• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mobile/lightweight brolly

Alan Palmer

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, I would like to get a ‘golfing size’ brolly when mobile fishing...to put up/huddle under when caught in odd heavy showers but not as bulky/heavy as a fishing one. Other than just getting a large brolly or golf brolly does anyone have any other recommendations?

Mil-Tec Umbrella Long

Woodland Camo

This durable, long and dome shaped umbrella is an ideal choice for camping or fishing trips as well as shopping or everyday use. The perfect way to keep dry in the rainy, windy, wet weather season.

• Waterproof and windproof
  • Telescopic 190T nylon taffeta, polyurethane-coated
  • Aluminum
  • Length closed: approx 81cm (31.8")
  • Span when open: 101cm (39.7")
  • Weight: about 340g
  • Manufacturer: Mil-Tec
  • Manufacturer's number: 10636020
  • Brand new
on eBay item number:
271683640182 £10.99

I got one from CKinetics about 8 years ago, brilliant little brolly that came with a detachable handle and spike, I searched the web and can't find anything like it now, Im thinking that when to gives up I'll buy a golf brolly and see if I can find a local engineering firm that could cut the handle off and make me a spike.

here's the one Steve suggested

loads on the web Alan

Thanks all for suggestions, think I might take a punt on the woodland camp brolly if nothing similar in local GoOutdoors

Alan you have it right, all you need is a golfing brolly and forget about all this fancy expensive crap about rib sizes etc. I get mine from Sports Direct at a cost of £6.00 for 2. I have used them in some torrential rain over the years. I arrange my bait and gear under my chair, and with the brolly up keep perfectly dry. They are very light and can be put up and taken down in seconds.
ATB
Colin

Alan you have it right, all you need is a golfing brolly and forget about all this fancy expensive crap about rib sizes etc. I get mine from Sports Direct at a cost of £6.00 for 2. I have used them in some torrential rain over the years. I arrange my bait and gear under my chair, and with the brolly up keep perfectly dry. They are very light and can be put up and taken down in seconds.
ATB
Colin
Ditto mines from Range, green brolly,cut off the end of the plastic handle with a hacksaw araldite an old screw thread in and use a small bankstick as a spike .Might look rough but is light weight waterproof and cheap and is now on its fourth season
Ken

Hi Alan I posted the info below back in June 2019 on this thread

"I hate carrying more weight than I have to, especially now older and weaker than when in my 'prime'. It's the age old issue of weight, mobility over comfort. Two winters ago I was still using an old (late 80's) Green efgeeco thick plastic/oil skin bullet proof 50" brolly for river fishing. Just about ok if you going to fish a specific swim and stay all day, but hellish heavy. Before last winter I looked at everything on the market. I decided that as I wear great clothing, I just needed something that would keep the worst of the wind and rain at bay and my chair and bag dry, and be light and quick to deploy/take down when semi roving. I settled on the NGT 45" brolly (as shown above in Terry's post). I added a length of strong para cord and carry an additional short but strong bank stick to peg it down. it weighs only 1.7Kg and fits easily into a 2 rod quiver. I used it all last winter in gusts up to 45+ mph. It survived and I'm very pleased with it. At around £20, if it goes west! I'll just invest in another one."

See Go-outdoors link below.

Thanks all for the suggestions...after much deliberation I opted for a cheap army surplus poncho. Packs down nice and small/light and can slip on in event of heavy downpours. Downside it isn’t breathable but will only use for short periods, upside is it will cover me and tackle bags etc while sitting on seat. I’m pretty confident it will cover my needs...I’ll get a pic taken at some stage

I got one from CKinetics about 8 years ago, brilliant little brolly that came with a detachable handle and spike, I searched the web and can't find anything like it now, Im thinking that when to gives up I'll buy a golf brolly and see if I can find a local engineering firm that could cut the handle off and make me a spike.
PM Cliff

Back