• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Daiwa SS whisker Tournament reels.

I put ice washers in the spool , makes the clutch even better
I don’t see how this can make it smoother and I think it’s a bit of a gimmick personally because those washers don’t come into contact with each other. They are smeared with grease from new and aftermarket versions recommend grease too. I reckon I could make a standard clutch with original washers equally as smooth by cleaning and regreasing versions that take grease

Last edited:
I always use Baitrunners !! I learnt a very hard lesson once , when reaching to pick up my tea ,
My very expensive rod hooped over off the rod rest into the river attached to a Barbel I assumed .
I was tempted to go in after it but the River was high and running through fast,common sense prevailed,and I remained on the bank jumping up and down in anger and disbelief .😤😤😤 .
" use a BAITRUNNER it can't do any harm👍

I can't always get my chair next to my rods on some of the swims I fish, and I'm not the most nimblest on my feet either. It just makes sense for me to use the baitrunner.

I always use Baitrunners !! I learnt a very hard lesson once , when reaching to pick up my tea ,
My very expensive rod hooped over off the rod rest into the river attached to a Barbel I assumed .
I was tempted to go in after it but the River was high and running through fast,common sense prevailed,and I remained on the bank jumping up and down in anger and disbelief .😤😤😤 .
" use a BAITRUNNER it can't do any harm👍
Obviously I wasn’t there so a bit of speculation on my part but it doesn’t sound like your rod was very well secured to me.
A tea reach is what…… couple of seconds? There’s no chance they’ll get a properly fitted rod off the rest in that time.
I fish locked up because I’m often tight to snags and I’ve taken my eye off the ball to find the rod top being rapped right over dozens of times.
A good downstream snag ear and tight fitting back rest will hold it there for plenty of time to put your cup down im sure.
Baitrunners can cause harm if used in the wrong situations.

Def baitrunners for barbel - could use my QD'd (shock horror!) SS2600 but know I'd forget to set them every time (constant recasting / swim baiting / moving swims etc) which would inevitably result in a lost rod. Cup the spool on the strike anyway (out of habit) and then engage by turning the handle so could be considered superfluous however I like using it as barbel bites (esp at close range) can be silly aggressive sometimes

Loving my Daiwa BR25A's compared to my previous baitrunners. . .light / big spool / great line lay / front drag / decent baitrunner / monster cranking power!

Last edited:
I don’t see how this can make it smoother and I think it’s a bit of a gimmick personally because those washers don’t come into contact with each other. They are smeared with grease from new and aftermarket versions recommend grease too. I reckon I could make a standard clutch with original washers equally as smooth by cleaning and regreasing versions that take grease
I thought ice washers were self lubricating.Was thinking of trying a set on one of my reels.

Obviously I wasn’t there so a bit of speculation on my part but it doesn’t sound like your rod was very well secured to me.
A tea reach is what…… couple of seconds? There’s no chance they’ll get a properly fitted rod off the rest in that time.
I fish locked up because I’m often tight to snags and I’ve taken my eye off the ball to find the rod top being rapped right over dozens of times.
A good downstream snag ear and tight fitting back rest will hold it there for plenty of time to put your cup down im sure.
Baitrunners can cause harm if used in the wrong situations.
That happened 20 yrs ago, I agree the rod wasn't that well secured , my tea reach involved putting cup down and filling from flask ! I nearly managed to gab the handle before it went under water ☹️Used a BAITRUNNER ever since .
Can't imagine how a BAITRUNNER would cause harm 🤔🤔🤔unless fishing next to a snag ???

That happened 20 yrs ago, I agree the rod wasn't that well secured , my tea reach involved putting cup down and filling from flask ! I nearly managed to gab the handle before it went under water ☹️Used a BAITRUNNER ever since .
Can't imagine how a BAITRUNNER would cause harm 🤔🤔🤔unless fishing next to a snag ???
Baitrunner drag can always be adjusted to virtually locked up anyway . . .I think the 'mis-use' can be those that have it on mega-loose / total freerun in all instances, daft if there's a snag within 'bolting' distance. Never seen the sense in this, as in addition turning the handle and going from free-run to 'drag on' is in effect an instant and violent 'brake' which can bump fish off . . .hence my non baitrunner style spool cupping.

Perhaps ridiculously and in most conditions, there's not much freespool difference from my baitrunner to front drag settings anyway and cupping makes up the difference in between - still use the function however as its convenient and also 'peace of mind to pick ones nose' once the rod is positioned in the rest if nothing else . . .

I thought ice washers were self lubricating.Was thinking of trying a set on one of my reels.
Maybe they are Chris. I do use graphite powder on rear carbon washers because they are self lubricating and if these are the same thing then I stand corrected because that is a very smooth operating system. I’ve only ever seen SS clutches with grease between them

Baitrunner screwed down tight has saved me rods, the only reason I use them. Even with good front rod rests, snag ears , butt grips, I've had too many close calls when locked up and flying rods. Usually my fault - last one was from pointing the rod directly at the bait and it went off like a javelin, only the snag ears saving the day. That was using Korum butt holders( the ones you screw into the ground). Nothing wrong with the product but stupidity on my part.
Agree with the above that it's important we do have the clutch set properly as that flick from baitrunner 'off' to clutch has cost me a few fish getting flat-rodded due to the clutch being wound down tight.

Exactly that…… fishing near snags. Unfortunately that’s pretty much every swim in every river I fish.
Some of the rivers and swims we fish this way you could probably clear bank to bank with a running jump. Not baitrunner territory that’s for sure.

Baitrunner screwed down tight has saved me rods, the only reason I use them. Even with good front rod rests, snag ears , butt grips, I've had too many close calls when locked up and flying rods. Usually my fault - last one was from pointing the rod directly at the bait and it went off like a javelin, only the snag ears saving the day. That was using Korum butt holders( the ones you screw into the ground). Nothing wrong with the product but stupidity on my part.
Agree with the above that it's important we do have the clutch set properly as that flick from baitrunner 'off' to clutch has cost me a few fish getting flat-rodded due to the clutch being wound down tight.
Them swale barbel swim around with Burberry caps and Reebok classics🤣
Proper yobs that love a scrap

Always using a baitrunner or loose the clutch. I was fishing the river 2 weeks ago, I dropped the line in the river close to the bank (less than 1 meter I believe) and I went to my bike to get more groundbait from my bag. A party boat driving close to the bank and really fast, it caught my line and just keep going even I was yelling at them. Lucky I have the baitrunner on, so all I lost is about 50m line, a feeder and the hook. Can't imagine what would happen if I don't have baitrunner on.

Them swale barbel swim around with Burberry caps and Reebok classics🤣
Proper yobs that love a scrap
Said it before, everyone I fish with gets a squeaky bum moment most seasons and none of them are reckless ( wandering away from rods etc)
My friend who fishes locked up was all smug with his latest butt grips, but it didn't stop the banksticks with buzzer bars getting ripped out of soft ground 🤣
Invariably it's modest fish that gets a rod, bigger fish seem to pull rather than snatch.

D84E9667-5D61-4744-BBA0-E0176E894665.jpeg

Got my baitrunners on. 👍

Back