• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Shimano

Alex Gowney

Senior Member & Supporter
Does anyone know the address to send Shimano reels for servicing? I know it's in Wales but can't find a postal address to send to. Thanks.

I have heard from a "source" that Shimano dont actually do anything when they recieve reels for servicing, just "clean them up" - has anybody experienced this first hand?

Hmmm, that would be a tough one to establish...
I've only sent mine back for repair, for which they have done a sterling job, ie, turn around time.

Ian

Me too, if a reel don't need repairing, a clean up/ service is usually all that's needed, I would have thought

I have heard from a "source" that Shimano dont actually do anything when they recieve reels for servicing, just "clean them up"

To be fair, what exactly would you expect them to do as part of a service provided no part of the reel was damaged?:confused:

Felindre absolutely ROCK !

OK that tells you I have lived in the US for too long.

Seriously I have nothing but praise for the help I have received from them over the years from repairing reels to tracking down parts for long discontinued rods.

I have to say that I sent an old Shimano Super GTM to them a few years ago as it felt really stiff/heavy when winding in. It came back in ultra quick time, nice and clean, and only cost a few quid, but, it was still totally unusable.

Just my experience of a service...

AF

I have to say that I sent an old Shimano Super GTM to them a few years ago as it felt really stiff/heavy when winding in. It came back in ultra quick time, nice and clean, and only cost a few quid, but, it was still totally unusable.

Just my experience of a service...

AF

Reading between the lines of Mark de Lancey's post, I think what he actually meant ties in exactly with your experience Andy, in that at least some reels that go to Shimano for a 'Service' end up with a mere external 'tarting' up, rather than being taken apart and overhauled. Not what most of us actually hoped for, but I guess if they did a total overhaul on every reel, it would work out expensive. I can't help thinking though that if, when we took our car in for a service, they just put it through the car wash, buffed it up with a chamois and handed it back....there would be a few very upset motorist's!

Also, you would have thought that in cases such as your own, where the reel obviously had an internal problem, they could at least inform you that there would be further costs involved if they proceded, and let you make the choice....or is that too sensible :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I would suggest that if you don't get the service you expected then you complain.
From their site

Non-Warranty Servicing
Reel Servicing
Your Shimano Reel is designed to provide years of reliable service when properly maintained. In order to keep your reel in tip-top condition, it is recommended that they be professionally cleaned and lubricated, at least once a year, by a Shimano approved service centre.

Returning Your Reel
If there is a problem with your Shimano reel, or you simply require the reel to have its regular service, then please complete the reel return form, which can be found on the web site, print it and send it to us along with the packaged reel. Remember to pack the reel securely to ensure a safe transit. We recommend that you use the recorded delivery service or alternative.

Cost
Unfortunately, we cannot give an exact price without stripping the reel, as internal components may need to be replaced. Listed below are the approximate service costs.

•Labour: £8.00 - £10.00 per reel

•Return Shipping: £4.00 - £7.00 plus parts if required and VAT.

If requested, our engineer can inspect the reel and phone to let you know the cost prior to proceeding. Otherwise, the engineer will proceed with the service or repair.
Payment
Once the service / repair is complete you will be contacted with the total cost.

Payment can be made by most major credit or debit cards. We also accept payment by cheque or postal order, which should be made payable to Felindre Servicing (SAS).

My two old shimanos are not in bad shape but the clutches are a bit unreliable now. maybe I just need to replace them. I don't know enough about reel technology to know whether a service will get them working smoothly again or just "tart them up" which I don't really need.

My two old shimanos are not in bad shape but the clutches are a bit unreliable now. maybe I just need to replace them. I don't know enough about reel technology to know whether a service will get them working smoothly again or just "tart them up" which I don't really need.

I think Freds post above tells you all you need to know on that score Alex.

I know of no business/service industry, whatever, in this day and age that charges less than £40 P/H labour, and most are WAY more than that. Shimano are quoting £8 to £10 for a service, which means that what they call a 'service' takes their staff a maximum of a quarter of an hour, and more likey a lot less.

Obviously, it is not possible to do more than have a very superficial look, and a wipe with a solvent dampened cloth in that time, probably not even time to lubricate anything much. There is certainly not enough time to strip the reel down to check for internal problems.

I have not seen the return form that is mentioned, but I would imagine that you have to state clearly that there is a problem which requires a strip down before anything would be done, and even then it appears that things are sometimes missed. The fact that a reel that was so stiff that it was unusable was sent back as 'serviced' points to just how superficial the whole thing is....they obviously hadn't even bothered to try turning the handle during this 'service' :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

i have found them extremely helpful, in fact more than helpful, they told me some info on spools on the expensive technium range (carp) that saved me a lot of money, they also sent me free handles when i inadvertantly dismantled my baitrunners years ago and they sent me 2 new handles free of charge
and repaired and delivered my old ones back for free, i wouldn,t hesitate ti ring them with a problem on my shimanos:)

Felindre

I've used Felindre for spares and for a repair (not servicing). Can't fault them. They repaired a faulty clutch and broken anti reverse on a baitrunner that i'd had a couple of attempts at trying to rectify and the charge was reasonable. One one occaision, I ordered a spare part on Friday lunchtime and it arrived in Brum first post Saturday morning. Outstanding!

Thanks for all the replies I'll call them and explain what I want then hopefully they'll let me know if they can help.

I've used Felindre for spares and for a repair (not servicing). Can't fault them. They repaired a faulty clutch and broken anti reverse on a baitrunner that i'd had a couple of attempts at trying to rectify and the charge was reasonable. One one occaision, I ordered a spare part on Friday lunchtime and it arrived in Brum first post Saturday morning. Outstanding!

Hi Nicholas,

I wonder if you would you mind letting us know (as far as you recall) what your repairs did cost fella? 'Reasonable' is such a subjective thing :D It is just that they quote the average cost of a 'service', but I would love to know what an actual repair costs.

Cheer, Dave.

Last edited:
david, you cannot assume every big company especially the size of shimano
tries to make a large profit from after sales care because not all do.

Sent my XTEA5000 for service (bail arm not returning properly), they replaced the whole bale arm and serviced for £35

Very quick turnaround.

Back