• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A [now SOLVED] request from technical help - PHP - and forum donations

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I'm hoping that somewhere out there in the BFW audience, there might be someone with PHP experience...

I'm desperate for help with the BFW Gallery as it currently runs on an old version of PHP that I need to upgrade. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to do this.

Is there anyone out there who can help? I have some budget to put towards this so wouldn't expect a freebie...

I'd hate to have to lose the Gallery as there's so much history in there.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,
If you need to get outside help and a bit more cash in the coffers is needed I’m sure that a contribution from the “membership “ of BFW is not out of the question. Many of us ( me included) have been on this site for a number of years and only made a pittance of a donation (if any).
Regards
BillW

Andy,
Further to above, I’ve just searched the shop and can see how to make a charitable donation but not how to make a donation to BFW for the likes of your PHP needs. I appreciate that you might want to keep the site “not for profit” but it wouldn’t be unreasonable for”us” to chip in the price of a pint annually !?
Regards
Bill

Andy,
Further to above, I’ve just searched the shop and can see how to make a charitable donation but not how to make a donation to BFW for the likes of your PHP needs. I appreciate that you might want to keep the site “not for profit” but it wouldn’t be unreasonable for”us” to chip in the price of a pint annually !?
Regards
Bill
Completely agree.
I’ll happily chip something in with Bill.

Edit….. that’s all I can do mind. I don’t even know what php means 😬

Thanks Bill and Richard. The idea of a donation has been suggested many times before over the years and I've always pushed back.

I guess if there's no obligation to make a donation and the feature is available to those that want to, there's no reason not to offer it.

I've therefore added a 'product' to the shop in the merchandise area where donations can be made:

A huge thank you in advance to anyone who chooses to use this.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a PHP guru to see this thread soon...

Thanks,

Andy F

Thanks Bill and Richard. The idea of a donation has been suggested many times before over the years and I've always pushed back.

I guess if there's no obligation to make a donation and the feature is available to those that want to, there's no reason not to offer it.

I've therefore added a 'product' to the shop in the merchandise area where donations can be made:

A huge thank you in advance to anyone who chooses to use this.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a PHP guru to see this thread soon...

Thanks,

Andy F
I’ve always thought it was a good idea as you know.

My donation has been made and I hope you get your problem sorted.

So what do you have in mind Andy? I assume you want to update the gallery page and upload photo functionality? Do you want the whole page redeveloped?

It is better to have a detailed requirement first, so the developer can know what need to be done.

So what do you have in mind Andy? I assume you want to update the gallery page and upload photo functionality? Do you want the whole page redeveloped?

It is better to have a detailed requirement first, so the developer can know what need to be done.

For the time being I just want to update it so that it's compatible with the latest secure version of PHP (7.4 is fine). No change in functionality (yet). Currently if I update the domain that the gallery on to 7.X the gallery breaks so it's obviously using old calls.

For the time being I just want to update it so that it's compatible with the latest secure version of PHP (7.4 is fine). No change in functionality (yet). Currently if I update the domain that the gallery on to 7.X the gallery breaks so it's obviously using old calls.
I see, so you only want to make the current version compatible with the newer PHP version. Sounds fairly easy to do, if no one if volunteering, I may give it a try after the 14th, currently too busy with a project deadline.

I see, so you only want to make the current version compatible with the newer PHP version. Sounds fairly easy to do, if no one if volunteering, I may give it a try after the 14th, currently too busy with a project deadline.
Well done Huanzhou, one volunteer is worth two pressed men 👍

Excellent. While you're at it, any chance of touching some of the captors faces up a bit ?? Some right ugly buggers on there..........

;);)

Back