• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch mouth grip

Christian Tyroll

Hi everyone

Whats the deal with the bass like mouth grip on perch?

Why are people doing it and is it bad for the fish?

Personally I think it looks horrible and feel somewhat triggered each time I see a photo of it. Although I am aware that my reaction is not based on any substance.

They're copying the yanks, they must think they look good when they hold a fish like that. It actually seems to have spread to other species like chub and barbel now also.

Trendy types are also referring to trotting as drift fishing, again, copying anglers across the pond 🙄.

A few years ago people seemed to be all over it as a BIG NO, with the suggestion that you can damage the mouth of the Perch.

They still do it on all the Scandinavian Perch videos I watch, including with some hefty fish, holding them from the mouth and just let to fish hang down.

Personally Ive really got into my Perch fishing over the last few years and I’ve never treated any other fish species this way, so out of habit I just don’t do it, as no need/desire to do so.

They're copying the yanks, they must think they look good when they hold a fish like that. It actually seems to have spread to other species like chub and barbel now also.

Trendy types are also referring to trotting as drift fishing, again, copying anglers across the pond 🙄.
I cannot understand why people would want to copy the yanks. We are British with our own identity! 🤣

I cannot understand why people would want to copy the yanks. We are British with our own identity! 🤣
The same reason people throw French words into English sentences and buy over priced shoes from Italy etc etc, the foreign is fancy and it’s been that way long before the British even drank tea. The Romans left Britain over 1500 years ago and people still think flip flops are cool…

Ugh, it's the Americanisation of our language that irritates me the most. I steadfastly refuse to say "Can I get a..." when ordering food or drink (usually in a pre-fab American coffee shop or suchlike 🙄)

Edit: I don't mean to say I demand it bluntly!! But "Please may I have..." is far more pleasant 😝

Ugh, it's the Americanisation of our language that irritates me the most. I steadfastly refuse to say "Can I get a..." when ordering food or drink (usually in a pre-fab American coffee shop or suchlike 🙄)

Edit: I don't mean to say I demand it bluntly!! But "Please may I have..." is far more pleasant 😝
Glad it's not just me!

Back