• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

If You Could Offer One Tip...

Fish in decent conditions when the fish are likely to be feeding.

These days I fish much less than I used to, but I catch more big fish.

2 caveats; I’m not solely barbel focused - so I fish for different species in different conditions AND I’m virtually retired so my time is fairly flexible.

Here’s one I think you’ll appreciate Damian.

“Don’t concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory”.

( Bruce Lee )

Although I would replace finger with Quivertip .Totally unnecessary for Barbel IMHO.
Chub, Roach and Perch Yes, but not Barbel.

Here’s another I’ve just thought of.

“Find the fish yourself”.

Once found and then caught the euphoria felt will be even greater.

And lastly

“Don’t forget to smile” it’s just a hobby.

Last edited:
3 actually

The harder you work, the luckier you get.

Nothing stays the same. If you're fortunate enough to be on a water that is in form, fill your boots and take time to appreciate what you've got because as sure as night follows day, things will change and unfortunately it's rarely for the better.

Loose lips sinks ships - see point 2 - by all means share your wins with trusted friends but broadcast your success at your peril.

Here’s one I think you’ll appreciate Damian.

“Don’t concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory”.

( Bruce Lee )

Although I would replace finger with Quivertip .Totally unnecessary for Barbel IMHO.
Chub, Roach and Perch Yes, but not Barbel.

Here’s another I’ve just thought of.

“Find the fish yourself”.

Once found and then caught the euphoria felt will be even greater.

And lastly

“Don’t forget to smile” it’s just a hobby.
And remember " boards don't hit back " 😁

Wow.Where do you start with this topic.I agree to nearly all of the above posts,but as with any fishing however nothing can ever be set in stone.In my opinion watercraft and getting to know your river length or lengths well by fishing regularly in differing weather/water conditions is as good a tip as any.
Also follow your instincts.It may sound a bit far out but I tend to move swims if no bites or activity occur within a couple of hours.But and it"s a big but,sometimes a swim just "feels" right and I stick it out knowing I will catch.I dont know if you class it as a sixth sense or what it is but it has paid off on numerous occasions.I have also blanked! which leads onto next tip.Enjoy your day.Stay safe all.

Don't overbait can't take it out once its in
Not sure about that one . . .I think most don't use enough but appreciate one mans 'sparse application' is another's 'overbaiting'

I ere on the side of overbaiting on moving water, especially bigger rivers and faster flows . . .its not like its going to be hanging about on the bottom for long, even without a shoal in the immediate vicinity. Keep putting the bait in, on a regular and consistent basis and don't be afraid to keep putting it in . . .when they come they will eat it!

If you only fish for 3/4 hours you will definatly catch more if you stay in one peg chris, its more usual for me to get a response between 1 1/2 hrs to 2 1/2 after casting in, and once i' ve cast in and i' m happy feeling them down onto gravel , back lead on , and they stop there till they go or i pack up,
Regards

Back