• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Little and often vs sit and wait

I'm targetting barbel for the first time and coming from carp fishing naturally favour a more stealthy PVA bag over bed of bait, sit and wait approach

However, fishing the Wharfe this week a guy in the next swim (which to be fair was a much better looking swim) was fishing a feeder with regular casting. He was bagging up and I was well...sitting and waiting.

Got me wondering if the little and often approach is drawing the fish in and creating competitive feeding....?

I used to fish the Wharfe and there were places where casting a feeder was like ringing the dinner bell. It would seem that is the case where you were fishing. If the other angler was drawing the fish from nearby there is little wonder that you remained fishless.

It is not always the case in other locations though.

Good points, I'll bear that in mind in future and get a few feeders to give me the option of switching approach if needed
Re. "bagging up" ...on balance I'd have thought it reasonable to presume that the more regularly you put small amounts of bait in via a feeder, then the more fish will be in your swim, and the more bites you're likely to get. But those fish may well be mostly the smaller, less cautious fish. But if you're attempting to catch the cautious big old girls then bombing the swim out probably isn't the best idea.
But learning from the matchmen (well, and NLP) : If what you're doing isn't working, then do something different.

Just bear in mind that the bait and wait tactics cannot be employed sometimes because of the conditions at the time. When river fishing you can be thwarted by floating weed, leaves, etc. as I was yesterday. There is no point in laying out the dinner table if weed and / or leaves keep on dragging your bait out of position.

You have to adapt to suit.

Depends entirely on what’s infront of you.
Both Fish and conditions.
If there is enough smaller fish available to mop up your bait and your prepared to wade through them then yeah it can work and get you onto the bigger fish too because fish feeding confidently draws in other fish.
Well skilled feeder anglers don’t have problems getting onto the bigger fish through consistency

But if the head of fish ain’t there (no indication after a couple of casts) then bombing in more bait wouldn’t be my preferred approach.

I fish for 1 bite. I don’t want a shoal of bream and chub pranging the rod off every 10 mins so my feed is limited to just spark a bit of interest around the hookbait and no more.

Depends entirely on what’s infront of you.
Both Fish and conditions.
If there is enough smaller fish available to mop up your bait and your prepared to wade through them then yeah it can work and get you onto the bigger fish too because fish feeding confidently draws in other fish.
Well skilled feeder anglers don’t have problems getting onto the bigger fish through consistency

But if the head of fish ain’t there (no indication after a couple of casts) then bombing in more bait wouldn’t be my preferred approach.

I fish for 1 bite. I don’t want a shoal of bream and chub pranging the rod off every 10 mins so my feed is limited to just spark a bit of interest around the hookbait and no more.
Oi,Richard i pm'd you lol

Back