• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Parking at Laycock

THinking of fishing at LAYCOCK but it's been a long time since I was there.
Can you still park in the Nation trust car park?
And do they lock the gates later in the day?
Any info appreciated.

Park at the Red lion it's free.

Thanks Clive,
I was beginning to think no one fishes there anymore!
So I rang Nat trust who said I it would cost £13.50 for the privilege what an outfit.

As Clive said, park in the Red Lion car park. There's an honesty box by the entrance if you want to contribute - I always chuck a quid in, but it's not compulsory.

Lacock and Claverton are about the only parts of the BA that do still get fished with any regularity, but it's nothing like it used to be in the 90s - I lost count of the number of times I turned up at Claverton back then at stupid o'clock in the morning during mid-week in early summer (before the schools broke up) to find it already busy. These days you can turn up to both on a Saturday or Sunday in clement weather and there's a reasonable chance you'll have the entire stretch to yourself.

I would say Lacock has far more fish and far more variety, but I think Claverton still produces the largest of most species, albeit very few and far between.

Lacock is still quite busy in all but the very harshest weather conditions all year round with non-anglers (abbey visitors, dog walkers, joggers, wild swimmers, picnickers etc etc) but it's still a lovely place to fish with a lot of accessible swims.

As Clive said, park in the Red Lion car park. There's an honesty box by the entrance if you want to contribute - I always chuck a quid in, but it's not compulsory.

Lacock and Claverton are about the only parts of the BA that do still get fished with any regularity, but it's nothing like it used to be in the 90s - I lost count of the number of times I turned up at Claverton back then at stupid o'clock in the morning during mid-week in early summer (before the schools broke up) to find it already busy. These days you can turn up to both on a Saturday or Sunday in clement weather and there's a reasonable chance you'll have the entire stretch to yourself.

I would say Lacock has far more fish and far more variety, but I think Claverton still produces the largest of most species, albeit very few and far between.

Lacock is still quite busy in all but the very harshest weather conditions all year round with non-anglers (abbey visitors, dog walkers, joggers, wild swimmers, picnickers etc etc) but it's still a lovely place to fish with a lot of accessible swims.
Thanks Steve very helpful. Like you I used to do the same in those days. I got to know it very well up at Lacock, but still any barbel caught was prized. I used to like the intimacy of those small swims. And thinking might visit the old place again

Back