• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Closed face reel vs pin vs fixed spool( open face )

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Does anyone out there use a closed face reel when float fishing ? I used to have a couple some years ago
And preferred them to the fixed spool or Pin.Dont know if the ones built today are any good or better ?
There were occasions when the line would get behind the spool and that could be quite annoying ☹️
But overall I liked the weight and compact size.

Does anyone out there use a closed face reel when float fishing ? I used to have a couple some years ago
And preferred them to the fixed spool or Pin.Dont know if the ones built today are any good or better ?
There were occasions when the line would get behind the spool and that could be quite annoying ☹️
But overall I liked the weight and compact size.
For my sins, I do and have done since I bought an ABU 503 back in the late 60s to replace a horrid Mitchell! Superb for trotting, and has coped well over the years with both pike and carp. I just can't get on with fixed spool reels with a bail arm.

been using closed face Abus since the 70s great for trotting but stay clear of new versions very poor quality

I've got one of the old Abu's, can't remember which, it's the terrible drag I can't deal with. Not into backwinding.

If it's for general silverfish trotting have a look at the original 501 or 506. The older models are are far superior in build quality to the new ones ( I had three of the different MK II models and moved them all on ). The clutch on all of them are notoriously bad so most play fish on backwind. This is available on the 501 but would require the removal ( if it hasn't already been done ) of the anti reverse pawl ( not a major job and a search on here will reveal some very useful posts on the process ). If it's for Barbel then look at the original 507 ( 508 if you're a southpaw ) although these will probably be a bit more pricey as there are less of them about.

got the 507 mk ll when they first came out expensive pile of crap

For me each type of reel has advantages and disadvantages dependent on what the use is. I prefer a closed face reel for small waters and close in float fishing. Centrepins for trotting, float fishing and ledgering up to 30 metres and fixed spools for everything else.

I use a 506 on a light Avon for float fishing and light ledgering on small rivers and lakes and prefer to use the clutch rather than backwind. The spool capacity is its weak point, but for ease of use it can't be beaten.

20220209_112224.jpg

I have an original ABU 506 modified so it backwinds. IMO it’s horrible. They are really (!) slow to wind in compared to a modern fixed spool reel. I only keep it and my 70s Skakespere match rod for sentimental reasons. I prefer a fixed spool for all types of fishing now.

I switch between a pin and a closed face for trotting; must admit the closed face usually wins based on general ease of use and versatility - have used a Daiwa 120M since the age of 11yrs but that gave up the ghost more than a few years ago - currently using a Daiwa 125M which with its rear drag makes life a little easier when a lump shows up!

Back