• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Significant advance in carbon fibre rod building in the last 20 years?

Julian Marshall

Managed a day`s trotting a couple of weeks back. It was a bit of a shock to realise that my carbon rod must be all of 20 years old now. How would a brand new one compare with it? Has there been a real change in manufacture or advances in the fibres used or maybe the resin in that time?
It seems boron came & went pretty quickly without making much of a mark, also the whisker bits from Diawa.
Would be interested to know from a materials science point of view if there are some knowledgeable folk out there who can cut through any advertising claptrap.
Thanks, Julian

As far as I am awarecarbon fibre these days isnt as good as the good old days. The quest for cheaper products has seen to that. Diamura, amorphous and Normark blanks are forever lost. Carbotec rods were made of possibly the best carbon fibre money could buy and a single rod had an rrp of over £400. I watched a carbotec feeder system go for over £1200 a couple of years ago and thats how much the match lads rate them.

i miss my Shakespeare mach 2 boron.

I forgot that one. Only last week I was chatting to an old mate who has the fourteen foot version. I can still see him now stick floating for Chub on the trent in the 80s

I forgot that one. Only last week I was chatting to an old mate who has the fourteen foot version. I can still see him now stick floating for Chub on the trent in the 80s
i had the 13 ft spliced tip, nice green blanks.:D

For delicate float work was there ever a better rod than the Normark Microlights......in fact I dont think anybody has really understood the material as well as Omri Thomas.

I much prefer the older blanks, they seem to be so much more forgiving with a better action.

Or have i got my rose tinted spectacles on again.

I much prefer the older blanks, they seem to be so much more forgiving with a better action.

Or have i got my rose tinted spectacles on again.

It might just be that you catch bigger fish now Tom :D I must say, I do agree with the consensus of opinion on this, but then again, I have to admit that I am no connoisseur of rods and blanks.

The one I've got is very nice :D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I prefer the older carbon. I have a whisker float rod and used to use a connoisseur pole that was better than the competition years after it came out. Newer carbon is much lighter and stiffer but I think it feels more brittle

I hope I'm permitted to add the following link? It refers to a carbon technology ordinarily used by Dunlop for tennis rackets and golf clubs, etc. Some kind of honeycomb-style carbon construction. The rods look ok and are very cheap (considering it's a new method of construction) - there's a link within the link.

What do you all think?

Rod Technology set to Enter New Phase

Thanks for all the comments - it seems cost may be very significant here. I love the idea of the Dunlop rods & will try & get a wiggle in a sports direct - I was in their Yorkshire factory once 30 years ago & was made aware of the hollow `polymer` racquets they were just starting to market - hollow but fully formed for stringing - it was injection moulded around a low melting point alloy, heat up the lot & the metal ran out through the handle! Very clever. The hexagon bit made me think of a hexagraph for a moment ....... but it isn`t - the rod appears circular in x-section.
Think I`ll stick with the old rod for now, it might be a Normark blank being a Terry Eustace or possibly one he had made up to his own spec - Northwestern?
I`m probably too clumsy to notice much of a difference.

Twenty five quid! That's ridiculous, I don't know how they can possibly produce and ship a rod for that price.

Well Dragon Carp have been doing it for years so it's not that surprising. Hang on - haven't Sports Direct just bought Dragon Carp? New technology or same old rubish with a different brand name on? I wonder . . .

Going back to the original post - i'm suprised more people haven't come to the defence of modern carbon rods. If this was a reel thread you'ld get the usual rose tinted posts about Abu Cardinals and Mitchell 300's then along come the Techniums, XTEA's, Certates or whatever and it's plainly obvious modern is best. Not so with rods it seems.

Well Dragon Carp have been doing it for years so it's not that surprising. Hang on - haven't Sports Direct just bought Dragon Carp? New technology or same old rubish with a different brand name on? I wonder . . .

So is this a quality product or a pile of old poo? I'm confused.:confused:

Back