleven. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m away at the moment but when I get home I’ll post pictures of the test result “report” of all three scales I had tested for anyone interested.
Over????? I never expected that.
Under would be a logical fault as it could be explained by a sticking rack n pinion or a bit of corrosion just causing some resistance to make the weight.

Over reading from a perfect zero would possibly suggest an over stretched spring or some wear in the rack n pinion teeth maybe. Either way it is probably a little more difficult to resolve.

These are accurate. We used to use these in the Coventry matches. You didn't want to draw the scales in those matches though as it took ages to weigh in.

The Flyweights are awful. Had a couple and looked inside a set that was broken and the mechanism was so crude and flimsy I was a amazed considering how popular they are including high profile anglers.
For accuracy I have a set of kg Avons bought when Dr Death aka Clive S had shedloads. But they are too big for roving and kept in car and prefer a Temu cheapy which seems spot on.
I am old enough to remember the Little Samson spring balance were the choice, terrible things, if you caught anything that would worry a record you had to take the fish to a fishmongers for weighing .
up... remember them? 😏

The Flyweights are awful. Had a couple and looked inside a set that was broken and the mechanism was so crude and flimsy I was a amazed considering how popular they are including high profile anglers.
For accuracy I have a set of kg Avons bought when Dr Death aka Clive S had shedloads. But they are too big for roving and kept in car and prefer a Temu cheapy which seems spot on.
I am old enough to remember the Little Samson spring balance were the choice, terrible things, if you caught anything that would worry a record you had to take the fish to a fishmongers for weighing .
up... remember them? 😏

If only they made the Flyweiights to a better quality they would be perfect for me.

I have hoarded many scales over the years, god knows why because I rarely catch anything worth weighing. 😂

2 sets of avons.
4 sets waymaster/flywight.
RH specimen specimen hunter
Korum, Fox, Berkley, Angling Direct and many other no-name digital scales.

My go to scales are the flyweight scales, 1 is bang on but 3 are out.
The tiny digital korums are spot on as are the RH Specimen scales.

All these are regularly tested with a range of GPO weights

So I use the korums and flywights and leave the big RH in the car.

I would really like the older waymaster/flyweights to be accurate (they were once) so is there any way to service/overhaul these ?
Is there anyway to improve these scales with some replacement customised parts?
I guess that for a cost point of 20 odd pounds these are built with many plastic parts.

Come on Mr Drennan, bring out a mid priced, compact, accurate set of dial scales.
I'm about the same - I've accumulated loads over the years. Ironically the more scales I have , the less fish I actually weigh nowadays.
I thought the flyweights would be perfect but I dont think they lasted a season. But something that size and weight but with some robust innards would be perfect.
I would absolutely 100% trust a set of avons to weigh a record fish. In fine working condition they are as reliable as the best there is.
Yeah , you're probably right thinking about it. I'm struggling to think on any I'd trust more than Avons?
A few yars ago I invested in Electro Samsons which I hoped would be my ' forever' scales. Worked fine at first and cross checked against other scales they were bang on. Then I caught a big chub, weighed it and it was a big 7 on the Electro Samsons. I was elated but...it didn't stack up.
Reset them, weighed again and got an insulting 5lb odd... Weighed again...6lb something
At this point I gave up and returned this fish, to this day I don't know what it actually weighed but ive had enough of them to know it was a good 6.
On the same day, I dropped them and that as they say, was that - £50 down the swanny.
Only thing with Avons is I find that I can only use lightweight weigh slings. By this I mean I will hang a wetted sling off the scales and zero them before weighing the fish. If the sling is too heavy they won't zero correctly and can weigh ' heavy'.
Normally only a problem if using retaining/ pike slings. When piking I use RH biggies, which I also rate highly.

Back