• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Burton Mutual.

I've had a Scunthorpe ticket for a few years but dropped it the last couple but thinking of rejoining so as I can fish the tidal which I've never done.
Are there stretches good Simon ??
Yes the sections on tidal are good but they fish better into darkness and through the night a lot of the times and it’s a two year wait for a night ticket

It's £100 now, Neil. They put it up from £80 last year.
Well if it's Barbel you want and they are a rarity I can see your point. I would happily pay that and more for a ticket on the Trent that have a Barbel or two. But it seems even the mighty Trent is now patchy.

There is Barbel there, Neil. Not many and I just can't catch them. So for me, its money better spent elsewhere. Further downstream. 👍

I tried, but it didn't come off. Hey ho.

There is Barbel there, Neil. Not many and I just can't catch them. So for me, its money better spent elsewhere. Further downstream. 👍

I tried, but it didn't come off. Hey ho.
It's probably a good thing to have a change of venue Simon to fire up the enthusiasm. Do the Barbel congregate to the upper reaches for spawning early season as they do on the Severn ?

It's probably a good thing to have a change of venue Simon to fire up the enthusiasm. Do the Barbel congregate to the upper reaches for spawning early season as they do on the Severn ?
The Upper never holds enough barbel to constitute what you'd call a congregation Neil. I've fished it, and can confirm it's rock hard up there, certainly the hardest venue I've fished. Think ten times harder than the Lower Sev on a bad day.

I've never seen Barbel spawning on the sections I fish, Neil. There aren't many area's suitable for it TBH, odd bits, but not many. We aren't allowed to be on the bank during the close season either (the club change the locks, allegedly) So no fish spotting or baiting up.

I'll miss it when I'm done. It's a lovely bit of the river to be sat beside, and so handy for me being only 30 minutes away. But with there being very few Barbel, the cost of the ticket, the club's apparent apathy towards their river sections, it's time for me to move on at the end of the year.

The Upper never holds enough barbel to constitute what you'd call a congregation Neil. I've fished it, and can confirm it's rock hard up there, certainly the hardest venue I've fished. Think ten times harder than the Lower Sev on a bad day.
Blimey John that's a tough gig.😉

I've never seen Barbel spawning on the sections I fish, Neil. There aren't many area's suitable for it TBH, odd bits, but not many. We aren't allowed to be on the bank during the close season either (the club change the locks, allegedly) So no fish spotting or baiting up.

I'll miss it when I'm done. It's a lovely bit of the river to be sat beside, and so handy for me being only 30 minutes away. But with there being very few Barbel, the cost of the ticket, the club's apparent apathy towards their river sections, it's time for me to move on at the end of the year.
What I do is set my sights on Chub mainly now and any Barbel is a bonus such is the nature of the Warks Avon. I also enjoy other species and roach and just lately perch are great sport , but the never ending flooded rivers have been the problem for me.

The Upper Trent is a very different beast to the Middle or Tidal River. I admire anyone who has the tenacity and resolve to continue to persevere with it, but it wasn't for me. I dropped my BMAA ticker a few years ago with the demise of the Dove.
Newark Piscatorials is a good option with the water they've got, as is Nottingham Anglers Association, both reasonably priced. The Worksop and District card is good value at £30, they have water at Winthorpe that runs all the way down through Holme Marsh to just above Cromwell weir. Plus a stretch on the Tidal at Normanton. No night fishing though

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_105550_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_105550_Chrome.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20240320_105506_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_105506_Chrome.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 46

That's me done then. Didn't really fish anywhere else.
Hi Simon are you going to bite the bullet and go for the Newark & District Pisc Fed ticket for next season. If you do let me know and we will get some dates organised for fishing days.

My ticket runs out in late June, I was going to re join until the new renewal date of January, then give it best. Now Cuttlebrook has gone, I'm not sure. I'm thinking I may go back to the Dove for the six months. Cuttlebrook was so handy for a early night session with it being 25 minutes away and the Dove is twice as far, but I know it.

Yes, I'll probably end up there. Fished it a few times, mainly near the second gate swims. No Barbel, but some Chub. It is nice to have the wind at your back there rather than in your face at Cuttlebrook.

Milton is awkward to get to from home, as is Walton and Catton. I just wanted somewhere localish I can get to after work for a few hours for this season. Cuttlebrook was ideal for that, albeit rock hard.

Don't suppose I should be that down hearted as I wasn't going to re join until they altered the joining date.

Back