• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Loss of fish haunting - redemption

I was hoping for some support on this issue but it doesn't look likes it coming , why why why do you take the chance that sharp twig doesn't catch the eye or a couple of scales are lost all for the sake of " i cant be arsed " , "its ok its on grass " , if i ran a club it would be mandortory that ALL fish are laid on a mat especially when being photod , if that fish decided to flip and roll around no ones holding it and whose to say what it rolls onto/ into , come on ffs , mats are cheap and lightweight , doesnt take much carrying , why risk ANY injury all because the captor thinks grass is better than a mat , beggars belief in this day and age
I do agree with you about the mat but I have to bite my tongue and ignore it
I always use a mat and it’s even in the barbel society handling code but hey what do they know

It's not covered in mud and being kept out for a protracted self take, it's not flapping around on gravel or concrete, or left in a carp cradle for 5 minutes, or put on a baking hot, dry unhooking mat. The fish is on soft ground and having a 2 second photo in the net. I'm all for mats but this really doesn't look like something worth slating someone for. How did Chris Yates manage with all those carp and barbel, is he now a pariah for taking those lovely photos of fish laid on reeds or grass?

Seems i'm in the minority here on the mat issue , seems grass is a better alternative so i'll bow to those who know better and not comment on fish welfare on here anymore
You’re not in the minority Chris, I am a full time mat user myself, but there was no way I was going to support you or anyone that puts the point across like that.
I have so much time for Andy Burt whether we do things on the bank differently or not and calling him a muppet is something I couldn’t ever support. Me n Ian cross swords enough times on this subject but we do it in a manner that isn’t blatantly insulting each other and agree to disagree on it.

I think the the thread is overdue a tidy up. I’ll message Paul now and get that sorted because there is a thread open already on this topic.

There was a time, in the dim and distant past , when you could call a spade a spade and talk to each other like you would on the bank or in the pub or works canteen but it seems now that those days are gone and we have to be soo careful of upsetting peoples feelings , if putting fish on grass / bank/ etc is ok then you crack on and i'll carry on putting fish on a mat but dont expect me to pussyfoot around those who think its ok not to use a mat because grass, in their mind , is better .

I carry and use a mat on every trip.
I use a korum fast mat with sides to protect the fish even more than a normal flat mat.
I also hold my fish up for self take photos ( over a mat and low to the ground)
In 50 years of angling I can honestly say that I have never harmed a fish in my life through neglect.
Nice fish Andrew.
I would love to see every angler carry a mat and If Chris's comments help towards that then Amen!

Regards
John

Personally I think if you are going to espouse the use of mat, then that is fine, but once you lift that fish from that mat for a trophy shot, above the mat or not, you've lost any position of ethics you had. You have zero right to be angry about a point that is only subjectively contested but not objectively considered.

Personally I think if you are going to espouse the use of mat, then that is fine, but once you lift that fish from that mat for a trophy shot, above the mat or not, you've lost any position of ethics you had. You have zero right to be angry about a point that is only subjectively contested but not objectively considered.
We all have our opinions Damian and that is all they are.
I don't get angry just frustrated at times.
I guess if I were that concerned about holding a fish up for a 'trophy' shot, I'd play more golf!

There was a time, in the dim and distant past , when you could call a spade a spade and talk to each other like you would on the bank or in the pub or works canteen but it seems now that those days are gone and we have to be soo careful of upsetting peoples feelings , if putting fish on grass / bank/ etc is ok then you crack on and i'll carry on putting fish on a mat but dont expect me to pussyfoot around those who think its ok not to use a mat because grass, in their mind , is better .
Chris, like others, and yourself, i will ALWAYS use a wet mat, but what about the days before mats were made/introduced, what did anglers do ? they looked for a bit of soft ground/grass. Some of the older generation still do it today, they don't know any different. I think the way you slated and abused Andy, was very unjust and un called for. The poor man is struggling just to get to the bank, after his second knee replacement, you should be encouraging rather than slating him.

That Barbel is no stranger to the pie shop is it , what a porker ! Great story , and well done for giving it a go despite your mobility issues .Round these parts a 12lb Barbel is a very big fish , nay a whopper ! I would suggest you get a large unhooking mat with a grass design printed on it ...

Last edited:
That Barbel is no stranger to the pie shop is it , what a porker ! Great story , and well done for giving it a go despite your mobility issues .Round these parts a 12lb Barbel is a very big fish , nay a whopper ! I would suggest you get a large unhooking mat with a grass design printed on it ...
I don’t know of many places in the country where I wouldn’t call a 12lb barbel a whopper. They certainly ain’t gracing my net here in the south on a regular basis 😜

Exactly....

There seems to be quite a few around there 5-8lb as well as the bigger ones. A mate caught that fish at Christmas and I weighed it for him, it was the same, just seems a strange shape
I’ve had 8-12lb in the Warks Avon but nothing smaller (which is a shame).

These have been nearer the Warwick area vs. Harvington / other popular places

Back