• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Feel angry, sad and frustrated

Unfortunately we need public support. The same public that are outraged at micro plastic in the sea and appalled at the sight of turtles eating plastic bottles, the same well known nature program presenters who appeal to that public to do something about it seem not to make the fact that the micro plastics at least get into our seas from the sewage that discharges into our rivers. They are looking in the wrong place for the answers but I guess they get to fly around the world rather than visit sewerage outlets on our rivers! Makes for better tv I suppose.

No need for that Joe, it's about an opinion, yours is different to mine, I respect your view, since the formation of the AnglingTrust the pollution and predation situation has progressively got worse on their watch, the basis of the formation of Fishlegal ( AnglingTrust) is clear in their mission statement, they specifically mention in holding water companies to account, I haven't made anything up ....they have failed, the EA have failed, the only reason the water companies do what they do is because they know they will get away with it.
Considering the AT's relative lack of resource they have punched above their weight with some big legal victories. The only people who can change this situation is the Government, and there can be no doubt that the AT have played a role in helping to bring the current plight of our rivers to the attention of the public. Nobody would be able to prove the routine abuse of storm discharge permits without the legal case the Fish Legal won in 2015. Credit where credit is due would you agree?

It's an utter disgrace that our Government is now trying to prevent the publics right to know about water pollution. This is the sort of thing you would expect in some dictator led Banana Republic.

Hi men

Yes we need the non fishing public to be outraged ....... But the same public that pick up dog shite , tie it in a plastic bag and throw it in a tree to break down over hundreds of years 🙄. It's because , as it always has been , that anglers are at the cutting edge of this stuff , seeing things that the general public would struggle to see that often makes us first and most vocal .

Hatter

The collective anger at the situation which is displayed by forum members is understandable as we witness the effects of pollution on a resource we use for pleasure but also understand its importance to the general public. The problem, as has been highlighted by many here, is greed. Money, and the desire to have more of it despite personal wealth, drives individuals and companies, to cut corners and stick two digits up to legislation.
Do you think that the CEO of the Water Co who received a £3m bonus on top of his salary and share options thinks to himself "I can't accept this money, it's morally wrong". More chance of me catching a 20lb barbel in the Wensum.
This matter is creeping up the agenda, but with everything else happening in the UK and globally it will not get past the "mildly irritating" stage in the publics eye.
Only solution is to reverse Thatchers ill thought out decision and reverse privatisation.

Fishing the tidal Trent last Sunday. Suddenly a film comes floating downstream on the surface, the gills are going mad picking stuff off. Myself and another angler managed four midsize fish between us but both mentioned the fact that the fish did not go back well. This occurred after the river had peaked, the tide being barely noticeable. The Trent is and has been for weeks running at hardly more than summer levels so absolutely no good reason to be discharging at the moment. The gravels that in a few weeks time will be needed for spawning are currently covered in a film of algae. What is considered as the most productive barbel water in the land is not going to remain so if this continues.

It’s a regular occurrence Mike and the EA are aware. Early summer mornings when it’s cool it looks like a bubble bath, unfortunately smells like a motorway service gents. My point, not well made is that the fish behaved like summer when returned. None were out of the water long but all took a while to get going. My guess is that despite the water being cold the concentration level is high due to the unseasonal low levels and flow rates and is de oxygenating the water. The river along I suspect with many others needs a really good flush( pardon the pun) through but there’s no sign of rain in any quantity.

Good that they are aware Kevin , did you get any response from the EA as to why this pollution was occurring and what they intended to do about it as clearly there is untreated sewage going in to the river given the gull activity ?

It was the Bailiff who told me during the summer what was causing the foam, though the smell gave it away. He told me that the environment agency are aware and that its a regular occurrence which I've seen for myself. I think its probably been through the system rather than untreated, however as the program Saturday highlighted it still contains particles of human waste along with the chemical detergents used in the process. As a layman I would have thought that any chemical capable of breaking down our waste is not helping the river environment much. One of the things that I think makes the general public unaware of the situation is that the water clarity is so good. Too good for fishing unless the sediment which coats the gravel and rocks is stirred up.

I have since last message reported this incident to EA. They took all my details, relevant details of the incident including do people drink from the water or canoe. No mention of the species of fish or their symptoms at all…… maybe I’ll get a follow up call from someone who will show more interest?

Unfortunately we need public support. The same public that are outraged at micro plastic in the sea and appalled at the sight of turtles eating plastic bottles, the same well known nature program presenters who appeal to that public to do something about it seem not to make the fact that the micro plastics at least get into our seas from the sewage that discharges into our rivers. They are looking in the wrong place for the answers but I guess they get to fly around the world rather than visit sewerage outlets on our rivers! Makes for better tv I suppose.
The problem here is that the public will support clean rivers but will balk at actually paying more money to build the the proper resources to do it. Making the company CEO’s responsible is the only way forward that I can see and I don’t see much appetite for that. At least the media are talking about it so I have my fingers crossed.
G.T.

I have now had a call from the EA asking for more details. The young lady I spoke to fully understood the concern for fish welfare and agreed in relation to this incident that all does not appear right given the manner in which the fish behaved. I have no idea what her background is but she certainly appreciates that it is unusual in cold water for fish to behave in this way and has asked that I report to her any further incidents. She has also agreed to contact the controlling club to speak to them direct about this apparent regular occurrence. In fairness it’s a better response than I anticipated.

So many individuals, many on this forum, are demanding answers from the EA, politicians, Water Co's etc. about this poor state of affairs. Not wishing to be left behind in this race for answers I have today written to Sec State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. I have "open copied" the Shadow equivalent and the MP responsible in the Lib Dems and the Green Party. This means all 4 main political parties in the UK will receive my letter and will be aware the other parties are on copy. My main question is "what is YOUR party doing to bring the Water Co's to account?"
Being a bit of a pessimist I'm not expecting too much, but if you don't ask you don't get!!
I'll keep you posted! 🤞🏻

The collective anger at the situation which is displayed by forum members is understandable as we witness the effects of pollution on a resource we use for pleasure but also understand its importance to the general public. The problem, as has been highlighted by many here, is greed. Money, and the desire to have more of it despite personal wealth, drives individuals and companies, to cut corners and stick two digits up to legislation.
Do you think that the CEO of the Water Co who received a £3m bonus on top of his salary and share options thinks to himself "I can't accept this money, it's morally wrong". More chance of me catching a 20lb barbel in the Wensum.
This matter is creeping up the agenda, but with everything else happening in the UK and globally it will not get past the "mildly irritating" stage in the publics eye.
Only solution is to reverse Thatchers ill thought out decision and reverse privatisation.
The problem here is that you SHOULD be right regarding privatisation. In practice, ‘ old ‘un’s’ like me can actually remember how inefficient the old nationalised businesses were. I only have to remember the railways ,who many now think should go back to being nationalised, they were just a bloody disgrace back then. In my opinion, governments simply don’t’run things’ very well. A pity I know but I guess change is needed so who knows?
G.T.

This is yet another effect of our soaring population. Like housing, NHS etc. Avoiding being political, has any resource had the funds to cope with a 50% increase on population in the last 60 years? The current situation of rivers is truly lamentable but making ceo's go without a bonus is not the answer. Increasing the processing power of treatment plants to cope is. Then the issue would be mainly water extraction. That is not soluble surely as it's a finite source, IE as mark twain said"they ain't making it no more". Desalination is perhaps an answer as that might elevated rising sea levels. Don't get me on that either. All rational and polite debate is good!

Back