• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Talk about peaking too early.

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
Took the lad down the nene tonight. We’ve put afew blanks in and he’s been absolutely desperate to get his first barbel but for one reason or another it’s just not being his season….. mine either to be honest.

He’s always been a bit of a fluky bugger with other species and tends to show me up more often than not but with nene barbel we haven’t had the luck.

So the plan was both rods under his control
I was there as a parent only and to help him out (he is only 7)

So like every other session we’ve been on together it was getting round to kick off time. We had 10 mins left and the rod tip starts bouncing which was disappointing when we picked up into a 2lb chub. The very last thing you want with ten mins to spare is a small chub. So very quickly unhooked didn’t even change the bait or check the hook etc just straight back out.

Time off tonight was 8:48 and at 8:48 just as he reached to pick up that rod with a sigh of disappointment……. It absolutely tore off!!! Probably one of the best slam rounds I’ve ever witnessed.
He stood there at front of the bank pitch black head torch on playing this thing like a true champ. I obviously had a firm grip on the back of his hoodie to prevent a potential wet boy.
All I did was net it for him. (After 3 attempts🤣) That fish was all his 100%

He’s absolutely buzzing. First ever barbel and it’s smashed my seasons best dropping them scales round to 13,05. I couldn’t be prouder.

I’m a bit pissed with my poor photography but never the less. We even had a bit of crowd by us while weighing her up and recovering it with the guys walking back after an evenings blanking.
His face was a picture when they all said they’d blanked.

Josh’s first barbel 13,05. He won’t be beating that in a hurry
364398A7-E2E6-40F1-AE3E-268E67B22A27.jpeg
025A8859-D4CE-48BE-85DF-56D42CE7984B.jpeg

Well done young Josh an amazing fish and the Ole Chap must have taught you well you did it all yourself 👍👍

Absolutely brilliant. 👍 Always great to hear about dads taking their kids fishing, you only have to talk to older anglers who fished with their dads as to how much it means to them. Looks like a lifetime of shared experiences & adventures are on the way that will mean the world to both of you,

What an absolutely brilliant post. Well done Josh 👏
I've been fishing since the age of 6 (I am now 71) and it was all thanks to my late uncle who lived near the Wensum and introduced me to fishing.
It's been a big part of my life ever since.
Here's to many years of happy fishing memories to you Josh (and great example of parenting Dad!)

I think we’ve all asked ourselves countless times what is it that keeps us coming back especially on the lower stock waters with strict time allowances.
On my own it’s simple…… just 1 bite and it can make up for several blanks when things are tough but with your kids it’s a whole other level of make or break.
When they blank, your more disappointed as your feeling it for them as well as yourself but it’s a valuable lesson for them to learn to be patient and not give up.
But on those rare occasions when something special happens and they hit a home run, you Simply can’t describe it.

When the other two lads come walking past to congratulate him on his achievement and had said it was a blank for them I looked at Josh and saw the little cheeky smirk on his face it was an absolute picture.

In the memory box for that one. Stick Christmas Day right up your arse he won’t be smiling to the same extent I can guarantee it 😎

Back