• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

inexpensive baitrunner recommendation

Vincent Coulson

Hello,

I guess ive already asked the main question in the thread title, BUT, all the cheaper reels Ive found thus far, (okuma etc) have had a small spool diameter and i really dont like this. So if anyone nows of a cheaper model with a nice diameter spool Id be very appreciative of the information!

:D

Depends on where you plan to fish Vincent and how much you are looking to spend. I have a couple of Okuma 50's and they are fine for the Tees,Swale and Wye.

okuma epix pro EPB50's. shame, clive had a couple for sale a week or so ago on here you just missed. would have been perfect if you're on a "budget".

okuma epix pro EPB50's. shame, clive had a couple for sale a week or so ago on here you just missed. would have been perfect if you're on a "budget".

Those epix was fantastic for price worth £35 of anyone's money.

Have a look on eBay see if there's any knocking about.

Mitchell free runners and some of the shakespear's all on the big auction site

search this one :- Micthell Avorunner V2 7500

Sean

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies.

I wont be using them for barbel. I will be using them mainly for tench/bream I cant seem to find any of the Okumas (theyre very similar to the one I picked up but mine is a smaller size) I am pretty interested in the Mitchell Avorunners they look and sound (read a few reviews) just what im looking for.

Once again thanks a lot!

Cheers for the replies.

I wont be using them for barbel. I will be using them mainly for tench/bream I cant seem to find any of the Okumas (theyre very similar to the one I picked up but mine is a smaller size) I am pretty interested in the Mitchell Avorunners they look and sound (read a few reviews) just what im looking for.

Once again thanks a lot!

got a mate who uses a mitchell avonrunner and it seems to be holding on very well and dont forget mitchell used to be one of the top reel manurfacturers maybe they got it right again

Sean

got a mate who uses a mitchell avonrunner and it seems to be holding on very well and dont forget mitchell used to be one of the top reel manurfacturers maybe they got it right again

Sean

They sure did Iv got a ex condition Mitchell match 440a which I use in winter for my the mixed bag. Fantastic reels

I have several Shimano's the 5500 are fine and I bought all of them from either club forums or fleabay.
The important piont being that parts are easily available.

The most I have paid is £40, so I think you might be better off getting one of those rather than having something that you might struggle to get parts for in the future.

Hi men,

I bought Clives Epix pro,s , never mind budget the spec on these are good ,as are all their reels . Have 6 shimano,s , a fair few Diawa , and a cortesi pin , and they are as nice to use as them .

For £35 I could not lose :)

Hatter

thats a good point Keith. I might have to think about that a bit more. Im in no rush for them so I guess I have plenty of time to look around.

Thanks for the replies though.

I think we are all shimano mad since they came along and blew everyone else out of the water

Yes i have a bag full of them and i love them but the others were way behind a few years ago and that is why the shimanos came along and we all now love them

there are anglers out there who wouldnt have anything other than a shimano on there rods

but its the time for the others to bite back and this is whats happening the Mitchell brand used to be the best in fixed spool reels and any old pictures in fishing magazines that you look at most will be mitchells

i recently seen a picture of Ivan Marks using his persuder rod on the trent fishing the far bank and connected to a good fish he was using a mitchell and that shows as everyone used them

the new mitchells include a far greater array of knowledge of reels as the company is a large group of companys now which include penn shakespear abu and a list of others

i have seen one and wow i was impressed

i have also seen some fox reels which shocked me

the shakespear mach reels for the money are fab as well

and yes the shimanoe are still in the lead but is this just a culture

here is the mitchell page and look at the parent companies

http://www.mitchell-fishing.co.uk/catalogue/reels,767/spinning-reels,768/avorunner-v2,7138.html

Okuma who would have had one of them a few years ago

lots out there to choose from and it doesnt have to be shimano all the time

Hope this helps a little and i know its a mine field out there with so much to choose from !

Sean

Hi Sean,

I use a Shakespeare Mach 3 reel for lighter floatfishing and it is a great reel for the money I agree.

The thing I like to do is actually touch and get to grips with a reel, but lets say my local tackle shops arent the best out there sadly, probably down to the internet I suppose.

Anyway, thats another matter.

After having a good search around and reading a few reviews, I ended up settling on the Fox Stratos 7000E. It feels solid and will do exactly what I want. Found 2 for £40 each. Result.

Thanks for all the help.

Noooooooooooooo

After having a good search around and reading a few reviews, I ended up settling on the Fox Stratos 7000E

Methinks you will be needing this:
6. How do I contact Fox customer services?
Easy, just ring our main switchboard on 0208 559 6500 and ask for customer services.

You can also contact Fox International customer services through the following ways:

Phone: 0208 559 6500 – ask for customer services

Fox International
Fowler Road
Hainault Business Park
Essex
IG6 3UT

Email: customerservices@foxint.com

Just to add to this Vincent they have a reputation for seizing up. The reels themselves have great line lay single and double handles spool reducers but they forgot to add decent gears!

After having a good search around and reading a few reviews, I ended up settling on the Fox Stratos 7000E. It feels solid and will do exactly what I want. Found 2 for £40 each. Result.

Thanks for all the help.

Where on earth did you find reviews of the Fox reels that persuaded you to part with your cash?:eek:

wow! I opened a can of fox worms there.

I suppose thats the trouble with reviews. they're written by people trying to be nice to the people who gave them the thing to review.

Darryls post and Clives 'Nooooo" have persuaded me to cancel order (done) and think about taking up golf...

Back on eBay then, Shimano, Search....

:eek:

Back