• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Local 'Experts'

Chris, I had a similar incident back end of last season!

There I was happily float fishing a local river when Mr Doom and Gloom stopped to have a chat, 40 mins later having told me that all the Barbel had been had by Otters and there were no Chub left in the river, he was still there and I was beginning to get just a little peeved.

He then told me "That Keith Speer bloke fishes here a bit!"

I replied "What that wan"@:*r, take no notice of him, he foul hooks all his fish and then uses photoshop to make em look bigger!!"

He agreed and went on to tell me how "he" filled it in with pellet for days before "he" fished and that was the only reason "he" manages to get the odd fish.

I was still laughing that evening as I loaded the car with another spectacular blank under my belt!!

Too many years ago to mention I was fishing a Kentish tench lake with my mate Jim when two adolescent 'local experts' strolled along and proceeded to tell us all about how good the fishing was. Eventually one of them informed us that Chris Turnbull fishes here and I'm sorry to say that I couldn't resist having a wind-up and telling them that Chris Turnbull was a total ******* and a compulsive liar who never caught anything worth catching, and that they should avoid him at all costs.

I wonder if they ever found out?

I'm amazed them two lads were still on the lake at all after what i told them about you and Jimmy :D

There is nothing wrong with a local expert, how else are you going to know you are fishing in the wrong place, with the wrong baits and the wrong reels.

Mind you the Internet experts take some beating too!

But, every now and then one of them catches a fish that makes you sit up and take notice.

I don't know what it is about fishing that seems to attract 'exaggerators'.

My personal favourite came from this chap fishing a small carp lake, who had hooked a monster, he was playing it for so long his arms were getting tired, so he handed it to his son. He then went home for his tea, returning later to find his son still playing it! He got it to the surface only for it to snap his 10lb line 'like cotton'. 'It was like a bag of cement!'

Then there's the mythical monster catfish in every body of water in the country, destroyer of tackle!

I think the latter of Steve's two "experts" IS actually quite a wise man, maybe a bit of overstating on his part but why not put others off..... As only a numpty would openly disclose the true potential of his "local" water and make his fishing harder...

Admittedly there are few secrets left on our rivers but; loose lips sink fisheries...;):)

Last edited:
"Mind you the Internet experts take some beating too!"

Absolutely and the irony of this thread is priceless:p

mike

Back