• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

If you....

Turns out this is a bad investment, rod arrived this morning, I found the tip is actually broken and repaired, so it is about 1 inch short than other sections…
Thats bad mate, but happens so often with those thin tips, happened to me plenty of times notably a Drennan DRX 14 ft, missus trapped it in boot lid when arrived home with it. Only an inch makes no difference really.. ooh missus..apart from selling on perhaps, but I could never fob a repair off.
Will try and post some pics up of JW.

Thats bad mate, but happens so often with those thin tips, happened to me plenty of times notably a Drennan DRX 14 ft, missus trapped it in boot lid when arrived home with it. Only an inch makes no difference really.. ooh missus..apart from selling on perhaps, but I could never fob a repair off.
Thats not a Shaky rod bag...its the cover for the Parasol lol. The field joins my back garden, it is a haven for birds etc, especially our tame Pheasants who take refuge from the shoot. I am a poor man living in a lovely area.

Attachments

• jw1.JPG
    jw1.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 126
  • jw2.JPG
    jw2.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 138
  • jw3.JPG
    jw3.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 131
  • jw4.JPG
    jw4.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 126
  • jw5.JPG
    jw5.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 132
  • jw6.JPG
    jw6.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. That’s the rod I saw, looks like a really lovely one. What’s the action like? The line rating is 1lb higher than the Avon right?

Yeah, I don’t think it affects the use too much, and I know I will not sell it, hopefully I can give it a try over weekend.

Thanks for the pictures. That’s the rod I saw, looks like a really lovely one. What’s the action like? The line rating is 1lb higher than the Avon right?
Yep 7lb max. The action not sure yet but will be softish being glass, a good tool for dowstream margin chubbing.?

Turns out this is a bad investment, rod arrived this morning, I found the tip is actually broken and repaired, so it is about 1 inch short than other sections…
Is there an obvious repair or is the tip section just an inch shorter? If it's purely the length that's an issue, it's possible that it may not have been damaged at all. Many anglers have the expectation that all a rod's sections should be perfectly equal in length. Even without any damage ever occurring, this is not always the case.

Anyone with such an expectation should avoid buying a new or second hand Tri-Cast rod. I've got three piece Tri-Cast rods where none of the sections are the same length. I've got quite a few UK made Daiwa rods with tip sections shorter than the others. They've been that way from brand new.

Incredibly common on the normark rods especially the Titans to lose 10-50mm off the tip. The avengers are usually a bit more with standing to it but still fairly common.

Is there an obvious repair or is the tip section just an inch shorter? If it's purely the length that's an issue, it's possible that it may not have been damaged at all. Many anglers have the expectation that all a rod's sections should be perfectly equal in length. Even without any damage ever occurring, this is not always the case.

Anyone with such an expectation should avoid buying a new or second hand Tri-Cast rod. I've got three piece Tri-Cast rods where none of the sections are the same length. I've got quite a few UK made Daiwa rods with tip sections shorter than the others. They've been that way from brand new.
Yep the spectrons are the same. Every section is 10-15mm shorter than the next one up. It’s just how they are

I’ve seen a almost new one with 3 equal sections, so I am certain it’s been repaired at some point.

Incredibly common on the normark rods especially the Titans to lose 10-50mm off the tip. The avengers are usually a bit more with standing to it but still fairly common.
Yeah, it is common on normark rod, the seller told me it is in full length, I should review the photo in more detail.

I think having a tip section which is an inch or so shorter than the butt section is actually quite good design, so long as the action isn't compromised. It means when the rods are broken down for transporting, the weaker tip section his given a bit more protection.
I am thinking exactly the same.

Thats not a Shaky rod bag...its the cover for the Parasol lol. The field joins my back garden, it is a haven for birds etc, especially our tame Pheasants who take refuge from the shoot. I am a poor man living in a lovely area.
I felt a palpable sense of nostalgia seeing pics of one of these old green blank JW rods...might have to 'invest' in one for sentimental reasons.

I’ve seen a almost new one with 3 equal sections, so I am certain it’s been repaired at some point.

With the reputation Normarks, Team 2000s especially, have for tip breakages, it's entirely possible. However, I know the odd Normark collector that claims to have undamaged rods where the tip section was slightly shorter from new. I've been led to believe that production inconsistencies are quite common amongst the early Normark models, though they were still occasionally apparent in later production. The Team 2000 tip breakage issue is so common that it has coloured people's expectations of all Normark Avenger, Titan and Microlite models.

Similar has happened with the MK2 models. The general consensus was that the MK2 rods were rubbish. What many don't realise is that there are two, post Team 2000, MK2 ranges. The later version, the one with the 1' extension, is generally not well regarded. The earlier MK2s were a different animal. Unfortunately, decent rods, reputedly with Diamura blanks, are largely ignored due to the poor reputation of the later MK2 rods.

With the reputation Normarks, Team 2000s especially, have for tip breakages, it's entirely possible. However, I know the odd Normark collector that claims to have undamaged rods where the tip section was slightly shorter from new. I've been led to believe that production inconsistencies are quite common amongst the early Normark models, though they were still occasionally apparent in later production. The Team 2000 tip breakage issue is so common that it has coloured people's expectations of all Normark Avenger, Titan and Microlite models.

Similar has happened with the MK2 models. The general consensus was that the MK2 rods were rubbish. What many don't realise is that there are two, post Team 2000, MK2 ranges. The later version, the one with the 1' extension, is generally not well regarded. The earlier MK2s were a different animal. Unfortunately, decent rods, reputedly with Diamura blanks, are largely ignored due to the poor reputation of the later MK2 rods.
The odd spacing between tip and second eye and how the tip ring is fitted all suggested this is a repaired. 5F86E68D-E2FD-4F31-8F07-F5068F16D78C.jpeg61FD1369-CD91-40C4-BFBD-8D8FD84A5416.jpeg

The odd spacing between tip and second eye and how the tip ring is fitted all suggested this is a repaired. View attachment 20192View attachment 20193

It does indeed. However, the double legged intermediates also suggest that it's a pre-Team 2000 Normark. If that is the case, it was unlikely to have been much of an investment anyway. I'd be sending it back to the seller if I were you. I'd be thankful that the seller failing to mention any tip damage as being a damned good reason to do so.

Back