• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Taking pictures when fishing alone..

Chris Cheshire

sorry if it seems I am flooding this forum... but being away from this forum so long I just have so many questions!!

I fish alone most of the time, and more often than not I don't have anyone on hand to take pictures of me holding the fish I catch. I have therefore taken to taking pictures of my fish on my unhooking mat - to which I have a sewn a fabric inch scale measuring tape similar to that used by a seamstress.

Does anyone have a better way of recording their catches? I don't really want to have to go to the trouble of lugging a tripod with me everywhere I go.

Kindest Regards
Chris

Hi Chris,

I can also recommend the Gardner camera adaptor,it is really simple to use and screws into a standard bankstick.I have been using mine for a couple of years now as I am mainly fishing alone.

I set my digital camera to timer mode and after some trial and error photos have got it right.:)

although this was one of my first efforts...........................

123HHPeg-1.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::(

I now know to get about 1 metre from the camera and usually(not always)get the pic at the first attempt.I have 10 seconds in timer mode from pressing the shutter and the photo being taken.

I have the fish ready in the landing net,usually on grass but if on a gravel bank placed on the unhooking mat.Then I press the shutter,wait a few seconds,then lift the fish and try and hold it at the same height as the lens and a metre away.

On my digital camera a red led flashes intermittently and gradually quickens towards the end of 10 seconds which lets you know when the picture is taken.

I have got more successful with practice but still have the occasional failure.I don't know the weight of the above fish as in my excitement and haste to set up the camera after catching a good un,I trod on the weighing scales and they came off second best :D

Taking pics of fish on a mat do not show much, so now have it sorted. Got a new (used) camera on advice - a Canon Powershot A630

'tis easy, I was told, to take yerself and fish .....................

1. Set up camera on "continuous", "5 shots" - done :)

2. Set up camera on bankstick adapter thingy - done :)

3. Ensure fish is safe and ready - done :)

4. Press shutter and get into position - done :)

5. Look at each image and adjust your pose - errrrrrrrrrr :eek:

This was the result - and I'm deadly serious about this, exactly the result I got first time.

multi00.jpg

multi01.jpg

multi02.jpg

multi03.jpg

multi04.jpg

My rather miserable aggresive pose in the final pic was due to me likely having said #*#!&*# during the sequence :D

paul4

hahahahahahaha Paul!!! I personally think pic 2/5 was the best ;)

but I get your point, I have a decent slr, but think i'll trawl ebay for a cheapie that takes good pics at close range and the bankstick adaptor looks great!

Chris

It seems the general way forward is to perfect art of self takes and get some great shots.

Then brush up on your Photoshop skills, spend plenty of time splodging out the background and then upload them to your favourite forum ;)

Otherwise, you could just stick 'em on the mat and carry on as you were :D

Stephen

Chris,
I also fish alone in the main, and I have used a small very light weight tripod that I have had for years. It folds down to 12" and extends to 24" and weighs no more than a normal bank stick.
Check out the site shop they have the standard bank stick adaptor, and an infinately more adjustable one from Gardener.
Also there is something called a Gorilapod which is black and white with bendy legs so that it can be twisted round something to hold the camera in position.
ATB
Colin

I use one of those small gorilla gripper tripods, can attach it to most things but usually just sit it on my chair, take a pic with it to check what's in the frame while the fish is resting in the net, iset to 6 continuous shots and bob's your uncle:)

The Canon A630, and other models) has a swivel screen so it can be rotated to point the same way as the lens. At night you can see the image in the screen if you have a headtorch on, but if not you can see what you've just taken flashing up in the screen and adjust your pose accordingly.

The Gardener Camera Angle Adaptor see the BFW shop is probably the best (says me ;)) but remember to tighten up first which is what I DI NOT do for my first attempt (pictured earlier) and it swivelled and dangled a bit during the sequence :)

paul4

This is first season I've started taking self takes too. Another vote for gardener bank stick adaptor.

I've found it fairly trouble free so far. Saying that I don't catch much worth photographing! In fact since i purchased my camera i seem to be using it mostly to photograph mates' fish!

Also I splashed out on canon g1x which had a flip screen so made it a lot easier as I can see myself prior to setting off self timer!

Chris, bank stick, camera adapter, self timer...semples! - As Paul has demonstrated. :D A good idea is to practice in your garden first.

Many of the Cannon cameras have a self-timer setting which allows you a 10 second delay, and then up to 10 shots.
However, I find that after resting the fish, it always misbehaves and the first 9 shots are of comedy barbel juggling.:eek:

Used a canon power shot s1 flip round screen n tiny remote you hold in your hand.
Cracking camera don't bother with bank sticks etc just sit it on my rucksack n fire away.
Pick them up cheap on flea bay if you can find one

Mark

im with rob on this one,small gorilla pod wrapped around my chair or on a tree branch.......easy. :rolleyes:........with practice. :)

Here,s a kipper taken with the canon powershot a640 with the lcd flipped round,took off my chair, a bit over exposed but you get the idea:D

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 317
I used the Gardner adapter and then added a Cannon G5 last season to good effect. The flip screen and remote control are very useful and I've even managed to make the home page with the latest effort, which is nice. Picked the camera up for about £50 from memory but means I can usually get a half decent shot and not have to guess.

and more often than not I don't have anyone on hand to take pictures of me holding the fish I catch.

Does anyone have a better way of recording their catches? I don't really want to have to go to the trouble of lugging a tripod with me everywhere I go.

Kindest Regards
Chris

Quite right Chris, look I'm in Tewkesbury too:cool: Just give me a 'bell and I will do the honours, love the idea of new places to fish, so will serve us both well :rolleyes:
But my old compact has suffered a bit from some from the attentions of my crazy Springer, and my other camera I smashed in the boot trim of the car, :mad: but don't worry I will 'borrow' the wife's nice Panasonic.
Personally I am not that worried about taking pictures of my fish, I mean one double looks just like another:) main concern is feeling that 'kick' when they want to go.
Welcome back to the fold Chris, see you around.

Back