• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Garlic Spam "Spamalot"

To be fair to the seller, last time I saw some of the Spamalot stuff on ebay, the seller was asking for over £5 a tin. It being out of date makes no odds, especially if you are using it as bait.

Remember the much rated 'Plumrose Garlic Sausage' commanding high prices - t'was wrapped in foil and became very hard to obtain.

Ahh, the wonderful Plumrose Garlic slicing sausage.
On an unusually mild Winter's day, back in the 90's, I tramped from the Bulls lock car park to Fiddlers reach, on the Kennet, by Newbury racecourse. The sausage was very effective there and it was my main bait back then. Mainly rolling it.
After dark , a few hours in a previously baited swim upstream, Active-8 pellets, it was deadly.
This particular day, way down at the downstream boundary, feeling decidedly peckish, with any food back up in the baited swim I tucked into some of the sausage, it was lovely, ate a fair bit making my way upstream.
Neoprene waders were best for the Winter fishing there at that time, for me, as usual I was wearing them. Did a few hours in the baited swim, ate a bit more, had a few fish then walked the half mile back to the car.
Taking the waders off, the smell was almost overpowering, garlic or what! Obviously from my sweat, through my clothes!
Could smell it for at least 5 years on the waders.

The Rolpek Garlic Sausage is very strong and at a decent price. Still have some Spamalot but save it for extra special floods on the Swale.

Back