• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Harrison 11' Avon 1.6lb

Which quiver tip manufacturer did you use out of interest?

Was thinking of having a free spirit quiver tip on a future build as it happens, but have had a few people mention that those carbon tips are brittle.... Which is news to me by the way! 🤔
I hear hollow carbon tips may be brittle.

Which quiver tip manufacturer did you use out of interest?

Was thinking of having a free spirit quiver tip on a future build as it happens, but have had a few people mention that those carbon tips are brittle.... Which is news to me by the way! 🤔
The lighter tips 0.5-2.5 oz are glass. Oh, I am referring to tips for barbel rods, maybe the tips for hi s feeder are all carbon.

Richard, does that mean any rod buikded that uses Harrison blanks is able to get a spliced tip from them?
you’d have to consult with the builder and also the tip rating would change depending on the blank action. For example they are not going to splice a 2oz tip into a 2lb torrix

I had chimera ones built by peregrine rods.
They were 1.5lb rods with 3oz tips spliced into them and that worked.
A Torrix 1.75 would need at least 4-5oz tip to blend with the blanks action so that needs to be considered

you’d have to consult with the builder and also the tip rating would change depending on the blank action. For example they are not going to splice a 2oz tip into a 2lb torrix

I had chimera ones built by peregrine rods.
They were 1.5lb rods with 3oz tips spliced into them and that worked.
A Torrix 1.75 would need at least 4-5oz tip to blend with the blanks action so that needs to be considered
Yes that's what Roger told me on my 11 tortix which had a 4oz

No this is correct. It is cut and spliced but this process is done at the factory by Harrison
I though otherwise, jumped to conclusions regrettably, so yet again Richard, I bow to your superior knowledge . Roger will get a 3oz for my 1.6 avon and build to match the rod ofcourse at a very reasonable cost but couriers fees kill it really as we live 150 miles apart. I hope to get west this year sometime over the summer so will try and liase for a collection , as indeed I did with the avon in '22.

I might very well make the trip down Alec, I'll get to see some of the ready builds whilst I'm there.... Making sure the wallets nowhere near! 🤣
I am not sure how many rods he keeps in stock. I get the impression its a more bespoke service. I know he had some health issues around covid time but when I saw him again to collect my avon 18 months ago I was delighted to see how well he looked.
I was a little apprehensive before I had a day with him on the wye back in summer '19 bearing in mind he seemed to have gained a reputation for not suffering fools etc, but he suffered me fine and I had a great day. Love to do it again in fact. I like him immensely, a very special one off!
Saw too, 9 kingfishers in flight simultaneously, on the opposite bank. Might have been more but I had one hand on the rod so struggled to count after 5 and had boots on, so that didn't help either .Ha!

I am not sure how many rods he keeps in stock. I get the impression its a more bespoke service. I know he had some health issues around covid time but when I saw him again to collect my avon 18 months ago I was delighted to see how well he looked.
I was a little apprehensive before I had a day with him on the wye back in summer '19 bearing in mind he seemed to have gained a reputation for not suffering fools etc, but he suffered me fine and I had a great day. Love to do it again in fact. I like him immensely, a very special one off!
Saw too, 9 kingfishers in flight simultaneously, on the opposite bank. Might have been more but I had one hand on the rod so struggled to count after 5 and had boots on, so that didn't help either .Ha!
Yeah, I heard the same, but he's been as good as gold & been very helpful towards me & my requests for the rods.
I'm not bombarding him with texts etc, so maybe that helps 🤣

He know what works and what doesn't. Just fishingvan afternoon session. 4 mice carp 3 double best to 15 ish. Including one called bullhead due its shaped head . Best short spell in ages.

Back