• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Freespirit Question

Garry Howell

Hi - just having a Freespirit big water barbel custom built, having noticed that they do a quiver tip section for this, does anyone have any experience of this top section, basically is it worth the extra outlay? Also as a side, I noticed that the quiver tip section also fits the 1.75lb rod, so by that reasoning the 1.75lb top section would fit the 2.25lb butt section - wonder what that would be like - suppose I am looking for the impossible rod that does everything! Any comments appreciated.

Hi - just having a Freespirit big water barbel custom built, having noticed that they do a quiver tip section for this, does anyone have any experience of this top section, basically is it worth the extra outlay? Also as a side, I noticed that the quiver tip section also fits the 1.75lb rod, so by that reasoning the 1.75lb top section would fit the 2.25lb butt section - wonder what that would be like - suppose I am looking for the impossible rod that does everything! Any comments appreciated.
I'd ask Freespirit directly Garry, they're the people who will really know. I'm sure there's a lot of top sections that would fit, but just having the same diameter female joint tells you nowt. Lovely rods (B.W's).... plenty of 'feel'.

A quiver section is quite a useful addition if you wish to use the same rod for targeting fish that don’t wrench the rod right over when they bite.
I have the the exact same rods. Seeker blanks 2.25 big river barbels. (Huge seeker fan)
being a high end free spirit blank I’m absolutely sure the quiver section will work well with them.
If the 1.75 section does fit I still wouldn’t try it Personally. free spirit never intended them to be compatible
It would probably be a horrible compromise.

A quiver section is quite a useful addition if you wish to use the same rod for targeting fish that don’t wrench the rod right over when they bite.
I have the the exact same rods. Seeker blanks 2.25 big river barbels. (Huge seeker fan)
being a high end free spirit blank I’m absolutely sure the quiver section will work well with them.
If the 1.75 section does fit I still wouldn’t try it Personally. free spirit never intended them to be compatible
It would probably be a horrible compromise.
Is there a bit of a mix up here Richard? OP was about "Big Waters", not "Big Rivers". Very different rods.

Is there a bit of a mix up here Richard? OP was about "Big Waters", not "Big Rivers". Very different rods.
Terry, I’m going to show my ignorance now, how does the big river differ from the big water. I’ve a pair of Hi S Big Waters and recently got a pair of Spirit 2.25 TC (intended for my son to use but me thinks these will become my Trent and Carp rods). The Spirit 2.25 is heavier in the tip than my BW’s and i’m curious about the Big Waters. In normal times I would have wandered up to The Tackle Box and chatted with the lads up there and hand a “wiggle”. The Big Waters are superb rods by the way and will be getting much wider usage this coming year with the intention of doing some feeder fishing at range for Tench with ‘em

Different carbon (BR : 36T, BW : 40T) and the BW, designated a 'Hi S', is slimmer with a more through action ... I think. But, like you, I've not had a waggle of both (I've a pair of B.W.'s too)

I’ve waggled both the Hi s big waters and the S big rivers and Terry is absolutely right, there is quite a big difference despite the fact they share the same TC. Both great rods and not a lot of difference in the price but in the end I went with the S over the Hi S simply because it felt more of a power barbel tool to me.
it’s a bit tippier with a powerful butt section and quite close (ish) to Torrix in behavior
The hi s is more through action. Still felt a powerful rod from the very brief encounter I had holding it but my personal preference on this type of rod is something I feel can get the brakes slammed on if I need too. The big rivers suited me better personally.

I was hoping that the "B.W." written on the Big Waters was an omen, that they were destined to catch well Below Worcester. But that's not turned out to be true 😫
😂😂😂
Funny enough Terry i’m Hoping that the BW is an omen for Below Worcester for Bill W 🤣🤣 I’ve not fished the Severn for about seven years and never the lower but intend to have a butchers once retirement kicks in and we’re allowed to travel. I’ve this coming week at work, then a fortnight off then a week at work before finally having two days off Christmas week so i’ve Two weeks one and a half days left at work....i’m Not counting of course😎

Funny enough Terry i’m Hoping that the BW is an omen for Below Worcester for Bill W 🤣🤣 I’ve not fished the Severn for about seven years and never the lower but intend to have a butchers once retirement kicks in and we’re allowed to travel. I’ve this coming week at work, then a fortnight off then a week at work before finally having two days off Christmas week so i’ve Two weeks one and a half days left at work....i’m Not counting of course😎
I gave it neck at 50 Bill ... sounds like you'll to have plenty of time to blank on the Lower in the near future ;) There's a mine of information on here re. the Lower, so it'll just be a matter of putting the hours in ... and luck.

Terry, I’m going to show my ignorance now, how does the big river differ from the big water. I’ve a pair of Hi S Big Waters and recently got a pair of Spirit 2.25 TC (intended for my son to use but me thinks these will become my Trent and Carp rods). The Spirit 2.25 is heavier in the tip than my BW’s and i’m curious about the Big Waters. In normal times I would have wandered up to The Tackle Box and chatted with the lads up there and hand a “wiggle”. The Big Waters are superb rods by the way and will be getting much wider usage this coming year with the intention of doing some feeder fishing at range for Tench with ‘em
Bill the spirit 2.25,s are based on the E class blank

Bill the spirit 2.25,s are based on the E class blank
Thanks Terry 👍 I thought they were, can’t wait to get a bend in ‘em:) I love them already and not used them yet. They’ll be on the bank next weekend:p

Also not to be confused with the urban myth and complete utter bo**ox that TFG,s were built on E class blanks or any free spirit blank for that matter.... makes me chuckle when people are selling TFG rods with free spirit written in brackets
I bought a TFG rod (something like River & Stream, ~1.75/12ft) about 15 years ago. It looked superb so I ran some line through it, had half a dozen casts down the garden .... and gave it away to a mate. I think the blanks were made by 'Apathetic', not 'Free Spirit'.

Back