• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

!st Tench

Good day
9 tench ranging from 2,12 to 7,07 (new pb for me) 4-5lb average so very happy with that.
98E60C75-B84F-488D-A5CA-197D2D0C0DDA.jpeg
723645E7-D861-47A2-A455-E444E9FBD34D.jpeg

I also managed a very strange capture on a static piece of corn
536F1278-AF1B-427E-B78A-04E04D9A462E.jpeg
85A2D74E-69C9-452C-879C-A8E48A2C37F8.jpeg

i think she’s gone in to pick off a small fish feeding on my bait and ended up picking up my sweet corn. It’s the only logical thing. Or the initial bite was a small fish and she smashed it before I picked up the rod and got hooked.

Had it happen a few times Richard.

I think it's the open mouth suck in that does it.
One caught on cheesepaste hard on the bottom.

Lumps of meat maybe different case.

Great days fishing. Well done.

Had it happen a few times Richard.

I think it's the open mouth suck in that does it.
One caught on cheesepaste hard on the bottom.

Lumps of meat maybe different case.

Great days fishing. Well done.
I’ve caught them on meat, worms and pellets but sweet corn is a new one for me.

The 20 acre Lake I intended to fish, had quite a few Long stay carpers on.
Asking them about tench, they all said...don't see any!

Found out from the Baliff they had been netted out and transfered to another lake.
( is every lake just for carp now!?)

Popped to that one.

Really windy gale force day, pleased to end up with 11 tench to 7lb 6oz. Most about 5lb+

The 20 acre Lake I intended to fish, had quite a few Long stay carpers on.
Asking them about tench, they all said...don't see any!

Found out from the Baliff they had been netted out and transfered to another lake.
( is every lake just for carp now!?)

Popped to that one.

Really windy gale force day, pleased to end up with 11 tench to 7lb 6oz. Most about 5lb+
It’s sad but unfortunately that’s where these fisheries pick up the bigger money. Carp anglers. It’s all about the biggest fattest fish for the picture nowadays which means carp, pike, cats and barbel will always be the top priorities for specimen anglers.
I was bought up for the first 10 years of my fishing on the swale and surrounding becks. Trotting for Grayling were my favorite species for years and i literally had them to myself. I still reckon I would now if I lived up that way. Caught them to immense sizes on those rivers and becks while everyone else was out for the pike chub and barbel

It’s sad but unfortunately that’s where these fisheries pick up the bigger money. Carp anglers. It’s all about the biggest fattest fish for the picture nowadays which means carp, pike, cats and barbel will always be the top priorities for specimen anglers.
I was bought up for the first 10 years of my fishing on the swale and surrounding becks. Trotting for Grayling were my favorite species for years and i literally had them to myself. I still reckon I would now if I lived up that way. Caught them to immense sizes on those rivers and becks while everyone else was out for the pike chub and barbel
If people solely angle for carp, I don't think they can be known as anglers. Carpers maybe.

First tench of the season this evening. 6.04 male, followed shortly after by 2 other males one pushing 6.

That's a run of blanks over then..phew. It's been hard going with these cold nights and easterly breezes. Spotted some hawthorn in blossom on the drive down which bodes well. Always find the tench season gets properly underway when the hedges are in full bloom.

Attachments

• IMG-20210514-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20210514-WA0009.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 188
First tench of the season this evening. 6.04 male, followed shortly after by 2 other males one pushing 6.

That's a run of blanks over then..phew. It's been hard going with these cold nights and easterly breezes. Spotted some hawthorn in blossom on the drive down which bodes well. Always find the tench season gets properly underway when the hedges are in full bloom.
Beautiful fish joe.
I did my pb again on the lake at 7,13
74A24B46-DA92-41B2-B9F7-842D08F77C76.jpeg

I’m not a regular tencher as can probably tell as I’m still in the lower end regarding pbs but this was awesome sport on the little mark Tunley chub quiver. I don’t need 60 yards so the torrix’s can keep for the proper beasts on the river

Beautiful fish joe.
I did my pb again on the lake at 7,13 View attachment 15059
I’m not a regular tencher as can probably tell as I’m still in the lower end regarding pbs but this was awesome sport on the little mark Tunley chub quiver. I don’t need 60 yards so the torrix’s can keep for the proper beasts on the river
That's a cracker Rich. Well done, nice to see you've got the tench bug!

As an side, 2 of my fish last night came within a minute of re-casting. For those of you haven’t fished much for tench, I’m a firm believer that with tench, if nothing is happening - recast. I don’t think they associated it with the dinner bell ringing, but they are such curious fish that they are keen to investigate any disturbance in their near vicinity.

As an side, 2 of my fish last night came within a minute of re-casting. For those of you haven’t fished much for tench, I’m a firm believer that with tench, if nothing is happening - recast. I don’t think they associated it with the dinner bell ringing, but they are such curious fish that they are keen to investigate any disturbance in their near vicinity.
Joe, I think it's more the case that tench groups do circuits of the water.

A couple of places I know you could almost set your watch by them.

Over the last couple of weeks I have had the same as you up to 3 fish then few hours of slow fishing

Joe, I think it's more the case that tench groups do circuits of the water.

A couple of places I know you could almost set your watch by them.

Over the last couple of weeks I have had the same as you up to 3 fish then few hours of slow fishing
I agree with much of that. I reckon they move around in pods of 4-6 fish, but number of times I’ve had a fish within a minute of recasting a feeder (maggot or method) is unreal, sometimes having barely clipped the bobbin on.

Back