• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

rod refurbs/repaires

Derek Funcks

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all, while mooching through the shed, i came across a rod which i believe is quite old, (as it has sliding reel fittings), it is a 3 piece float rod. Diawa Matchlite. Original cloth bag ,minus the bag ties, is extremely light, and weighs next to nothing. One of the eyes looks like it has had a bit of a botched job repair, cotton and glue. I am not trying to sell this rod to anyone, but if any of you guys may be interested, for the price of a piece of downpipe and p&p, plus a donation of ANY AMOUNT OF YOUR CHOICE, to this years nominated BFW Charities, its yours. Can send pics if required.

Here's the relevant page from the 1993 Daiwa catalogue.

Attachments

• Daiwa 1993.pdf
    955.5 KB · Views: 273
Its in a very decent condition for its age, apart from the one eye, ,must be worth the postage and donation to someone who likes to fix rods as a hobby-pastime.
I,ll try and post some pics later if i get time.

Thought this would have made a decent project for somebody.

But, as there have been no takers, ive decided to keep it, i will get the dodgy eye repaired properly, team it up with a shimmy stradic 2500, some 4lb maxima, and a quill float. Keep it in the boot of my cab, for some early morning tench fishing.

But, as there have been no takers, ive decided to keep it, i will get the dodgy eye repaired properly, team it up with a shimmy stradic 2500, some 4lb maxima, and a quill float. Keep it in the boot of my cab, for some early morning tench fishing.
Sounds like a great plan Derek. It was a very generous offer you made but be selfish now and enjoy the rod and your early morning Tenching sessions after a night on the rank. Give cockles a go as bait 😉

Sounds like a great plan Derek. It was a very generous offer you made but be selfish now and enjoy the rod and your early morning Tenching sessions after a night on the rank. Give cockles a go as bait 😉
Thank you Bill, but so early in the morning, the cockles are staying in my boxxies, ( they.d be too small ) 🤪 i,ll be using tinned corn or bread 😁
👍

Something special with using an older rod from a time when folk had to save up to by gear. My first proper float rod was a Daiwa I gave the tackle shop a fiver a month until it was mine. It served me well with many good Tench from South Cerney. Best session was 20 fish a May morning on the float . Good luck mate.

Back