• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Venue

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
I would be grateful for thoughts/recommendations on the following request. Every year for the past 40+ years, myself and 6 friends have a week of barbel fishing, usually September. For the past 20 years we have fished the Herefordshire Wye.
We are thinking of a change of venue in 2023 and are looking for recommendations as to other rivers to try.
We are in our 70's and whilst quite mobile are all aware of the dangers of "steep bank" fishing! Also we enjoy the countryside around the Wye and realise that it could be difficult to replicate its surroundings.
Finally, we always go self catering and have stayed in a large rented farmhouse in recent years where we can come and go as we please.
So, quite a demanding request but hoping you can help?

Hi Paul.
Is night fishing a necessity?
If not I can highly recommend the day ticket stretches of the river nene on the pdaa waters.
It’s not easy fishing but over the course of a full week you are very likely to get afew and there is a fair chance the odd very decent one.
I’m More than happy to point you in the right direction regarding areas. Your not going to be doing any bagging up or multiple captures and you will have to work at it but they are there and it’s a beautiful bit of river. Very different to the Wye which might be an appeal considering you are looking for something different.
I bailiff the syndicate stretches down there so I can put you in contact with the right people to get what you need. It’s an option for you if you want to.
No night fishing mind, you get 1 hour after official sun set time. Then pack up. Obviously that’s the hour most captures happen with in.

I would be grateful for thoughts/recommendations on the following request. Every year for the past 40+ years, myself and 6 friends have a week of barbel fishing, usually September. For the past 20 years we have fished the Herefordshire Wye.
We are thinking of a change of venue in 2023 and are looking for recommendations as to other rivers to try.
We are in our 70's and whilst quite mobile are all aware of the dangers of "steep bank" fishing! Also we enjoy the countryside around the Wye and realise that it could be difficult to replicate its surroundings.
Finally, we always go self catering and have stayed in a large rented farmhouse in recent years where we can come and go as we please.
Have a look here Paul, stunning location on the Severn https://rdas.me.uk/rental-cottages/
We also stay here https://cottagefishingholidays.co.uk/
We book a week in autumn, predominantly to fish the Severn as members of RDAS, but booking a year in advance you take your chances with state of the river so the beauty of Hurst farm is the on site coarse lakes if river is out of sorts.
Have a look and see what you think

What about
So, quite a demanding request but hoping you can

How about a trip down to the Hampshire Avon & Royalty stretch? It's something I'd love to do with a group of lads for a social. I'd imagine you'd be taking a hit on the accommodation front as the trip wouldn't be cheap. But I can't say that for sure as I don't know much about what's available.
Could always find a Premier Inn, and book in advance for a better rate. (but it's not going to be a nice farmhouse setting)

Hi Paul.
Is night fishing a necessity?
If not I can highly recommend the day ticket stretches of the river nene on the pdaa waters.
It’s not easy fishing but over the course of a full week you are very likely to get afew and there is a fair chance the odd very decent one.
I’m More than happy to point you in the right direction regarding areas. Your not going to be doing any bagging up or multiple captures and you will have to work at it but they are there and it’s a beautiful bit of river. Very different to the Wye which might be an appeal considering you are looking for something different.
I bailiff the syndicate stretches down there so I can put you in contact with the right people to get what you need. It’s an option for you if you want to.
No night fishing mind, you get 1 hour after official sun set time. Then pack up. Obviously that’s the hour most captures happen with in.
Hi Terry. Thank you very much. We have never fished the Nene so would be a new experience.

Have a look at Coombys Farm on the banks of the middle Severn. The chalets overlook the river. You just need a Birmingham Anglers Association card which would be £30 if you're over 65👍

I would suggest you look at the Warwickshire Avon as a base area around Eversham as a base.

Beautiful river, many even banks, reasonable priced accomodation around, and good fishing.

Either tie up with many DT waters available or join BAA for the week with lots of options and change on odd days to try the middle Severn.

Look at their website. Something for everybody as are the fish options, barbel chub zander roach etc.

If you decide I'll give you a few DT options.

Have a look at Coombys Farm on the banks of the middle Severn. The chalets overlook the river. You just need a Birmingham Anglers Association card which would be £30 if you're over 65👍
I was interested to read the above as it sounds just the sort of place I myself have been looking for.

Until I looked on Gogle Earth, on the opposite side of the road to the farm there is the Highley Motocross track. I used to live near a similar track and the noise of the Motobikes was a real ear blasting until we moved.
I have checked on Google, it seems that the track is only used for race days and not practice , plus the website has not been updated since 2019 . If anybody is considering using Coombys, I would check up prior to booking unless motorbikes dont bother you .

David.

No David, Ive only fished it the last two seasons, its pretty well fished but there are some good barbel there and plenty of river to go at, I'd certainly recommend it.

Totally agree with what Cliff said, I didn't know the motorcycle track existed, and I've fished it off and on for 20 years. Was there last year for a social with some mates who were there for the week and they certainly didn't mention it. The ducks can be quite noisy though😂

Back