• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another Rod Question!

Ben Marr

I'm looking to get a heavier rod for Barbel to have in my arsenal, I notice I can get a 2lb 12 ft Torrix for about the same as an Infinity Evo 2.25,
I already have a 1.75 Infinity which I really like, but I also read a lot about how great the Torrix is.
Any thoughts?

When you say a heavier rod I wouldn’t say a 2lb torrix is a heavy rod , will work on most rivers except when it’s carrying extra water .I have 2 and there superb rods , I’d look at a custom build 2.5 , maybe a Dark carbon M Tunley, believe there great rods

I have just recently picked up a 2nd hand pair of the M Tunley Dark Carbons and can confirm having now caught barbel on them they are superb rods. Definitely on the heavier side (still having to adjust to not overcast with a heavy feeder 😅). Build quality etc is top notch 👍

I've got 1.75lb Torrix, 2lb Torrix and Peregrine Floodwater rods, most of my autumn fishing has been done with the latter. Powerful enough to throw a big feeder out if required but sensitive enough to show the taps. About the same price of a 2lb Torrix too.

Free Spirit Barbel Seeker might be worth a look. They've been out a long time now, still a great tool, have happily used them to bosh out feeders on bigger rivers, Thames, Trent, Severn etc. but will also use them on a smaller river with a couple of foot on.

Stick with what you know and what you like and it will save you any potential disappointment if your not able to get out and try them all out.
the daiwa infinity is a top end rod and absolutely justifies its price. As your happy with it already Theres no need to change just step up.
I jump in leaps of 1/2 lb for my rods. So I’ve got rods of 1.25/1.75/2.25/2.75 which I believe covers everything perfectly
If you’ve got 1.75 and feeling undergunned I’d say jump a bit further to get yourself covered.

I had the infinity 2.25, same butt and just a heavier tip section. 1.75 is a class light rod. I also had Torrix 2.5lb, great rod, but imo lacking in the butt, when you needed it most on a heavy river trent.

Hi Ben.

If you're fishing the Wye any rod that the lads on here recommend for the Trent will be fine. Any decent rod from 1.75 to 2.75 will be up to the job depending on the conditions on the day. The Wye as you know can be a 'beast' in spate conditions...not really much different to the Trent like-for-like.

Yes, like me I use a 1.75 infinity when doing light work on the Trent and TT. But when I need a bit more I step up, as I have said I have had the 2.25 infinity and the 2.5 torrix. They didn't really suit me.. I'm a big 13 foot rod fan too and the korum 13 is getting great reviews and v cheap too. Ones, I have seen in use in 12 foot I like are , fox 2.75, Peregrine flood and snag and the Chimera 3. I have just got the Chimera4, which is a different beast altogether.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.
I want to buy British made if possible, I'm on a bit of a "support our country" drive, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice with fishing gear.
As far as I can tell, rod wise, that limits me to certain Diawas and Harrison, although someone may know otherwise.

Century are British designed and built. I use a 12ft 2.75 FBS for flood conditions and its perfect. I also use an Armalite for more benign conditions.

Back