• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wafter

They are very good at hooking......................CHUB:):p

They are work for barbel but I wouldnt say they are better than standard bottom baits.

Baitworks do little 8x13mm wafters that balance a size 8 Pallatrax hook perfectly. I stopped getting chubby rattles with this set up; they were being nailed.

Hi Chris
I did play around with them last season - I whittled down a Sticky Baits Krill wafter and counter-balanced it with a 12mm shelf life boilie so it was just hovering off the bottom. Had a few fish on them including a double but no better results than bottom baits.
Not sure I'll be bothering this season as a bit of a faff on and addition of paste unbalances it until it washes off.
Definitively worth a go for chub as previously stated.

I have used a pop up on a long shank hook, a balanced shot on the braid next to the eye, so that the hook entered the mouth before the bait. The bait was presented about an inch above the bottom(the length of the hook and bait) and above the hook. It looked horrible but did catch a lot of big chub which I usually try to avoid on my normal set up. It did get me a Barbel just under 14lb from a tiny stream that has no river record. That fish had picked up two other usually reliable presentations the night before without being hooked.

I have used a pop up on a long shank hook, a balanced shot on the braid next to the eye, so that the hook entered the mouth before the bait. The bait was presented about an inch above the bottom(the length of the hook and bait) and above the hook. It looked horrible but did catch a lot of big chub which I usually try to avoid on my normal set up. It did get me a Barbel just under 14lb from a tiny stream that has no river record. That fish had picked up two other usually reliable presentations the night before without being hooked.

Struggling to envision that, maybe it’s my brain. Sounds interesting though for Chub fishing. Any chance of a picture or sketch?

20190415_092148.jpg

I should have drawn in the river bed, the shot sits on the bottom. You can play about where you take the pop up off of the hook which will change the angle the hook sits at. Just whip more turns on your knotless knot or change the hook pattern. You do need to use a pva bag because the hookbait will tangle if not secured to the bag and also a heavy lead and short hooklength.

Mark, this is all getting very carpy ;)
Yep Derek very Carpy but just a slight variation on a hair rigged boilie or peller that's a standard barbel set up these days. Just another addition for the armoury. My normal set up with a back lead avoids chub so this is rarely used. When I fish for chub I do like to hold the rod and fish for them, either with a float or minimum of lead, rather than put the rod in the rest and trap them.

Last edited:
Back