• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook choice

Jameel Khan

Having started the season using Nash's Fang Twister am now on my third hook pull . Over the years i've used a wide variety of hooks , but having finished last season with next to nothing in my tackle box thought i'd give them a go as they came highly recommended . I went on to buying a couple of packs in various sizes and was impressed as to how sharp they were . Anyways my question is , has anyone experienced the same sort of thing in using these hooks as hook pulls are not something i've ever really experienced befor and whats the preferred choice of others , many thanks .

Depending on your hook link material (I use flouro), I can't recommend Bank Tackle continental hooks enough. Perfect pattern, sharp and cheap compared to your branded hooks. Can't see me changing any time soon.

IMG_0878.JPG

Having started the season using Nash's Fang Twister am now on my third hook pull . Over the years i've used a wide variety of hooks , but having finished last season with next to nothing in my tackle box thought i'd give them a go as they came highly recommended . I went on to buying a couple of packs in various sizes and was impressed as to how sharp they were . Anyways my question is , has anyone experienced the same sort of thing in using these hooks as hook pulls are not something i've ever really experienced befor and whats the preferred choice of others , many thanks .
Ditch the fangs they are great hooks but those straight points won’t stay sharp for long and swap to the claw.
The pin point claw is all I ever use now and they’ve cost me 1 fish in come November it will be 2 years
They hold onto fish like you wouldn’t believe due to the crease in the bottom of the hook

Ditch the fangs they are great hooks but those straight points won’t stay sharp for long and swap to the claw.
The pin point claw is all I ever use now and they’ve cost me 1 fish in come November it will be 2 years
They hold onto fish like you wouldn’t believe due to the crease in the bottom of the hook
Too true mate the straight points don't stay sharp for long , yet another concern with these hooks . Good advise mate , will definitely look into the claw thanks .

I use the claw hooks for my bigger baits I’m very happy with them 👍

I have been 100pc happy with Raptor D7s but. They don't make them anymore and now out of my size 9's.
The replacements, Cryogen are in even numbers only so looking at a couple of options nearer the size 9 pattern that IMO are perfect for 10mm bait size

I have used the Gardner Target Specimen barbless for a few years now and this season tried the ESP Cryogen barbless as the Gardners are limited to a maximum of size 10. Both have never let me down. I do however accept the risk that the occasional fish simply comes off as the lack of barb allows it to come out easily but I think over the last three seasons that has been limited to one per season. I believe it happens when the fish takes a sudden turn of direction.

Regarding barbless, my feeling is they do far less damage to the mouth of a barbel and I understand this argument does not necessarily stand for other species. Very frequently the hook drops out in the net and I cannot remember the last time I had to resort to forceps to remove a hook.

I am tempted to try the alternatives recommended above. As far as cost goes I don't begrudge paying a premium for a reliable hook.

I use the claw hooks for my bigger baits I’m very happy with them 👍
Too true mate the straight points don't stay sharp for long , yet another concern with these hooks . Good advise mate , will definitely look into the claw thanks .
Hi Richard and thanks for taking the time to post . Can i ask do you use a kicker and silicon tubing to hold the hair in place thanks

I have used the Gardner Target Specimen barbless for a few years now and this season tried the ESP Cryogen barbless as the Gardners are limited to a maximum of size 10. Both have never let me down. I do however accept the risk that the occasional fish simply comes off as the lack of barb allows it to come out easily but I think over the last three seasons that has been limited to one per season. I believe it happens when the fish takes a sudden turn of direction.

Regarding barbless, my feeling is they do far less damage to the mouth of a barbel and I understand this argument does not necessarily stand for other species. Very frequently the hook drops out in the net and I cannot remember the last time I had to resort to forceps to remove a hook.

I am tempted to try the alternatives recommended above. As far as cost goes I don't begrudge paying a premium for a reliable hook.
Thankyou for that John , wise words pal .

Back