• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Luncheon meat.

Robert Cartmell

Hi,hope it's not a silly question ,but iv only this year started fishing for barbel after fishing mainly for pike for the last 2o years,it's fair to say I'm hooked on the barbel!
Has anybody any tips in how to keep luncheon meat on the hook/hair?especially on a big cast?
Thankyou Rob

Oh and a decent meat helps out too.
Plumrose and tulip brands are my two favorites for being able to withstand the most.

The traditional method is to put a small piece of grass stem under the bend of the hook to stop it pulling through. That has worked for me for decades. But I went through a phase of hair rigging the meat using Rawlplugs. Having caught three 3lb plus chub on the same piece of meat I can vouch for its durability.

It is also more dense. Some meat has lots of fatty pieces in it causing the density to be less. OK for trundling meat, but when tethered to a lead it can lead to unwanted movement of the bait and any loose offerings floating off downstream.

Exactly the method I use - have a selection of punched diameters / lengths all meshed up and soaking in glug. I'm that tight that they can even be re-used / re-glugged at the end of a sesh
I have both but rarely use the meshed I caught 1 fish on it once I think its a confidence thing do you find meshed is any less effective than un meshed and obviously has some advantages.

I have both but rarely use the meshed I caught 1 fish on it once I think its a confidence thing do you find meshed is any less effective than un meshed and obviously has some advantages.
Not really sure in the bigger scheme of things as I'm not a big meat user anyway (preferring to use naturals / pellets / boilies over meat) however when used (mainly as a switch out hookbait or as a stinky flood hookbait) I've caught just as many (more chub than barbel) on hair rigged meshed as I have done with a big, direct to hook lump . . .

Being an OCD carp angler I'm always paranoid about what's actually 'fishing' and the potential for a bare hook with meat direct (although in river fishing this is arguably negated by much more frequent recasting) so the peace of mind is also why I prefer the meshed method (a bit like always using plastic maggots on the hook with lives - you're always 'fishing') . . . its convenience (stored indefinitely in a glug pot) and re-usability are additional pluses!

Give the meat a bit of a fry up in some spicy oils etc, it gives it a tougher skin and the Barbel seem to like it. I fry up the meat in larger chunks then cut them in half so the flavours leach out . I pull the hooklength through the meat so the hook is into the fried crust , insert said bit of grass, or plant stem. Robert is your mums brother .

David

Last edited:
It's really not necessary to hair rig it, but I'd go for chopped ham & pork as it's tougher

Large round tins of PEK chopped pork ( 300 gram ), currently on offer in Morrisons, £1.20 a tin. Very similar texture to spam.

PEK.JPG

Last edited:
Back