• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

splosh!!

After many years of watching the fish in my koi pond I have come to the conclusion that some fish are surface breachers and the vast majority are not.

I have one large koi who provides us with hours of entertainment on summer evenings leaving the water and tail walking while chasing black gnats. The other fish totally ignore him, sometimes he puts on a better display than the dolphins at sea world.

I used to think that when you find a swim where fish tend to roll or breach that it was different fish breaching and was in response to some peculiarity of the swim. However; over many years of fishing a couple of local swims where fish used to show themselves on a regular basis I have recently noticed that this behaviour has ceased, I can only conclude that the individual fish who was responsible for showing itself, in both swims, has gone to the great river in the sky.

I could of course be completely wrong.

Know exactly what you mean Adrian, and I am sure you are right. On one small, medium to low stocked carp water I fished for some time, we were regularly entertained by a couple of character fish. They would tail walk, porpoise, multi jump...one even used to quite regularly do backward flips :eek:

They were always the same fish...we knew, because we were frequently close enough to recognise them...and just to REALLY stir up the purists :D yes they did have names, and we loved 'em all, almost like our own children :p

I shall put my tin hat on now :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave

ive heard of budgie jumping....but not cows....they dont like hieghts........taxi

Back