• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New centrerpin

Mill Tackle Barbel Catcher for me Martin. Had one since they were released and soon got a second. Proper sturdy with adjustable ratchet!

Mill Tackle Barbel Catcher for me Martin. Had one since they were released and soon got a second. Proper sturdy with adjustable ratchet!
Apparently there’s around 130 in circulation so not an impossible task to find one.

Fetch some brass now mind. Beautiful centre pins. 👍🏻

Apparently there’s around 130 in circulation so not an impossible task to find one.

Fetch some brass now mind. Beautiful centre pins. 👍🏻

No doubt GM would make a very similar reel for less than you would pay for one of those.

The Youngs RS would be a good option, it has an adjustable ratchet/drag for the purpose of legerring in variable flows. The RS is also an excellent reel to trott a float and is great for casting. I've been using the RS a lot since they were first released, so several or more years now, infact I think my first one is no3 and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

No doubt GM would make a very similar reel for less than you would pay for one of those.

The Youngs RS would be a good option, it has an adjustable ratchet/drag for the purpose of legerring in variable flows. The RS is also an excellent reel to trott a float and is great for casting. I've been using the RS a lot since they were first released, so several or more years now, infact I think my first one is no3 and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
I’ve gone off this design of pin now where by you have a central pin loosely supported between bearings and an end float.

Ive got afew of them myself and it’s a design I’m not a fan off if the truth be told.

There’s just too much play from all angles with the bearings being fitted in the bore snug but not tight.
The pin obviously loose in the bearing and then the end float pre set gap and nut on the back just in contact with the bearing, everything is designed to have a little play or wiggle room so that the spool turns freely.

you can get them somewhere decent, but they never feel as smooth or as stable as either a bushing or a design where there’s no end float and the spool is just supported by bearings and a fixed Down with a cap.

I don’t get why young’s use this design. If they pressed the bearings into the bore, did away with the tapered nut, spacer and end float like a kingpin or okuma etc it would feel and run 100 times better or better still
Do away with all these bearing models.

The RS would be loads better as a true pin as would all of my own Young’s pins.

From what I gather, there’s only Young’s and the Fox stratus Young’s copy that adopted this bearing/end float design…..???

Last edited:
I’ve gone off this design of pin now where by you have a central pin loosely supported between bearings and an end float.

Ive got afew of them myself and it’s a design I’m not a fan off if the truth be told.

There’s just too much play from all angles with the bearings being fitted in the bore snug but not tight.
The pin obviously loose in the bearing and then the end float pre set gap and nut on the back just in contact with the bearing, everything is designed to have a little play or wiggle room so that the spool turns freely.

you can get them somewhere decent, but they never feel as smooth or as stable as either a bushing or a design where there’s no end float and the spool is just supported by bearings and a fixed Down with a cap.

I don’t get why young’s use this design. If they pressed the bearings into the bore, did away with the tapered nut, spacer and end float like a kingpin or okuma etc it would feel and run 100 times better or better still
Do away with all these bearing models.

The RS would be loads better as a true pin as would all of my own Young’s pins.

From what I gather, there’s only Young’s and the Fox stratus Young’s copy that adopted this bearing/end float design…..???

I think there's a number of other reels with that set up, the Matt Hayes one and others which I can't remember their names now.
The youngs Triton is a bush and pin reel yet it still has a bit of lateral play, as do most I think.
Out of all the true pin reels that I have ever had the ones with only a very tiny amount of play are the Chris Lythes reels followed by Richard Carters reels. I think CLs are built with amazing tolerances, any more and I don't think the reels would run so freely as they do.

I think there's a number of other reels with that set up, the Matt Hayes one and others which I can't remember their names now.
The youngs Triton is a bush and pin reel yet it still has a bit of lateral play, as do most I think.
Out of all the true pin reels that I have ever had the ones with only a very tiny amount of play are the Chris Lythes reels followed by Richard Carters reels. I think CLs are built with amazing tolerances, any more and I don't think the reels would run so freely as they do.
You’re always going to have some play because the spool has to come off. That’s fully acceptable but bearings that are not fixed hard on either surface and are allowed some degree of wiggle room is just going to always cause more feel and more noise than necessary
I’ve got nothing against the use of bearings if they are pressed in to the spool on the outside case and fitted down to the pin properly on the inside race.
This way a bearing can operate practically free of noise vibration and movement.

If I was going to design a bearing pin,
1 substantially sized bearing would be pressed into the spool on the outside and the pin would be pressed into the center of the bearing.

You remove the spool in one whole lot with the pin from the back plate which would need to be quick, tool free and obviously self centering

It’s the only way you can get perfect motion amazingly free running (depending on bearing speed) and zero play
The tricky part would be designing the pin to line up exactly in the centre every time it’s put back.

Some sort of conical design perhaps 😉
Shame I don’t have the equipment to have a crack at something like this. It would be awesome to build yourself one from scratch. Especially if you did something different to the norm.

IMG_3768.jpeg

Kingpin Imperial is the best CP I've ever used, and I've been through a few!! Amazing build quality.

View attachment 29444
Kingpin Imperial is the best CP I've ever used, and I've been through a few!! Amazing build quality.
I love the reels I think they are fantastic float pins, such a shame kingpin isn’t interested in us uk folk. You’ll get nothing if you ever need a bit of support for it.
I bought a mk1 zep earlier this year in need of a rear bearing. In the end I got board of writing to myself and no answer to calls so I just sourced and replaced them myself with Japanese ezo rollers.
Glad I did because this thing runs like a Rolex watch on those jap runners

That looks amazing in black on that stunning conny btw

I love the reels I think they are fantastic float pins, such a shame kingpin isn’t interested in us uk folk. You’ll get nothing if you ever need a bit of support for it.
I bought a mk1 zep earlier this year in need of a rear bearing. In the end I got board of writing to myself and no answer to calls so I just sourced and replaced them myself with Japanese ezo rollers.
Glad I did because this thing runs like a Rolex watch on those jap runners

That looks amazing in black on that stunning conny btw
Never had a need to contact them after purchasing 5 years for so ago - the website is very US focused!!

which ezo rollers did you use? Asking in case I ever need them!

Never had a need to contact them after purchasing 5 years for so ago - the website is very US focused!!

which ezo rollers did you use? Asking in case I ever need them!
I’d like to think that kingpin would keep things standardized and use the same bearing size on all current models.
However I can’t confirm that for sure but here’s the size for my zeppelin
I just ordered a pair in this size of EZO bearings. Stainless steel
IMG_4559.jpeg

Back