• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

RIP John Wilson

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
I've just read the incredibly sad news that my angling favourite John Wilson has died.

What a terrible loss. John is my first memory of angling on TV and I loved re-watching his Go Fishing series on video as a teenager. In fact I've just bought a boxset of DVDs for my own boy.

A very sad day for the angling world.

RIP John.

Here's a link to Angling Times story.

Andy

I'm absolutely gutted. NOBODY inspired me more to go fishing when I was a kid than John Wilson. I used to love watching Go Fishing with my old man.

I'll never forget a trip to John's Tackle Den when I was about 10 or 11 years old, and the advice he gave me and my cousin on how to go about fishing the Upper Bure, no easy task he warned us. He chucked us some extra maggots, and hooks etc. We couldn't quite believe we had actually met the great man himself, and how nice he was. A real gentleman. RIP.

Such a shame, had the pleasure of meeting him in his shop a couple of times - lets hope that he can get a bend in his rod wherever he has gone.

His exploits with Mahseer led to me visiting India and enjoying several years fishing the same parts of the Cauvery, he will be missed.

Yes, another legend lost. Condolences to his family

So sorry to learn of this awful news.
A brilliant fisherman and broadcaster.
His enthusiasm and humour were highly contagious and 'Go Fishing" was always a joy to watch - I watched that Bream episode only last week.
Will be greatly missed - RIP John

Back