• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

If You Could Offer One Tip...

Not sure about the quiver tip being not suitable, very useful in hitting bites that are finniky, not all bites are 3 foot twitches, and of course useful for drop backs.
Plus, they look nice.👌
Thought my comment about quiver tips would be controversial gents .Don’t really want to get into a debate about small bites versus big bites,its been done to death,in fact quite recently.
All i will say on the subject is if by not using them for my barbel fishing i’ve been missing out on a few bream i think i will carry on leaving them at home.😊

Thought my comment about quiver tips would be controversial gents .Don’t really want to get into a debate about small bites versus big bites,its been done to death,in fact quite recently.
All i will say on the subject is if by not using them for my barbel fishing i’ve been missing out on a few bream i think i will carry on leaving them at home.😊

The local (river Lot, France) anglers think of barbel the same way you might think of bream!

In fact, the fishing info boards along the river do not even recognise the existence of barbel!

Arcambal info.jpg

Suits me, no competition for my favourite river fish!

River Lot barbel can be caught in river conditions ranging from a torrent to complete no-flow "lake" conditions. There are barrages and hydro-electric plants along the river and you can never be sure what will happen to the flow over your fishing day. Quiver tip rods are a very useful tool in some conditions, I am sure I missed a lot of barbel whilst waiting for a "3' Twitch" on my standard rods.

Steve i don’t have a problem with catching bream .In fact i have targeted some large ones in a gravel pit near to me in the past. When caught while after barbel i treat them with the same respect i treat any other fish.
On the subject of quivertips you find them useful sometimes ,fair enough ,i wish you luck with them catching those cracking french barbs in that stunning scenery you have over there.

My tip would be to try different baits if you are not catching. It is amazing the number of times a bait change has resulted in a fish first cast. This could be a completely different bait or a different size of the same bait. It doesn't seem to matter if you haven't introduced any samples of the new offering. The often repeated message that if they are feeding you can catch them on pretty much anything is definitely not always true.

Almost invariably on the Middle Severn, the first cast I'll make is within a rod length of the bank .... up, down, or directly under my feet. There may be a fish there that you'll miss, if you catch one from further out (and whilst you're fishing that 'inside line', feed a line further out where you intend to cast next). I reckon that over 50% of my Middle Severn doubles has been caught well within 10-12ft of the bank.
Loving this thread, and what a good way to harvest the most hard won experiences from seasoned anglers...some excellent tips, but this one of yours Terry is up there with being the best.

Loving this thread, and what a good way to harvest the most hard won experiences from seasoned anglers...some excellent tips, but this one of yours Terry is up there with being the best.
similar to a martin bowler tactic … on mid to smaller rivers bait in a straight line across the river and fish along the line … the idea being you are trying to stop anything swimming past and keep them on that line

It’s fishing not catching - yesterday
Up at 6
Roads icy - nearly bent the car driving to venue
2 long hard walks to the peg - forget I’m old
Forgot my flask and it’s zero degrees
Fished baits hard on the bottom and popped up
All got stripped by crayfish
Moved all the gear at midday
Went from 16” of water to 5’ - too tired to move again
105 acres and body-boarders come through our rods !!!!!
Wind and rain arrived - cold 🥶
Not one run on 6 rods
All gear soaked and muddy to put into car
Mates van gets stuck in the mud

Get home cold, hungry and aching and think
“ I enjoyed that. Lessons learned and next time…”
We must be mad

Hi men ,
No movement of the rod top in an hour , move .

Hatter
Agreed Mark, but just occasionally that ‘sixth’ sense won’t allow you to move. A few years ago I was fishing the Warks. Avon in late Autumn. It had been a sunny cloudless day and as I arrived at the river the temperature was plummeting. Even a brisk walk did not warm me and I considered going home and not wasting my time. I tackled up and cast in. Four hours later my teeth were chattering and my fingers were frozen solid but I could not leave….I just ‘knew’ I would catch a special fish. At 12.10 my rod tip barely flickered but I struck and was rewarded with a beautifully conditioned 12+.
Like others have mentioned, that sixth sense is rarely wrong, don’t ignore it.
G.T.

Like Graham alludes to, moving sometimes comes down a choice of just being happier staying still. I will tend to stay in and even head to fish areas with some bankside vegetation just to take in all of the bird life. It doesn't bother me if I don't catch but for just watching the world go by in a quiet solitude.

Check and check again that you’ve got everything before you set off. Meeting my son on the d/stour a few months ago i forgot my landing net. he got me one from the tackle shop on his way.
Also I left my reading glasses behind the other week couldn’t see any thing with in arms reach😂

Check and check again that you’ve got everything before you set off. Meeting my son on the d/stour a few months ago i forgot my landing net. he got me one from the tackle shop on his way.
Also I left my reading glasses behind the other week couldn’t see any thing with in arms reach.
Been there,done that.A 2ml walk from your chosen swim back to the car before being able to hair rig a pellet is not a great way to start your day.Note to self,get glasses from glovebox.Things like this seem to happen more frequently since I turned 60.Does having senior moments make me a senior member?
This may be the start of a new thread but another tip,dont set a spring loaded mousetrap and then put the bait on!

Back