• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait making...

Julian Griffiths

Evening all.

My mind won't stop thinking about wanting to make my own boilie baits.
I'll only be making enough for a session a one egg mix for example.

Which hand held rolling tables would you recommend and bait gun.

I will not need a pneumatic air gun type extruder, just a basic one.

As an example, the Gardner rolling tables look good to me.

Thanks!👍

I’m toying with the idea too. I keep doing a basket on John Baker’s site, then getting distracted and not completing the purchase...

What’s the standard egg/base mix ratio?

I’d imagine catching on a bait you’ve knocked up yourself is very rewarding.

I’m toying with the idea too. I keep doing a basket on John Baker’s site, then getting distracted and not completing the purchase...

What’s the standard egg/base mix ratio?

I’d imagine catching on a bait you’ve knocked up yourself is very rewarding.
There is alot of advice and mix ratios on John bakers website, I've used one of them and caught on em .

Been making my own bait for 17 or so years, using John Baker basemix and flavours. I stopped rolling into boilies years ago, and just extrude sausages with gun, chop into 4" lengths, and boil. To be honest I wouldn't make a one egg basemix , other than as a paste mix. A 6 egg mix is the smallest I would do, bearing in mind all the cleaning up afterwards. A 6 egg mix gives about a one and a quarter fill in sausage gun.

Cheers, Wayne. I’ll have a good read up and try to not get sidelined looking at all the liquid flavours.

I have made my own boilies for some time now and I do it exactly as you described 1 egg mixes fresh before a session. The bait is at its absolute best made literally hours before its cast out.
I have never used any rolling devices I just hand roll my own dumbbell shaped boilies to the desired size. Always worth keeping a smidge of the paste leftover for a wrap or two.
You won’t go far wrong with a JB basemix.
He does some good ones with barbel in mind like the big rivers, taste, bio shelfish and if you like a spiced mix the Bombay mix has proved it’s worth with barbel on many occasions.
Here’s a few of mine straight out the pan. The most important thing is not to over cook them. The centre should still be soft and paste like with a hard crust.
A1EBF755-29F8-458D-82C4-5113E021D848.jpeg

I have made my own boilies for some time now and I do it exactly as you described 1 egg mixes fresh before a session. The bait is at its absolute best made literally hours before its cast out.
I have never used any rolling devices I just hand roll my own dumbbell shaped boilies to the desired size. Always worth keeping a smidge of the paste leftover for a wrap or two.
You won’t go far wrong with a JB basemix.
He does some good ones with barbel in mind like the big rivers, taste, bio shelfish and if you like a spiced mix the Bombay mix has proved it’s worth with barbel on many occasions.
Here’s a few of mine straight out the pan. The most important thing is not to over cook them. The centre should still be soft and paste like with a hard crust.
View attachment 12554
What's the boil times on something of that size Richard?
15-20 seconds?👍

I do the same as mentioned above.

Roll out a load of sausages of around 15mm diameter then chop into lengths of around 15cm. Then boil around 6 at a time for around 1 minute 50 seconds. Boiling time obviously depends on the base mix you're using as well as size. I made some earlier in the season and didn't boil for long enough was constantly winding in with no bait left. Once boiled I leave the sausages on a cake rack the we have in the kitchen drawer to dry and chop up with a very sharp knife when they've dried properly.

I always make up a paste mix for wraps...

Cheers,

Andy

had a go at making my own bait about 10 years ago. Found it an awful lot of bother for little reward. Though I get the satisfaction of catching on your own bait. Sold all the bits and pieces, flavorings base mixes and alike. Now 2 kids later, I have no idea how i found the time for things like that.

I don't make boilies, preferring home made meatballs for that sort of fishing.

I get a kilo of rough pork mince and put about 2/3 through a blender to reduce the overall grain size. Then add some cereal. Initially I added breadcrumbs just as I do for the ones that we eat. But now I sieve some crushed hemp ground bait and tortille de mais which is ground maize shells. Polenta would do just as well. That gives a gritty texture to the baits as well as adding two attractants. For flavouring I add a couple of table spoons of smoked paprika or aniseed, a bit of salt and a tea spoon of hot chilli pepper. All that it mixed up by hand and after leaving for half an hour for the cereals to soak up the moisture I'll roll them into 20mm balls or sausages of around 20mm diameter and 20cm long. Then they are put in an oven for 45 minutes at 180c. The balls and sausages can be frozen in batches and they are tough enough to be side hooked or used on a hair.

I don't make boilies, preferring home made meatballs for that sort of fishing.

I get a kilo of rough pork mince and put about 2/3 through a blender to reduce the overall grain size. Then add some cereal. Initially I added breadcrumbs just as I do for the ones that we eat. But now I sieve some crushed hemp ground bait and tortille de mais which is ground maize shells. Polenta would do just as well. That gives a gritty texture to the baits as well as adding two attractants. For flavouring I add a couple of table spoons of smoked paprika or aniseed, a bit of salt and a tea spoon of hot chilli pepper. All that it mixed up by hand and after leaving for half an hour for the cereals to soak up the moisture I'll roll them into 20mm balls or sausages of around 20mm diameter and 20cm long. Then they are put in an oven for 45 minutes at 180c. The balls and sausages can be frozen in batches and they are tough enough to be side hooked or used on a hair.
Nice one! I could eat them myself mate!😀

Of course, you could just cook some pork sausages and cut them into pieces.😁

Saying that I have made some mighty meaty and some milk boilies for certain days

Of course, you could just cook some pork sausages and cut them into pieces.😁

Saying that I have made some mighty meaty and some milk boilies for certain days
I've caught a hell of a lot of barbel on par-cooked sausages. About 20-25 seconds in microwave.

Back