• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lockdown watching

Not fishing related...but have just watched 'Tiger King' on Netflix.

It's about a documentary about a gun-toting, mullet sporting, red neck zoo-keeper who literally owns hundreds of tigers.

It's the weirdest thing I've watched since some of the early Louis Theroux docs.

Americans really are a x@$%#£-up nation...I never knew they are more Tigers in captivity in the US than there are in the wild. As a measure of how weird the people in the program are, the real life character who inspired the character Tony Montana in the film Scarface is probably the most normal person in the program..

Catching the Impossible on Netflix is fantastic. Even worth re-watching for those who have seen it.
I watched it when it first aired. I will be going back to give it another go.
I seem to remember the first episode produced a massive Barbel from the Great Ouse.
Fishing is much different ten years later with the difficulties fisheries face now.

Not fishing related...but have just watched 'Tiger King' on Netflix.

It's about a documentary about a gun-toting, mullet sporting, red neck zoo-keeper who literally owns hundreds of tigers.

It's the weirdest thing I've watched since some of the early Louis Theroux docs.

Americans really are a x@$%#£-up nation...I never knew they are more Tigers in captivity in the US than there are in the wild. As a measure of how weird the people in the program are, the real life character who inspired the character Tony Montana in the film Scarface is probably the most normal person in the program..
Only part way through it. Wierd hardly comes close. So many parts of it are off the scale bonkers that no one would have written it... So it's probably true...

Catching the Impossible on Netflix is fantastic. Even worth re-watching for those who have seen it.
I watched it when it first aired. I will be going back to give it another go.
I seem to remember the first episode produced a massive Barbel from the Great Ouse.
Fishing is much different ten years later with the difficulties fisheries face now.

Is it definitely on Netflix John ? I can't find it

Hi men ,

Little story 🙂. The opening scene in that passion for angling , autumn , where they are viewed from high up walking along the river . That's Breamore mill , where it forms a island . It used to be dayticket , and me and Sue spent an awesome 2 weeks fishing there . Sue catching chub from under that willow on the island , and me dace and roach , with pike from the mill stream .

That was 44 years ago 😲😲😲
IMG_20200329_211642.jpg

Spent many hours sitting under that willow .

Old Hatter 🙄

Last edited:
Hi men ,

In fact a year later we bumped into another video star , the river keeper Tom Williams . We were sat in a pub at Downton when a couple of smelly wet dogs came into the bar and laid down by the roaring fire . The barman said they are old Toms dogs , he would follow , and he poured him a pint ready 🙂. Later on Tom recommended a little stretch for us to try , what a character

Hatter

Brilliant watch, thought I had watched it all,in the past, but no.. The Bath Pultney weir I had, and was interesting in that as a kid I used to fish near there, and the Roach were huge. Also the last bit was on my old stamping ground the upper upper Bristol Avon where you used to catch again, good Roach, looking forward to episode 2.

Hatter, I guested Tom's stretch at Downton a few times many years ago before he turned up one day with the dogs and moved us on ! lovely bit of water with some cracking roach and chub.

Back