• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roach

Thanks all. Still chuffed at this. I'd taken my 5 year old out with me for a couple of hours. He'd been on at me for ages to take him Grayling fishing. I used the time to try and get him to grips with a quiver tip.
Can't cast yet and his striking is just about there but the playing is fine as he's been fishing the whip since he could walk.
Anyway, he had a couple of little grayling and I even forgave him for getting them the heathens way haha.

This roach came on the first of 4 trots that I allowed myself before we set off home and came off the back of a lunch hour session on the Copper Mill in Walthamstow giving me a new PB chub of 6lb 13oz

Regarding DAy tickets and Roach, there are some good Roach on some of the RDAA day ticket stretches. Drop me a PM if interested Matt.

Very enjoyable roach day with over 100 fish to around 1 and a half.

Looked like some showing signs of spawn??

roa8-1.jpg

Roach Heaven on the River Test

Hi all,
if anyone's interested in some awesome roach fishing on the River Test's exclusive Testwood Pool please pm me. Two pound plus fish are definitely on the cards! Bookings are for a minimum of 2 anglers, and a maximum of 3. I warn you that it's not cheap, but it is fantastic, and includes the use of a punt if desired. The access is easy, it's beautifully maintained, it's got a posh fishing hut, and it's full of fish. Roach fishing Heaven?

On another beat of the same fishery there's also some superb grayling fishing available that's not quite as costly. Two pound plus grayling are present. again pm me for details.

thanks, Tim

Cracking fish will! Have set myself a target of having a decent roach this winter, having never caught them by design before, just wondering if anyone knows if aldermaston mill has any form for decent roach was thinking of fishing the stretch above the weir for them my thinking being its slower/deeper or am I on totally wrong in thinking that? Any advice gladly appreciated or can anyone reccommend any other day tickets local to Basingstoke, (rivers not lakes)

Matt,

Apologies for delay in responding but haven't checked the forum for some time!

Have you considered the LAA stretch of the Avon at Britford, just below Salisbury. Available on day ticket, with a friendly and helpful keeper (Stuart) and some cracking roach, if you can get amongst them. Not a million miles away from you in Basingstoke and a relatively easy drive down the A30 to get there as well.

Dave

With my beloved Severn being so out of sorts for the last couple of months I've been concentrating my efforts on the Llangollen canal at the end of my garden. Been getting roach in quantity, fishing punch bread and short late afternoon sessions producing between 10-20 fish each time, but the quality 1lb+ fish not been showing.

With regards to Tim's post on a guided day on the testwood pool, if anyone would like to share a day, please let me know asap, as there isn't many dates left. £125 each.

Another enjoyable day trotting on the Kennet with over 50 roach, small though up to 12oz but great fun. Also a few dace, gudgeon and chub as well as the Bream!

Graham

Hi GE,
i had a go on the Pats a couple of days ago. Unfortunately no sizeable Roach but 7 different species, among them a couple of Rudd and some cracking herring sized Dace.
Beats sitting behind a motionless tip...:)

Hi Steve. Yes, I am doing more trotting than ever for all species.

It's so good to see so many roach on the stretch of the Kennet I'm fishing Steve.

We both remember when it was a roach and dace river, with the odd barbel!

Graham

Hi Steve. Yes, I am doing more trotting than ever for all species.

It's so good to see so many roach on the stretch of the Kennet I'm fishing Steve.

We both remember when it was a roach and dace river, with the odd barbel!

Graham

This is inspiring stuff as I also want to put more emphasis on trotting (for whatever chooses to bite). Walking along the banks just before the season started it was exciting to see so many yummy looking swims.

Hi Howard.

I would suggest you choose a canal and river section. What is a bit strange is feeding hemp/maggots (and not more than 6 maggs a cast)the bites come fairly quickly BUT often dry up after a dozen or so fish, rather than increasing.

It pays to try a few swims till you find the fish and when they stop feeding - move, returning later for hopefully a few more.

Top of Ufton is usually quite reliable, canal side, where the river comes in. Or known roach swims like the last few before the Pub on the Wasing

Graham

Hi Howard.

I would suggest you choose a canal and river section. What is a bit strange is feeding hemp/maggots (and not more than 6 maggs a cast)the bites come fairly quickly BUT often dry up after a dozen or so fish, rather than increasing.

It pays to try a few swims till you find the fish and when they stop feeding - move, returning later for hopefully a few more.

Top of Ufton is usually quite reliable, canal side, where the river comes in. Or known roach swims like the last few before the Pub on the Wasing

Graham

Many thanks Graham- top advice and guidance as usual. And funny you should mention the swims near the Pub on the Wasing- that's exactly where I had in mind.

All the best.

Howard

This may seem a stupid question, but but for a few sessions on the Stour last summer and rolling meat I don't think I've done much else for a year or so but ledger targeting barbel. What sort of weight of mainline and end line would you recommend for for float fishing for the hopeful roach, chub and dace in full knowledge there might be a 14/15 Lb barbel lurking about the place. This question has troubled me for a while. I had a float from Tyle Mill with 6lb mainline straight through or with a flouro 3 to 4 ft end to hook but water was coloured and I felt over and under gunned at the same time. With clearer water might be even more so tricky for me to decide? Not after any secrets just curious. Cheers Nick

Last edited:
Nick.

I use silstar match in 6.6lb bs.(or 5.5 if clear) but with a 4lb to 18 hooklink or 5lb to 16 hooklink. I'm confident I can land any chub with this.

When I did a lot of trotting for barbel specifically I used the same line in 7.9bs or sometimes 9.1. This with tares, casters, maggots or lumps of meat.

Its a balance of fun with a drennan classic float rod for all excepting maybe a lost carp or barbel.

If barbel I use an old proton power rod that bends all the way through to the butt and has caught them over 12lb and carp over 20lb.

Graham

Thanks Graham you are a true gent. I'd be using a 1.5 t.c. Drennan series 7 Avon (the non tip section) and it seems right and through actioned - perhaps a little heavy for the roach but a good compromise for the chub and potential barbel I guess. Don't have too many rods. Thanks for the detailed reply, Cheers

Back