• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Digital scales

Hi all can anyone point me in the rite direction on a good set ov digital scales...please no korum ones as use a set this year just got them out my bag and the screens half missing ..ps I'm a roving angler so not big bulky things ...thanks in advance
Hi Robert - I find Berkley scales to be very good !!!

or these ones - I have both

Sorry to buck the trend, however I've had my Korums for a decade or more, and they're fab. Lost the battery cover a few years ago, so just cover in gorilla tape. Battery lasts eons!
It may be that the manufacturing process has changed and they're now not as good as they once were.
When your fishing rivers like the upper and the dove scale batteries become non consumable 🤣

Sorry to buck the trend, however I've had my Korums for a decade or more, and they're fab. Lost the battery cover a few years ago, so just cover in gorilla tape. Battery lasts eons!
It may be that the manufacturing process has changed and they're now not as good as they once were.
Have to agree my Korum digitals are great. I replace the battery every so often (£2.00 but always carry a spare) but I suppose fishing the D. Derwent my batteries may also be classed as non consumable, I hope. Either that or I am really bad at fishing 😁.

Last time I used my Avons it was peeing down, late at night. My pal and I just couldn't read the damn things with the rain and reflections from our head lamps.
So invested in some RH 9000s and not looked back since. Easy to read, no bouncing about trying to zero, smaller and lighter. I just regularly check battery condition to ensure no leakage.
What I use as main ones.
Have 2 x Avons as well. Check against each other and always spot on

avons are extremely easy to work on which I like a lot.
I’ve taken quite a few faulty sets and got em back pulling perfect zero’s
Fancy sorting a set for a customer 😉 stopped using mine a couple of seasons back, the small wheel at the back for zeroing doesn’t turn like it should. Kind of seized/ tightened up? Plus I wonder how accurately they weigh now. Is that something you could look at?

Fancy sorting a set for a customer 😉 stopped using mine a couple of seasons back, the small wheel at the back for zeroing doesn’t turn like it should. Kind of seized/ tightened up? Plus I wonder how accurately they weigh now. Is that something you could look at?
I will have a look at them for you no problem.
Send em when you like but they might be a week or so before I can get em back as I’m in the middle of a house move but I’m sure I can fix those little things and set em up accurate

Scales are Done.
Bang on now.
Didn’t need much to be fair.
Took them apart, removed the corrosion from the moving parts and put them back together with a little clean.
I’ve checked the accuracy right through with known weights from a couple oz up to 17lb and they are really really dead on the nail. I’d have full confidence in using them
IMG_3737.jpeg

I’ll get em back next week

Scales are Done.
Bang on now.
Took them apart, removed the corrosion from the moving parts and put them back together with a little clean.
I’ve checked the accuracy right through with known weights from a couple oz up to 17lb and they are really really dead on the nail. I’d have full confidence in using them View attachment 28518
Brilliant Richard! They look brand new in the photo!
Really appreciate that, will message you my address. No rush like I said, looking forward to going back the avons now.
Let me know how much I owe you. Thanks again

Scales are Done.
Bang on now.
I’ve checked the accuracy right through with known weights from a couple oz up to 17lb and they are really really dead on the nail. I’d have full confidence in using them View attachment 28518
Rich,
That looks an absolute picture. What’s the secret for cleaning the dial screen or was it this clear to start with ?
Regards
Bill

great job Richard, I'll be digging mine out for you soon !

Thanks.
Let’s get the season over with first and we’ll go from there.
I’d like to start the feeders back up as a priority when I get my new garage up and in order.
reel services I’ve kinda put a hold on too but will be firing on all cylinders in a couple months.
I’m also going to look at doing some of my own floats.
Not on the same scale as Andy but maybe 1 or 2 hand made nice practical floats.

I have had a couple of sets of RH9000s for quite a few years. Until recently, I've had no problem with them. However, one set has been a little dicey in the last month or two. Still functional and accurate but the LCD is slowly deteriorating.

I've gone for a set of Salter Brecknell Electro Samsons to replace them. I've rarely seen comments about them amongst anglers. However, the few I have seen are usually very positive.
https://www.daltonengineering.co.uk.../products/electro-samson-bird-weighing-scales
I’ve used a set of those for a few years and find them superb. I like the 9V battery and although I carry a spare I’ve never needed it. They are very accurate and easy to use. I also carry a set of 9000’s as spare and test both regularly. I’d definitely recommend them

Back