• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Looking for a new chub reel

Peter Brownbill

I’ve got quite a few reels I could use in 3000 4000 size Diawas , but don’t want to keep taking A reel Of another rod , looking at a shimano 4000 size , hit me up with models , cheers

Shimano sienna 4000fg.. cheap as chips at around £30.00 no spare spool with it though.. i bought one for occasional work
and was really surprised how good the drag is.. it really is smooth, no sticking. jerking just gives line precisely....
i bought a 2nd one to use for feeder fishing and i'm really pleased with it.. i dunno about long term use and it is basic but for £30 you can't really go wrong...

I would suggest a 4000 OC, at about £95 new a super bit if kit. The clutch is very smooth and the cranking power really first class. I am using them for chub and barbel fishing on small rivers like the Derwent.
Can’t find any of those for sale

Most Shimano bail arms are too flimsy for me so I went for a cheap DAM Quick 4000RD. Bomb proof with a great drag.

A8E4926C-047A-4866-9687-B572D3D2D38F.jpeg

See my posts on the Yumoshi reels. Best quality I've found. I'm pretty sure they're not that popular because they're too cheap. Can choose your size, some go from 1000 - 10,000 with detailed specifications.

Just get a Cadence 4000, light, strong and smooth, choose a model to suit your budget. Working parts are the same across the range including the clutch, just depends what body material and how many ball bearings you want to pay for.

See my posts on the Yumoshi reels. Best quality I've found. I'm pretty sure they're not that popular because they're too cheap. Can choose your size, some go from 1000 - 10,000 with detailed specifications.

I have one Yuminoshi reel. Whilst outwardly it seems alright, the material quality is cheaper or rather than finish isn’t as good as premium brands but it’s operationally a sound reel. My only gripe is the line lay is poor, the spool has a ruffled appearance and it’s subsequent pay out suffers. I’d say it’s of similar quality to a late 90s Shakespeare reel.
If your looking for a front drag reel in the 3-4000 size sizes, you won’t go far wrong with any of the offerings from the main reel manufacturers. By that I mean, your Shimano’s and Diawa’s Etc rather than your Fox’s for example. For ~£50 you will get a lovely reel that will serve you for many years, you can of corse pay more...

Second hand 90’s Gtm is probably as good as anything you’ll buy New today. Perfect chub reel.
The 4010 gtm is probably one of the best feeder reels you’ll ever come across without a shadow of a doubt. They simply don’t go wrong and the fighting drag is a nice touch if your playing with lighter lines/hook lengths .
It’s a high speed gear ratio mind so it won’t have Baitrunner cranking power but for big chub you ain’t gonna need it.
I use a super aero match (4010 with single handle and no fighting drag) for a lot of my chub fishing and I wouldn’t change it.

Second hand 90’s Gtm is probably as good as anything you’ll buy New today. Perfect chub reel.
The 4010 gtm is probably one of the best feeder reels you’ll ever come across without a shadow of a doubt. They simply don’t go wrong and the fighting drag is a nice touch if your playing with lighter lines/hook lengths .
It’s a high speed gear ratio mind so it won’t have Baitrunner cranking power but for big chub you ain’t gonna need it.
I use a super aero match (4010 with single handle and no fighting drag) for a lot of my chub fishing and I wouldn’t change it.
I used to have two shimano 5010 I know what ya saying , took me ages to find single handles

Back