• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Snapped quivers etc

Neil Smart

I was scrolling through my phone looking at the video shorts, no not those😐 ....and I came across a guy using cigarette ash and super glue to make good broken plastic, carbon products. It seemed to dry hard and would take drilling sanding etc. Am I right in thinking burnt ash is carbon? so perhaps by shaping a former around the broken rod ends it just might work.
Job for Richard I think. I have chucked the fags.☺

I was scrolling through my phone looking at the video shorts, no not those😐 ....and I came across a guy using cigarette ash and super glue to make good broken plastic, carbon products. It seemed to dry hard and would take drilling sanding etc. Am I right in thinking burnt ash is carbon? so perhaps by shaping a former around the broken rod ends it just might work.
Job for Richard I think. I have chucked the fags.☺
Hardness and strength are two completely different mechanical properties of a material. the joint made of carbon and glue might be very hard but I doubt it will be able to bond two pieces of broken rod to create a strong joint.
Maybe with a large build up over a decent sized area it could do it but then if that’s the case you may as well sleave it anyway.
You can buy flexible repair resins like what are used for car and bike plastic repair jobs. They are a fibre glas resin and they go off very hard yet retain flexibility. Some pole repair kits use similar stuff too in like a resin rap

Personally I’d never repair a rod no matter how old or valuable it may be. Once it’s snapped it’s never the same and just not worth keeping imo

Yep I can see the flexibility issues might be a problem. But might be a quick fix for some other applications. I mean smoking and super glue is stock in trade for some anglers. Broken spreader block etc? Struggling here🤔

Yep I can see the flexibility issues might be a problem. But might be a quick fix for some other applications. I mean smoking and super glue is stock in trade for some anglers. Broken spreader block etc? Struggling here🤔
There's carbon and then there's carbon Neil, and in all its forms/guises it will have strengths and weaknesses. That is, diamonds are very hard, carbon black makes a great pigment (but it's made of extremely small particles riddled with microscopic holes that hold air/oxygen, and that's why black paint is prone to gelation), graphene is astonishingly strong for its weight/thickness, and carbon fibre is relatively light for its strength, flexible, and weather/chemical resistant.
Smoke and exhaust fumes etc are carbon rich, and soot and ash are over 95% carbon, but neither of those are any f'in use to man nor beast 😂
That is, just because it's made of carbon doesn't mean it's useful (I know this as I've just had my arm up the flue pipe of my wood burner, clearing out handfuls of clag😂)

The clip I saw used fag ash mixed with super glue made an extremely strong medium that can be shaped and drilled. Not sure tobacco ash has any unique properties that sets it apart but it was impressive.

Back