• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bite alarms

Nearly always use them but always on the quietest setting and I assure you only I can hear them, unless someone arrives and pitches up right next to me then that's their own stupid fault 😂 I don't believe you can have your eyes on your rod tips constantly, it makes me go dizzy looking at them for too long, and a 'quiet' alarm will always snap you straight back to the job in hand when you don't happen to be staring at the rods.

I always use bite alarms for my barbel fishing as im always using 2 rods, that is unless im roving with 1 rod, then ill watch the rod tip.

Hi all,
How many people on here use Bite alarms for their Barbel fishing ???
I don't use them as I rely on the rod tip and the sound of the BAITRUNNER or FAST DRAG.
A guy about 3 swims away from me was and drove me up the wall , it was a strong wind and every bluster produced the sound of the Alarms going off .☹️
Always use them (at lowest setting) as

a) Like others unless I'm stalking I have a habit of nodding off sometimes
b) I cannot be arsed to remove them from my stormpoles and they act as an effective barbel rod rest anyway (delks with snag ears)
c) find them invaluable when fishing with 2x rods / into darkness as I find isotope movement difficult to track at the best of times
d) I'm primarily a carp angler and with delks especially (vibration sensing) you can pick up all the rattles and twitches you might not normally see on the tips (this applies to both disciplines)
e) I'm not over 65 and have zero issues with using any tech that might help me (!!)

No need to annoy anyone with alarms - delks have a mute button specifically for settling rods / setting up lines . . .

No need to annoy anyone with alarms - delks have a mute button specifically for settling rods / setting up lines . . .
Have they - I didn't know that - doh - I have the TXIs but quite a few years old - will they have it?
I turn down the volume but often forget to turn it back up!
Or if I remember the receiver i just use that and get a nice vibration and a buzzing sound ( set me'sen up there)
But nothing like a couple of single bleeps after hours of nothing and a one-toner as you carp lads say

Have they - I didn't know that - doh - I have the TXIs but quite a few years old - will they have it?
I turn down the volume but often forget to turn it back up!
Or if I remember the receiver i just use that and get a nice vibration and a buzzing sound ( set me'sen up there)
But nothing like a couple of single bleeps after hours of nothing and a one-toner as you carp lads say
I also have delks and didn’t know that had a mute button!!!!

I also have delks and didn’t know that had a mute button!!!!
TXI D's / EV D's chaps - its all buttons and you need an A level on the TXI D's (hence I use EV D's exclusively for Barbel lol and TXI D's for carp where I am mostly blanking and can spend my time fiddling)

In all seriousness the mute function is great - it automatically switches to normal mode after 5mins but will sound if you have a run in the interim - clever stuff!

With TXI D's it has a storm mode you can press from the remote - if it lashes it down you can turn the heads completely off (in unison) with the remote to alleviate any annoying superfluous rain related bleeps but again will override with a full blown run / 4" of line movement . .

TXI D's / EV D's chaps - its all buttons and you need an A level on the TXI D's (hence I use EV D's exclusively for Barbel lol and TXI D's for carp where I am mostly blanking and can spend my time fiddling)

In all seriousness the mute function is great - it automatically switches to normal mode after 5mins but will sound if you have a run in the interim - clever stuff!

With TXI D's it has a storm mode you can press from the remote - if it lashes it down you can turn the heads completely off (in unison) with the remote to alleviate any annoying superfluous rain related bleeps but again will override with a full blown run / 4" of line movement . .
I have the newest version of the TXI’s but I wouldn’t know how to do half the stuff on them that they do. They get used so little that I just forget. Good thing is I turn them on and they just work which is all I need

I have the newest version of the TXI’s but I wouldn’t know how to do half the stuff on them that they do. They get used so little that I just forget. Good thing is I turn them on and they just work which is all I need
To be honest once they're 'set' to your liking they dont need further messing other than perhaps the 'reponse' dial (was sensitivity) and volume. Just FYI but on both TXD's & EVD's if you press and hold the LH button for 2 seconds that will engage mute mode (confirms with a double bleep). If you press and hold again it will unmute (also confirms with a different pitch double bleep). If you forget it will unmute automatically after 5mins and / or if you get a full 4" twitch!

My delks are about 15yrs old so doubt they have that feature

Anglers miss so many indications by relying on alarms, nothing beats watching and learning whats going on, its not always a three foot screamer,,,,
Don't actually agree with that - alarms (delks especially) can pick up tremors with no tip indication whatsover - the only exception to this might be a fine quiver tip but then with the stiffer rods most (?) use these days an alarm can def be an advantage when used in context with watching the tip . . .as well as all the other advantages already stated

Never have screamers as don't have superloose clutches even with the baitrunner on!

Don't actually agree with that - alarms (delks especially) can pick up tremors with no tip indication whatsover - the only exception to this might be a fine quiver tip but then with the stiffer rods most (?) use these days an alarm can def be an advantage when used in context with watching the tip . . .as well as all the other advantages already stated

Never have screamers as don't have superloose clutches even with the baitrunner on!
Woke this morning from a sort of sleep lol,to see my left hand rod down in the margin, reeled in and it was snagged, left it while seeing to my other rod,then returned to a nice chub about 5lb,it had taken my bait from near middle river without any indication on my alarm 😳

Woke this morning from a sort of sleep lol,to see my left hand rod down in the margin, reeled in and it was snagged, left it while seeing to my other rod,then returned to a nice chub about 5lb,it had taken my bait from near middle river without any indication on my alarm 😳
without any indication on my alarm

🤔that you heard while you were asleep ?
and of course depends on what Alarms you were using and how they were adjusted

personally I am blessed or cursed with being an extremely light sleeper my ex once said blimey your snoring and I slip a fart and you wake up !! but fished with friends and can hear their alarms going and they dont wake up ?
I once overheard a doctor talking about smokers go into a deeper sleep than non smokers ?

Last edited:
Back