• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Change of rivers..

Ste Whybrow

Hi been fishing the ribble for 18 months now and really enjoying it with fish to 10.6 but I’m a member of normanton(river Trent) barbel society stretch and fancy a change,but it totally puts me off not that it’s big and tidel it’s the amount of stuff anglers take with them,2-4 rods pods bivvy enough bait to sink a ship etc I’m a 1 rod man with very limited gear,I use 1 pva bag for every swim I fish on the ribble ,I fish 1 hr before dark and 2-3 after depending what time of yr my question is if I fish like this on the Trent would I be wasting my time,do I need to bivvy up and wait or do what I normally do as they are two completely different rivers..ps hate bivvys 😳

I’m not a Trent fisherman and certainly couldn’t give you anything like the best information for tackling that river but I very much doubt your gonna be wasting your time by adopting a lighter approach on a short session. I’ve known a lot of people that have just day fished it feeding through feeders and caught fish.

I’m not a Trent fisherman and certainly couldn’t give you anything like the best information for tackling that river but I very much doubt your gonna be wasting your time by adopting a lighter approach on a short session. I’ve known a lot of people that have just day fished it feeding through feeders and caught fish.
Cheers mate 👍

I fished the barbel society water before they took it over and only ever fished the way you do. Caught plenty of barbel as well. I found it fished better on a run off tide. Not when backing up. Also better when it starts to run off, not at the bottom of the tide. Also good late in the day into darkness. Don't be afraid of putting plenty of feed in. One difference to your approach was I used a feeder so I could introduce groundbait and hemp seed as well. You will sometimes need 4oz of lead (or more).
Hope this helps,
Ian

One rod fished well will beat 2 rods fished poorly everytime imo.
I have fished normanton before, theres a couple of good features to fish to too, which are near side. The first Navigation post about 100yds down from the car park would be my firstchoice. Once did a good dozen Barbel from that peg years ago🎣🎣
Ensure you have the code for the gate too.

I fished the barbel society water before they took it over and only ever fished the way you do. Caught plenty of barbel as well. I found it fished better on a run off tide. Not when backing up. Also better when it starts to run off, not at the bottom of the tide. Also good late in the day into darkness. Don't be afraid of putting plenty of feed in. One difference to your approach was I used a feeder so I could introduce groundbait and hemp seed as well. You will sometimes need 4oz of lead (or more).
Hope this helps,
Ian
Need to suss out them tide times as well,going to give it ago before close season 👍

One rod fished well will beat 2 rods fished poorly everytime imo.
I have fished normanton before, theres a couple of good features to fish to too, which are near side. The first Navigation post about 100yds down from the car park would be my firstchoice. Once did a good dozen Barbel from that peg years ago🎣🎣
Ensure you have the code for the gate too.
Yes cheers mate got it somewhere I think will sort before I go,going to get there first light and fish till about 11,I’ve got a 2-3 hr drive so might sleep in car and start again in morning 👍

Find high water for owston ferry, 1 to 1 and half hours later will be low water at Normanton, bite O'Clock.

Anytime but when its quiet and you havent had a bite, then the last hour before low water and the hour after, should see your rod going over.

It's started to cross my mind over the last season certainly that sometimes fishing 2 rods is not better than 1!. Imo you can overlook the best spot to cast by simply casting one rod upstream then the other down! How often have we cast either side of the fish!! 😳

It's started to cross my mind over the last season certainly that sometimes fishing 2 rods is not better than 1!. Imo you can overlook the best spot to cast by simply casting one rod upstream then the other down! How often have we cast either side of the fish!! 😳
My results have not been affected using 1 rod in fact they’ve improved,used to use 2 but your less likely to move and you just get comfy in 1 swim,I spend about 30 minutes in each spot but always end up where I started so before I leave a swim I will bait up a little I must admit thou a bit harder in summer when the river’s busier ..

Just fish the way you do on the Ribble. You've no need for bivvies or two rods on the Trent or anywhere else really. You'll still catch using the tight tactics with the one rod.
A lot of the well known barbel anglers seem to bivvy up for at least 2 days and the amount of bait they say they use (probably sponsored) is crazy .. would you still do the same after dark 2-3 hrs say?

Like I say not a Trent expert here but anglers adopting the long haul bait and wait tactics are piling in the bait to draw fish in over a long period of time and keep them there. While Short session angling even into darkness is more about finding fish that are already there and obviously if you do you’ll need to feed something to keep them there. If I was to attempt the Trent for the first time I’d simply feed through a feeder on a short session into dark. I’d keep it fairly light and if there is no activity on the rod tips I’d have a move. A few feeder fulls out at the start to get something down and after that I’d just be applying feed with the hook bait via the feeder/maybe pva.

A lot of the well known barbel anglers seem to bivvy up for at least 2 days and the amount of bait they say they use (probably sponsored) is crazy .. would you still do the same after dark 2-3 hrs say?
Ste I fish the Trent and most of the anglers I observe are day anglers. Quite a few bivvy up (carp style) but on speaking to them, after getting to know each other, I wouldn't say they catch more fish by being there say 48 hours. I've observed you tend to get bites in certain light conditions and state of the tide. These catch conditions do change. I'll personally fish for about 12 hours due to the distance I'm travelling. Sometimes longer up to just less than 24 hours. I'll wind in at night when I'm getting my head down back in the car. Baiting amount quantities is open to debate.

Like I say not a Trent expert here but anglers adopting the long haul bait and wait tactics are piling in the bait to draw fish in over a long period of time and keep them there. While Short session angling even into darkness is more about finding fish that are already there and obviously if you do you’ll need to feed something to keep them there. If I was to attempt the Trent for the first time I’d simply feed through a feeder on a short session into dark. I’d keep it fairly light and if there is no activity on the rod tips I’d have a move. A few feeder fulls out at the start to get something down and after that I’d just be applying feed with the hook bait via the feeder/maybe pva.
Thanks mate makes sense 👍

Ste I fish the Trent and most of the anglers I observe are day anglers. Quite a few bivvy up (carp style) but on speaking to them, after getting to know each other, I wouldn't say they catch more fish by being there say 48 hours. I've observed you tend to get bites in certain light conditions and state of the tide. These catch conditions do change. I'll personally fish for about 12 hours due to the distance I'm travelling. Sometimes longer up to just less than 24 hours. I'll wind in at night when I'm getting my head down back in the car. Baiting amount quantities is open to debate.
Cheers mate definitely going to give it ago I’m going to fish exactly how I fish the ribble with good results

Back