• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chasing chub....

I knew it wasn't a good idea to go wading yesterday, the river was 17 inches above the maximum level I usually wade out in. Due to several factors I don't like wading when the river has this much water on, one of them being the power of the flow against me when standing on slippy bolders of various sizes, not being able to see the bottom and where I am stepping, and I really dislike wearing chest waders lol.
Anyhow, as I expected the session was a disaster, I only managed a chub of a couple of pounds and a small barbel. Even after pulling my bait pouch up high on my waist the bottom of it was in the water and my magg's got soaked and you know how horrible it is when that happens. Very shortly after catching the little barbel the wind picked up and it started raining...horizontal rain!... so I decided to cut the session down to less than an hour.
My drennan acolyte specimen float rods still haven't had their metal tested properly, fingers crossed for the next time out with them.
Even if i'd caught a large chub or barbel yesterday I wouldn't have waded back to the bank with it to take a picture, but I may have switched my camera on as I did with the tiddler yesterday...

Nice clip Ian!

Think we met on the river a week or so ago and had a chat. I recognise the rod/reel combo and the greys jacket. I was the guy fishing upstream from you, who found that huge pike lure 😬.

Cheers Ian, lost a barbel late on that day, having caught plenty of silverfish on my maggot feeder rod. Hoping to get out later this week, either there again or on one of the other stretches we talked about :p.

Yea, not good when you loose a fish, but there's always another day 🙂.

Drennnan one is good my one not sure if the same with others the weld sharp where it sort of folds over catches my zip every time and anoyes the hell out of me

I had a go on a different river today, again with hopes of testing the new 13ft acolyte specimen float rods metal.
It was a very blustery day accompanied with numerous showers and the temperature was 8.5 degrees, so a little cooler than of late. The river was flowing up above it's normal level, but just a nice level to fish. The fishing was a little slow to start with and I managed to catch a few chub, all small ones with best couple guesstimated at about two pound, I also had a few dace mixed in amongst the chub. After trying several more swims as I roved along the bank and not a sign of any fish I was happy and surprised when I dropped into a swim containing some barbel and I finnished up catching three tiddly ones and two decent ones out of the swim, at least the 13 footer has been tested a little more....I am still impressed with these rods!

Two of the smaller barbel...

One of the better ones.....

I have the 15ft version. I can’t compare it with the 12ft so maybe they are different but mines landed a good few doubles 2 of which were on ladypit to 11.12 (very narrow very snaggy section of the Trent.)
it’s an extremely powerful rod indeed if you ain’t timid with it and get it belted right over. 8lb line straight through and fully locked up they soon roll right over.

Mines done over 100 barbel this season so more than tested

I think people expect a “power” float to be a stiff poker. Not the case at all. Geoff sailsbury proved this when he developed carbotec.

While there’s an active float fishing / float rod thread…

I have an interesting rod, it’s a Hi-S 12ft Special float rod.

Factory built, I bought it from Birmingham Angling Centre a couple of years ago and suspect it was old stock.

It’s a modern Hi-S build but I can’t find any info on it. I suspected it was a 12ft Special Power float rod but the ‘Power’ is missing from the graphic and the writing on the rod bag. It’s also a noticeable step down in blank diameter and power from my 15ft and 13ft versions too.

Anyone got any info?

I’ve only ever used it for coarse lake fishing with my young son.

I have been keeping my eye on the river levels, weather etc and trying to spy an opening to go fishing. I decided to have a go today as the river levels had dropped to wadable level if I wore my chesties.
Round these parts the last couple of nights have been cold, during the night and into the mid morning weve had a covering of frost on the car and grass etc. I was still confident in catching some chub and dace, but I wasn't confident in coaxing a barbel to take a moving bait.
I don't know what the waters temp's were but it felt cold on my hands and I could definately feel the cold coming through my breathable waders.
Anyhow, enough waffling, I fished for about 21 /2 hours and caught about 20 or so chub, a few dace and I was lucky enough to catch a solitary barbel. I used the 14ft speci acolyte rod and it was great....what a rod drennan have produced in these speci acolytes!

Morning All
I'm hoping to have a few days fishing somewhere different next week, weather and river levels allowing if course.
Could anyone point me in direction of free or day ticket stretches of the Thames where there's a chance of of chub or two ?
It's not somewhere I've ever fished and a a two or three hour drive so any info appreciated.
Thanks.

You can buy day tickets online for most of the Reading and District Thames venues via their website. Chub are present in all to good sizes. The issue as you indicate , will be levels and flow . A 3 hour drive at present would be not be prudent and given the forecast this may something for next season.

You can buy day tickets online for most of the Reading and District Thames venues via their website. Chub are present in all to good sizes. The issue as you indicate , will be levels and flow . A 3 hour drive at present would be not be prudent and given the forecast this may something for next season.
Thanks David

Back