• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Spam

Steven Hodges

Senior Member & Supporter
Just seen this:
260953154_10159887522292152_6801780041833271537_n.jpg

brilliant, re-sealable just the thing to stop it looking manky on a warm evening and for storing it in rather than a tupperware tub

I do not think that there is any real advantage to using Spam, when some of the cheaper options work just as well, I remember reading somewhere that Polish sausage sold in “ skins” works just the same .

I would think that any tinned “ meat” of the Spam variety loses its individual appeal when it has been tossed about in a frying pan and coated in whatever spicy flavours you fancy the fish will like .

A bit like using bog standard bulk bought Hali pellets over some that cost 4 times the price by volume because of a name on a packet, no difference in results .

David

I do not think that there is any real advantage to using Spam, when some of the cheaper options work just as well, I remember reading somewhere that Polish sausage sold in “ skins” works just the same .

I would think that any tinned “ meat” of the Spam variety loses its individual appeal when it has been tossed about in a frying pan and coated in whatever spicy flavours you fancy the fish will like .

A bit like using bog standard bulk bought Hali pellets over some that cost 4 times the price by volume because of a name on a packet, no difference in results .

David
I have tried various types of tinned meat but personally found that while they will all catch fish, spam always outfishes other varieties and I use meat 90% of the time. However I have found that you need to use spam fresh out of the tin when it has that fresh meaty smell which tends to disappear after it has been open longer than 24 hours even if it has been stored in the fridge. In flood conditions I usually flavour it with either garlic or madras flavouring to give it extra appeal but with river at normal levels you can't beat it in it's original flavour. Also with regards to comments about it being expensive I don't buy the large 340 gram tins I purchase the smaller 200 gram tins and if you go to the cheap shops like B & M you can buy 2 x 200 gram twin packs for around £2.70 a pack so I tend to buy in bulk. Unless you are using very large meat baits you can easily get 12 to 16 cube baits from a 200 gram tin so I don't consider that expensive for a quality bait. Often instead of using cube shapes I use an apple corer to punch out round plugs which can be broken into whatever length you want and is particularly useful when using meat when float fishing. Incidentally many of the large tins of other meats only contain 250 grams of meat so not as cheap as may first appear.

Four quid a tin is what I have to pay for luncheon meat from the local charity shop. I prefer to get the cheaper brands as Spam is very fatty and because it is not uniformly distributed that can lead to some free offerings floating off downstream. Bacon Grill is good, as is Plumrose. Also, I can buy it cut from a larger piece flavoured with garlic but it is roughly the same cost € per kilo.

When I intend to use meat I take it from the tin the night before, chop it and add smoked paprika or garlic salt, then bag it. Anything left over goes in the bait freezer.

Meat balls are a good alternative bait. Half a kilo of rough minced pork, bread crumbs or maize groundbait and flavouring baked for 40 minutes as balls or sausages to cut a bait from.

As for maggots; six Euro will buy me half a litre of bran with a handfull of maggots somewhere amongst it. And not a food sack in sight. They'll be turning by the next day.

Fortunately maize is readily and cheaply available and has accounted for many of the bigger carp and barbel I've had out here.

Four quid a tin is what I have to pay for luncheon meat from the local charity shop. I prefer to get the cheaper brands as Spam is very fatty and because it is not uniformly distributed that can lead to some free offerings floating off downstream. Bacon Grill is good, as is Plumrose. Also, I can buy it cut from a larger piece flavoured with garlic but it is roughly the same cost € per kilo.
I like it with high fat values. Yes some of it takes a touch longer to hit the deck, but this is my plan of attack. I like to get the fish actively mobile, looking for the feed. I never try and concentrate feed in a tight area. Keep them active, and not let them laze about.

You sound like a PE teacher. 😂

My preferred feeder tactic is to have them spend time searching for micro particles; small pellets, milled maize and hemp plus a few small samples of hook bait, and then present them with a larger or more visibly obvious offering. I don't mind my trundled hook baits having an element of buoyancy, but not the free offerings.

Still plumrose ham and pork for me always found spam a bit soft and yes always take in a small cool bag with a ice pack, still reeling from when those tight wad tulip mercenaries shrunk the tin size.

Back