• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wader recommendations

Edward Adcock

Senior Member & Supporter
Any recommendations for a pair of waders which will probably be used only half a dozen times a year for float trotting on a silty bed?

First thing I'd say Edward is go neoprene, and secondly, 5mm+ thickness. I've used Diawa for the last 6-8yrs and found them to be good, and inexpensive (most I've paid is £55). No waders last, but the thicker neoprene helps IMO. Buy according to the depth you're going to wade... i.e. don't buy waist waders if your not going to wade much passed your knees, and only buy chesties if you're intending to wade above your waist. Common sense I know, but it needs saying.

....and buy a bicycle puncture repair kit for when they do spring a leak :D

Edward, I agree with Terry re neoprene, they are very comfortable for walking in too, in summer I wear them over shorts, I find this is a good solution to not overheating. The last pair I got were from Diver Dave for about £50, he sourced them for me and pressure tested before sending them. (you can find him on the internet).

I've got a pair of practically new neoprene chesties, stockingfoot with a pair of felt/vibram soled wading boots. Size xl suitable for size 9 feet. Think they're Wychwood, I'll check.
We wouldn't fall out over the price.
Post at cost or collect North London.
Ad from a while back. They're Snowbee.

Last edited:
Have you look at the daiwa hybrid chest waders half neoprene very comfy and you wont bake yourself to death in summer had mine for a year now very impressed

Thanks for the advice. I'm heading towards the Bison 5mm neoprene chest ones on Ebay.
Bison haven't got the best reputation for quality. I'd get in touch with Diver Dave, he'll sort you out with some better than new, in a suitable size. Neoprene can get VERY hot in Summer. I'm totally sold on breathables.

Not sure I'd buy any waders on line, tbh, unless youve had them before.
You really need to try them on, imo, as the fits vary a lot, and too big or too small can lead to premature wear, not to mention your comfort!

Paul, as I mentioned before, I wear shorts under mine in summer and do quite a bit of walking, never found the neoprene too warm that way.

If you want chest waders, i can recommend Ikon waders. I have had a pair for 4 years and use regularly especially scrambling around small streams on Welsh borders: light and very comfortable to walk and wade in. They wash well with Nikwash products. More recently they have brought out a design with front zip which is useful. For some winter use, simply wear thermals underneath. A lot better than heavy neoprene.

If you want chest waders, i can recommend Ikon waders. I have had a pair for 4 years and use regularly especially scrambling around small streams on Welsh borders: light and very comfortable to walk and wade in. They wash well with Nikwash products. More recently they have brought out a design with front zip which is useful. For some winter use, simply wear thermals underneath. A lot better than heavy neoprene.
Got a pair of vision ikons from Diver Dave a few years back! Fantastic and far better than the £400 Simms they replaced. Half the retail price at the time and supplied more or less made to measure.
A shop will always promote what they have in stock.
I'm a pensioner now and any waders I own in the future will be through Diver Dave.

Forgot to add, make sure that whatever you buy that you try them on for comfort and fit. As one of the short fat hairy leg brigade i find this to be essential.

Back