• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

monster barbel mystery river

No, no lads it's The Darenth Creek near Dartford...If you screw your eyes up and then pull them sideways with a bit of imagination you can see Dartford Bridge in the distance !!!!

Come on lads, unless you are trying to muddy the water lets leave the locals to their own and not encourage the circus.......

No, no lads it's The Darenth Creek near Dartford...If you screw your eyes up and then pull them sideways with a bit of imagination you can see Dartford Bridge in the distance !!!!

Come on lads, unless you are trying to muddy the water let's leave the locals to their own and not encourage the circus.......
...:D

As the record is over 21 and there are a fair number of 19s out there on a few different rivers which do not have circus' chasing them, why is everyone so convinced there would be an invading circus??

It is a great achievement indeed but I really do think things get over cooked on here far too frequently these days........

Regarding publicity, the truth is even sadder, many wanting sponsorship deals, free or cheap bait, etc........even sadder is the fact that once they achieve that status, they have to, as part of the deal, publicise the details of their catches for the purposes of product placement.

This is also the case with many articles which are written for various websites and forums, where the deal is that sponsored anglers will write a fixed number of "advertorials", as the industry refers to them, with conditions regarding the number of mentions of products or manufacturers...........

Well done to the captor on a splendid catch by the way :)

As the record is over 21 and there are a fair number of 19s out there on a few different rivers which do not have circus' chasing them, why is everyone so convinced there would be an invading circus??
:)

Because the majority of these 19's do not make the front page of AT.

This is not the first huge barbel to be featured in the weeklies where the venue is either named or obvious from the background photograph. Unless the controlling club has a publicity ban any angler has a right to publish photos of what he catches. It can be called gratification or whatever; it can also be called pride in a great capture and a desire to have a memento to look back on in years to come. Does every big fish capture really attract the "circus"?

The vast majority of big fish photos in CAT for instance, clearly show individual swims and leave nothing to speculation. I haven't read any correspondence to that paper complaining about this.

I'm actually quite saddened that people want to KNOW where it came from.

Does it MATTER?................................NO.

I must admit to being a bit dissappointed that the picture has been sent to the papers as well which I find INCREADIBLY selfish, as others have already commented!

J

I'm actually quite saddened that people want to KNOW where it came from.

Does it MATTER?................................NO.

I must admit to being a bit dissappointed that the picture has been sent to the papers as well which I find INCREADIBLY selfish, as others have already commented!

J

Oh I don't know, I wouldn't mind knowing, think it's human nature, and I would bet that 99% of us would love to know, the other 1% know already and call the rest incredibly selfish...human nature you see:)

I agree Neil, most of us who don't know would privately speculate out of sheer curiosity. It doesn't mean we would be loading the car and setting the sat nav..

I have an idea where it is! Anyone want to share a bivvy?
bigtopmania_big_top.jpg

:D

Had cause to look in the ' Dangling Times ' today and noticed an article about a huge 18lb 4oz barbel from a mystery ' up and coming southern river ' . The river is tidal apparently . Anyone care to speculate as to the rivers identity ? Looking at the pictures I reckon it would be a doddle to work it out if you lived in the vicinity as the river is in plain view . Just idle curiosity really , stunning looking fish

I agree Neil, most of us who don't know would privately speculate out of sheer curiosity. It doesn't mean we would be loading the car and setting the sat nav..

I'm not so sure, my vans loaded and I'm just waiting for confirmation! :D

If it is where I and others think it is, the majority of Barbel anglers wouldn't want to fish the place, this aint no crystal clear Kennet, lively Teme or sedate Bristol Avon . Those that have fished for Tidal Barbel already understand the difficulties this guy would have gone through, yes he has had his monster and he probably deserves it. Tidal river Barbeling, is lonely, dirty, at times dangerous and completely soul destroying, I know I did 2 seasons on the lower, lower Severn (and I mean lower).......I take my hat off to him, and I have no desire to fish for his fish.

Because the majority of these 19's do not make the front page of AT.

Agreed,one has to only look back a few seasons ago when a stretch of the Loddon had a large Barbel publicised (Duncan Charman I think) and I can remember people complaining about the descending circus at that time as well and correct me if I am wrong,but didn't the said stretch get absolutely hammered?

When the AT turned up on my front door and I read the article,I did wonder how long it would be before this thread was going to pop up to be fair.
Well done to the captor though,it's a stunning fish.

As Mr Arnott pointed out earlier , the monster was from the lower lower Pinn , the frolicking sea horses riding the incoming tide are a dead give away . They only do this in the Pinn ,sometimes even riding the backs of the Burbot, a real sight to behold

Mark

Spot on about Farnham`s bit of the Loddon, a very few lucky souls (myself included) had quite a few wonderfully quiet seasons on there until Mr Charman blew the bugle. Amazing how many people claim to have fished it prior to Charman`s announcement, funny I could count on the fingers of one hand the anglers I bumped into there beforehand, haven`t been back for five years or so and wouldn`t want to now.

So good luck to the poor souls who did have some quiet barbeling, probably be sharing the stretch with the circus shortly. Bloody sheep!!!

Mic

It is quite interesting that when a pic of a big lump is put up on BFW without the river mentioned, everyone praises and gloryfies it! If it is from the river i think it is, this calbre of barbel has been coming out for the past 3 years or so, but everyone in the know has kept stummmm and not reported them to the press! It is pretty much the same down here in Hampshire and Dorset with much bigger fish being caught and un-reported!

Also, there is no difference in allowing your pics to be published on fishing websites for the publicity angle, ego trip or for the record, than sending them to the press. Most of us do it at sometime along the way for one reason or another, including Jeff Edisbury, myself and probably a good majority of others! Some learn not too in the end through experience and keep it personal and/or amongst friends, but every one has the choice really.

Last edited:
Back