• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reels for basias

John Smith 2

Just bought a couple of 2.75 basias and need reels to compliment them. Thunnus’s well recommended but not easy to find so appreciate your thoughts. ( Sold my full top of the range collection last year due to a health issue but now in the process of trying to replace everything)
Thanks for any suggestions

I've got Shimano X Aero 6000s on mine, not everyone's cup of tea, but I like them. I just can't get on with front drags.

IMG_3039.JPG

Okuma Aventa Baitfeeders in 5000 or 6000 (only spool depth is different, spool diameted identical)

They really look the business :)

AB5000.jpg

Very compact for a baitrunner, not unwieldy at all.

Super smooth, very smooth quick drag with very fine adjustments, full alu spools (including spare) one touch folding handle, proper metal line clip, balance well on a 2lb+ t/c rod, decent cranking power when retrieving big feeders in heavy flow.
They're about a third of the price of what they perform at, really top teir reels for not a lot of money.

I have a pair and played many double figure Barbel effortlessly on both small rivers like the Derwent and mighty rivers like the Trent.

Okuma Aventa Baitfeeders in 5000 or 6000 (only spool depth is different, spool diameted identical)

They really look the business :)

AB5000.jpg

Very compact for a baitrunner, not unwieldy at all.

Super smooth, very smooth quick drag with very fine adjustments, full alu spools (including spare) one touch folding handle, proper metal line clip, balance well on a 2lb+ t/c rod, decent cranking power when retrieving big feeders in heavy flow.
They're about a third of the price of what they perform at, really top teir reels for not a lot of money.

I have a pair and played many double figure Barbel effortlessly on both small rivers like the Derwent and mighty rivers like the Trent.

Daiwa 20 whisker 25QD on my basias absolutely love them

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. Always had shimano reels. All my rods and poles have been Daiwa so will check their reels out maybe

Are the Daiwa castizm and the 25qd now discontinued? Just been told that in Wickersley angling? Guess I’m now looking at shimanos.

Are the Daiwa castizm and the 25qd now discontinued? Just been told that in Wickersley angling? Guess I’m now looking at shimanos.

They still do lots of 25QD reels just the Cast'izm name has Seemingly been dropped.

21 Tournament feeder QD is nearest replacement.

Others with same body and spool size:

Whisker 25QD
23 TDR Distance 25QD

If you can't get Thunnus Jon, the 6000/8000 are a good second. I have had the castizm BRs, very nice reels, couldn't fault them, however the Thunnus were a far better balance for me.

Just been doing a search for you Jon... you can buy thunnus on amazon...
If your set on a Thunnus.

Back