• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Loss of fish haunting - redemption

Alan , i get frustrated by barbel anglers refusal to use mats stating " its on grass " and thats why i get angry , i wont apologise for my angry response , 2024 and barbel anglers still treatbfish welfare like the 1950's
And it’s probably perfectly appropriate to get angry. Still good to think about how you’re going to win people over though 👍🏻

12lb 2oz??? That would be big enough for me! Great story and lovely fish. Well done 👍

Why oh why oh why cant you muppets lay a barbel on a mat ffs ! Is it that difficult in this day and age to just carry a mat and use it on a big fish or any fish come to that , dont give me all that soft grass bullshit , get a mat and use it !!!!!
You really do come across as a self righteous keyboard warrior Chris, truly a mu*****

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no keyboard warrior you melt , i'm happy to say face to face how i feel about fish welfare and i'm not afraid to state i public how i feel about it , you carry on dumping fish on the deck and i'll carry on critisizing you for doing it @

Great story Andrew👍
I had a funny day last Friday
Conditions were good but river was a bit higher and pushing harder than I anticipated.
Sod’s Law all I’d brought were ‘ chub’ rods , lighter feeders and maggots.Cest la vie.
Realised I’d left my brolly behind and a deluge was forecast at noon
I’d also forgot my scales
And the maggots all died( more likely in a comatose state) but wriggling they ain’t
First chuck in, feeder had barely touched the deck and a massive thwack on the rod
I struck….into thin air. Everything had gone and I assumed a pike had nailed the feeder
So I took a break and put a pike bait out on a sleeper rod. And waited. And waited…
Continued battling with the river allowing the feeder to find its own position in the flow, nowhere near where I wanted but I did have 3 limp pink maggots on the hook!
No one was more surprised than me when the tip rattled and I was into a good fish,which I played upstream only for it to shake its head and snap my 6lb hooklink.
Fish 2 Paul 0
Retackled and repeated the process
15 minutes or so later, drop back and I hit it.
Thought I was snagged but whatever it was I was slowly moving. I was certain it was a branch as there was no feedback whatsoever until it came within netting distance, there was a huge eruption under my feet and it was gone- I suspect a very big pike that didn’t know it was hooked?
3-0
Under normal circumstances I might have binned it but stuff was happening , dead maggots weren’t that much of a drawback and the fish were having a peck
Onwards and upwards
Bang on time the rain arrived, and literally at the exact same time, a pal arrived with a brolly to lend me - what a hero.
Next Chuck- chub about 3lb, blank averted👍
Then another, and another and I was in the swing. Then a strange bite on the drop and a more dogged fight , went to net the fish and through the coloured water I see a very beautiful and porky perch, and she’s in the net.In that moment my day was made- I was ecstatic. Rested her triple checking the net was pinned down hard and slipped & slid down river to a pal to loan a set of scales.
She went 2-8 and a minter
IMG_0835.jpeg

A few minutes later another perch , this one just under 2lb but equally as pretty
Then the chub were back on, all 3-4lb
Then the long dormant sleeper pike rod went off , a very spirited battle saw me slip the net under a scraper double

IMG_0845.jpeg

Back on the feeder and a lull before another drop back and a slow ponderous fight with what was clearly a good fish.It stayed deep, used the flow and I gingerly draw it upstream
I thought it would be a barbel, despite the cold conditions and it was - a good double, as I watched it roll in front of me , flick its tail and in a second and with a burst of summer like power it had done me…. Again
To be honest I was upset but the perch had still made my day and if only I could get another ?
So back in again with the soggy maggots.
Little rattle on the tip and I hit it
Another good fish, just like the barbel 10 minutes earlier, a deep , slow dogged fight but this time I backed the clutch off more than I would normally - a bit out of practice and confidence a bit battered?
This time the fish came right under my feet and I was pleased to be close to landing a February barbel
I bent into it to get it up through the water, and nearly had a breakdown when what I saw was a huge chub under the net
Panic set in, and I bumped her with the first netting attempt but thank goodness I got her second attempt
I honestly thought she was a big 7
So again I rested her in the net, triple checking it was pinned down and off I went again down the increasingly treacherous river bank to loan a set of scales
I was surprised but still delighted - she was 6-8 but another absolute mint condition fish, not a scale missing and in prime condition
Plenty of room in the belly to be a very big chub
IMG_0849.jpeg

So what a day- this sport never fails to amaze
And I promise I used a mat👍

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpeg
    IMG_0846.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 32
Great story Andrew👍
Conditions were good but river was a bit higher and pushing harder than I anticipated.
Sod’s Law all I’d brought were ‘ chub’ rods , lighter feeders and maggots.Cest la vie.
And the maggots all died( more likely in a comatose state) but wriggling they ain’t
First chuck in, feeder had barely touched the deck and a massive thwack on the rod
I struck….into thin air. Everything had gone and I assumed a pike had nailed the feeder
So I took a break and put a pike bait out on a sleeper rod. And waited. And waited…
Continued battling with the river allowing the feeder to find its own position in the flow, nowhere near where I wanted but I did have 3 limp pink maggots on the hook!
No one was more surprised than me when the tip rattled and I was into a good fish,which I played upstream only for it to shake its head and snap my 6lb hooklink.
Fish 2 Paul 0
Thought I was snagged but whatever it was I was slowly moving. I was certain it was a branch as there was no feedback whatsoever until it came within netting distance, there was a huge eruption under my feet and it was gone- I suspect a very big pike that didn’t know it was hooked?
3-0
Under normal circumstances I might have binned it but stuff was happening , dead maggots weren’t that much of a drawback and the fish were having a peck
Onwards and upwards
Bang on time the rain arrived, and literally at the exact same time, a pal arrived with a brolly to lend me - what a hero.
Then another, and another and I was in the swing. Then a strange bite on the drop and a more dogged fight , went to net the fish and through the coloured water I see a very beautiful and porky perch, and she’s in the net.In that moment my day was made- I was ecstatic. Rested her triple checking the net was pinned down hard and slipped & slid down river to a pal to loan a set of scales.
View attachment 28842

A few minutes later another perch , this one just under 2lb but equally as pretty
Then the long dormant sleeper pike rod went off , a very spirited battle saw me slip the net under a scraper double

View attachment 28844

Back on the feeder and a lull before another drop back and a slow ponderous fight with what was clearly a good fish.It stayed deep, used the flow and I gingerly draw it upstream
I thought it would be a barbel, despite the cold conditions and it was - a good double, as I watched it roll in front of me , flick its tail and in a second and with a burst of summer like power it had done me…. Again
To be honest I was upset but the perch had still made my day and if only I could get another ?
Another good fish, just like the barbel 10 minutes earlier, a deep , slow dogged fight but this time I backed the clutch off more than I would normally - a bit out of practice and confidence a bit battered?
This time the fish came right under my feet and I was pleased to be close to landing a February barbel
I bent into it to get it up through the water, and nearly had a breakdown when what I saw was a huge chub under the net
Panic set in, and I bumped her with the first netting attempt but thank goodness I got her second attempt
So again I rested her in the net, triple checking it was pinned down and off I went again down the increasingly treacherous river bank to loan a set of scales
I was surprised but still delighted - she was 6-8 but another absolute mint condition fish, not a scale missing and in prime condition
View attachment 28845

Loved your story, Paul, thanks for sharing it with us. A chub to be proud of, definitely jealous.👍
G.T.

I was hoping for some support on this issue but it doesn't look likes it coming , why why why do you take the chance that sharp twig doesn't catch the eye or a couple of scales are lost all for the sake of " i cant be arsed " , "its ok its on grass " , if i ran a club it would be mandortory that ALL fish are laid on a mat especially when being photod , if that fish decided to flip and roll around no ones holding it and whose to say what it rolls onto/ into , come on ffs , mats are cheap and lightweight , doesnt take much carrying , why risk ANY injury all because the captor thinks grass is better than a mat , beggars belief in this day and age
I appreciate what you say regarding mats and that fish care should be of utmost importance, however even though I carry a mat it is inevitable that a fish that has been rested will at times manage to either slide or wriggle its way way off said mat and inevitably ends up in the grass. Unless we carry more mats than allied carpets we can't prevent it. Surely the most important thing is to ensure that the fish is safe, secure and rested before release rather than worry about which soft medium its lying on. One further thought Chris, I do not possess a photo of myself posing with a fish which I could possibly drop, do you?

Great story Andrew👍
Fish 2 Paul 0
3-0
Onwards and upwards
View attachment 28842

View attachment 28844

View attachment 28845

Cracking chub pal and all in all a great day's fishing

Great story Andrew👍
Fish 2 Paul 0
3-0
Onwards and upwards
View attachment 28842

View attachment 28844

View attachment 28845

What a day👍

Just a thought regarding the original post. I had a day on the Wye some years ago where I was fishing a new swim and it took me a few fish to get the hang of it. There was a snag out there and after a few lost fish I worked out if I struck in a certain direction, then walked in another direction then I seemed to land the fish. The first few fish I lost I got snapped somewhere near the hook. I caught both those fish in the afternoon and could remove the other hooks.

Fish handling is just common sense really. I unhook in the net and rarely remove fish onto a mat. The mat imo is just a reason to prolong the out of water time..some might believe it is a must to lay the fish on a mat, I don't all the necessary faffing around can be done in the net and better if possible in the water.

The carpers on the whole do use all the gear to unhook and weigh, photograph etc...but carp are much more tolerant not so Barbel, I understand that we on here know this but it might be worth repeating.

Good to see an Avon fish...they are becoming a rarity, especially the smaller breeding fish, these large females are a feature that is indicative of the lack of males. However that is some belly on her?

Fish handling is just common sense really. I unhook in the net and rarely remove fish onto a mat. The mat imo is just a reason to prolong the out of water time..some might believe it is a must to lay the fish on a mat, I don't all the necessary faffing around can be done in the net and better if possible in the water.

The carpers on the whole do use all the gear to unhook and weigh, photograph etc...but carp are much more tolerant not so Barbel, I understand that we on here know this but it might be worth repeating.

Good to see an Avon fish...they are becoming a rarity, especially the smaller breeding fish, these large females are a feature that is indicative of the lack of males. However that is some belly on her?
There seems to be quite a few around there 5-8lb as well as the bigger ones. A mate caught that fish at Christmas and I weighed it for him, it was the same, just seems a strange shape

I'm sure we have all lost a big fish we never saw and we keep living that feeling and experience? Well, I cannot get out much or go far because of my recent op but the weather Sunday was such that I had to - for a few hours at least. I managed on my crutches to get my gear to a very safe peg on the Warwickshire Avon and set up for a few hours. After about an hour I hooked a decent chub that took the large meat offering, it fell off. Then I missed two bites, thinking the meat was too large a portion I punched a smaller bit out. The next bite I hooked what I thought was a very big chub, that is until I got it in close when it powered off down the river. I repeated this a few times, it was a heavy lump and I was wondering just how big. Eventually it was under my rod end and I lifted only to feel a juddering as the barbel entered a previously unknown snag. It went back and forth, I slack lined and couldn't loosen it. Eventually I could not feel any pulling back, it had gone, I pulled for a break and retrieved everything but the hook. I was gutted and could think of little else than what might have been, the possibility I had lost a special fish.

I commented to a mate that barbel could be a bit daft and I thought there was a slim chance it would feed the next day. So, yesterday I returned and repeated the struggle to the peg except this time it had a cold easterly and rain. I sat there in the rain and after two hours the tip went around. I hooked the fish and realised quickly it was another big barbel. The more the fight went on it repeated the performance from the previous day and I thought I had hooked the same fish. This time I was wary of the snag and after a protracted battle close in I netted it. The first thing I did after resting her for a few minutes was to check in the mouth, was it the same one? i couldn't believe it, there was my hook from the previous day! For once I wasn't going to add another to the list of what might have been, the relief was immense!

Inevitably it wasn't the giant my imagination led me to believe but still a great fish at 12lb 2oz and that haunting exorcised! View attachment 28837View attachment 28838
Still a cracking fish Andy well done especially over coming your mobility problems

Back