• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Zander

Yep - I've caught small Zeds on worms in the past and a mate had a 6lb'er on a bright yellow pop-up in the middle of a winter night.:)

Steve - I thought the Severn record had been broken with a fish from the 'Eastside' - 22lb+. Was it never accepted ?
The Severn fish being 21.05 - I'm sure a 25lb'er 'aint too far away ;)

As far as I know, James's 21lber is still the record.......

I know someone was trying to claim a 22 from a big trout water (Starting with G), but after seeing the pictures.....:eek::rolleyes::D and it's all gone quiet over there......

To be honest, if your going to weigh a potential record while still afloat you get what you deserve.........

Steve

Scuba

I’m sure Grafham could do a very big fish but the one you mentioned was not it!

Trouble is Grafham is so deep and Zander don’t survive well coming up from the depths and as I am sure you are aware, their swim bladder is controlled by gas exchange via the blood and not a valve like Cyprinids so returning them quickly is so very important, I am sure many fish are killed at Grafham every year purely because anglers do not know how to return them.

If a record was to be claimed the fish would probably have to be killed and then weighed on the bank, which as you know gives a far more accurate reading.

I would not kill one for the sake of a record claim but I am sure many would.

I killed a big one once when I was abroad to prove a point and even though we ate it I still feel a bit guilty about it.

I am more than happy to kill smaller fish for the table though!

Tight lines mate!!

Not as far as I know list.

Apart from the Severn fish there was a 'claimed' 22 from Grafham.......

Grafham_record_v2.jpg

That looked more like 12......
It was submitted as a record claim, but I've not heard anything else about it since.

So as far as I'm concerned, its the 21 from the Severn that I've got to beat.........

Steve

It's a big 'un that's for sure.

Makes the '22' look like a splasher

Why do people do it?????

Finally caught one, and a nice one at 13lb 8oz too
b4735b5ac594dd4eafb29b03fd57bee31f8965a.JPG

Simon
It was a river fish - tho' more like a midwater missile when it took off.

Nice one. One of my current targets is a river double. Not easy to locate by design.

Looking again, if that Tewkesbury Z is the current record, (first pic of it I've seen), then maybe with witnesses etc it's a genuine weight and I'm wrong.

Doesn't look it tho' having looked at some pics of other big fish since last post.

Ho hum, gettin too cynical with age, maybe.....:eek:

I really enjoyed my first attempt of the season to catch a zed last week with 3 to 3lb 7oz.

Had a great result this weekend with this beauty first cast at dusk

P7230633-1.jpg

A new pb at 9lb 3oz

A question for the zander fishermen of the board:

What hooking arrangement do you use? Do you change anything from summer to winter?
Have you tried circle hooks, and do you hook the bait on direct or use a hair rigs?

Your help would be appreciated -pm if you prefer.

A question for the zander fishermen of the board:

What hooking arrangement do you use? Do you change anything from summer to winter?
Have you tried circle hooks, and do you hook the bait on direct or use a hair rigs?

Your help would be appreciated -pm if you prefer.

For lives, Dyson Rig with single barbless size 6 with a bit of rubber-band to keep the bait on.

Small deads tail-hooked on size 8 semi-barbless treble. Just the one if I'm targetting Zeds with small baits. I use a modified Dyson with deads, for maximum sensitivity and least resistance to a take. Also keeps the mainline above any weed.

I've tried circles, hair-rigs etc, but tbh all my best Zeds have come to the standard rigs, either Pro-Leader or normal Wire traces. The bigger fish come to deads in Winter.

And Summer and Autumn too, I'm starting to feel. :cool:

Had my first trip out on my boat on Friday night.

Fished the Lower Severn.

Its a fairly new venue for me, but I'm going to be spending most of my time on there this coming Autumn/Winter.

This trip was really a fact finding mission, and I didn't expect to catch.
I spent a few hours catching bait with a deadbait out off the back of the boat.
Nothing picked up the dead, so once I'd got a dozen baits I started trolling upstream.
IMG_1584.jpg

Found a few features in the first mile of so, but felt that I wanted to be a little further upstream for the night, so carried on trolling.
I was amazed and the depth variations.
One minute I'm in 13ft of water, next its down to 20ft, then its back to 8ft....
Not quick changes, just gradual slopes.
One area of 8-9ft water was covered in weed......looked ideal for a barbel or two....

Came to a big sweeping bend where the river widened.
I fancied the far side, but when I got there the finder was only showing 6-7ft :(.
I was just about to carry on upstream when I decided to swing into the inside and check that bit of water out......

13ft right under the bank, with a nice flow.
That will do for the night :)

Changed over to bottom baits set the alarms up.
Before I'd got the second rod in the first was away, but I managed to bump the fish off :(:(:(. To be honest I didn't expect a run so quickly.
About 10 mins later I had my first Zander of the session on the boat, a fish of around 5lbs.

Curry and rice for tea, with some banana cake for afters with a cup of tea...

Another Zed was then Banked, which was about the same.

It went quiet for a bit so I decided to get into the cuddy for a bit of shut eye.

I had a few more fish during the night, and a mad feeding spell just before dawn, meant I ended with 8 Zander to around 8lbs.
IMG_1591.jpg

Interestingly, one of the Zeds I caught coughed up its breakfast...
IMG_1593.jpg
Bacon sandwich and more tea for breakfast for me, then a slow run back home, finding a few more features to try at a later date....

Not a bad session for my first of the year.

Steve

Back